corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Bell taking the Feds to court

"BCE argues that the federal government cannot retroactively change conditions of wireless licences it bought years ago."

I'm sorry - "bought"? Didn't they get them for free?

Cliffy
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Kitchener, ON

Cliffy

Premium Member

So a carrier is complaining about someone changing the contract after it has been agreed to?

I hope someone points out to the judge how often telcos change customers contracts after signing.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to corster

Premium Member

to corster
Also, I don't think you can "own" spectrum, it all belongs to Industry Canada and licensed to entities.

FiberToTheX
Premium Member
join:2013-03-14

FiberToTheX to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

"BCE argues that the federal government cannot retroactively change conditions of wireless licences it bought years ago."

I'm sorry - "bought"? Didn't they get them for free?

Yes they did.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

No, they didn't. We're talking about conditions on the AWS spectrum that the big three paid a hefty amount for. While they did indeed get tons of free spectrum in the past, that's not the spectrum they're complaining about here.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Cliffy

to Cliffy
said by Cliffy:

So a carrier is complaining about someone changing the contract after it has been agreed to?

I hope someone points out to the judge how often telcos change customers contracts after signing.

Exactly, it's Ok for these companies to do the same things to their customers but not for IC. They don't "own" the spectrum; it is licensed to them.