spc
uniqs
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

3 recommendations

knarf829 to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper

[Channels] Re: MPEG-4 is now being used for the .TV channels

Exactly not what I said. You take an UNCOMPRESSED SOURCE and compress it to MPEG2 it will be a larger file than if you take an UNCOMPRESSED SOURCE and compress it to MPEG4 at the same quality.

If you take any compressed source and compress it to another format - adding EXTRA COMPRESSION - you will wind up with a video of lesser quality no matter the file size

MPEG2 is a COMPRESSED SOURCE. MPEG4 is a COMPRESSED SOURCE. Transcoding one to the other will result in a worse looking video than you started out with even though going from 4 to 2 results in a larger file.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

You're really not getting it.
knarf829

1 recommendation

knarf829

You should ask for help in the A/V forum if you don't understand lossy and lossless A/V file handling. Seems to be going of the rails in this forum.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by knarf829:

You should ask for help in the A/V forum if you don't understand lossy and lossless A/V file handling.

I'm not sure that you understand the MPEG4 is lossy just like MPEG2. It just has a more efficient compression algorithm resulting in a smaller file/stream-size. They can be converted from one to the other without introducing further loss.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn

Premium Member

said by blue_trooper:

said by knarf829:

You should ask for help in the A/V forum if you don't understand lossy and lossless A/V file handling.

I'm not sure that you understand the MPEG4 is lossy just like MPEG2. It just has a more efficient compression algorithm resulting in a smaller file/stream-size. They can be converted from one to the other without introducing further loss.

No. They cannot. Every round of compression from MPEG2 to MPEG4 or vice versa removes information. There is no way to prevent this.

Both MPEG2 and MPEG4 are lossy formats. Converting from one lossy format to another introduces more loss. There is no way to have a lossless conversion between lossy formats.
knarf829

knarf829 to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

said by knarf829:

This is unequivocally false information. There's not even a debate on it. It's just wrong. It's not an opinion. It's the science of compression.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to knarf829

to knarf829
said by knarf829:

Exactly not what I said. You take an UNCOMPRESSED SOURCE and compress it to MPEG2 it will be a larger file than if you take an UNCOMPRESSED SOURCE and compress it to MPEG4 at the same quality.

The source is compressed. Literally no one distributes uncompressed source material.
knarf829

knarf829

said by 34764170:

said by knarf829:

The source is compressed. Literally no one distributes uncompressed source material.

Exactly. That's why Verizon taking MPEG2 sources and converting them to MPEG4, or taking MPEG4 sources and converting them to MPEG2 will ALWAYS make for a worse quality picture than Verizon sending the video as it receives it.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to blue_trooper

Premium Member

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

They can be converted from one to the other without introducing further loss.

No they can not.

Once a source is encoded into either MPEG2 or MPEG4, lossy compression takes place. This means detail (quality) is discarded and can never be recovered. Converting between these formats (or any other lossy-compression format) involves another round of lossy compression where more data is discarded. This is a well known foundational fact.

You can start with any given source and encode that same source using both formats (using the exact same source in both cases). For the same quality the MPEG4 encoding will normally be smaller than MPEG2 encoding. Neither of those compressed formats can ever be uncompressed to match the original source since data was lost in their respective compressions. As a result, it is not possible to convert between the two formats without further degrading quality.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I remember this same thread conversation from 4 years ago.

Hope everyone's doing well in FIOS land!

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Haha, are you sitting back and laughing at us Jeep? Good to see you