spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scrupul0us

join:2013-09-09
Delmar, NY

[Northeast] How far will Fios run glass from the street?

Fios only comes half-way down my street and hooks a dog leg down another road... The tap on the pole is 7 poles from my driveway

Is there any likelihood Verizon would be willing to connect me?

I wouldn't even mind paying a setup fee just to get connected, I'm so ready to be done with TWC

Thank you =)

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
Are you sure there is nothing closer? If you're looking at a large junction node, there may actually be something nearer. I think they split things off into something like 4 or so customers per smaller connection point and they are not very obvious.

Have you tried going to their website to see if FiOS is available at your address?
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
It's not a major junction, its your typical cylindrical tap with a bunch of caps and the house immediately near it is tapped into it (and two maintenance loops, same pole and adjacent pole)... Nothing else is closer...

We are quasi-rural so I'm pretty sure they didn't land the rest of the road as there are only two more houses (including mine) at the end and it wouldn't make much fiscal sense to build out another 1/4 mile for two possible customers...

I happen to be lucky and be the last TWC connection coming from the other end of the road, so I at least have cable internet BUT we had Fios before we moved out of the burbs and loved it and have nothing but disdain for TWC's billing practices and service...

I guess the only way to know is to call Verizon but was hoping someone in the know might be able to speak to their experiences or (if they are employed with Verizon) what their policies may be

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
You need to call in. The fiber may be up already on your street.It may just have connectors that you don't see that are ready for a terminal to connected.

sjfiostech

join:2008-07-29
Medford, NJ
reply to scrupul0us
Like Polo said...Call in.

If your address is qualified, the techs will get it to you...

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
Thanks for the feedback all, I'll give them a call this week and see what they are willing to do =)

banshee

join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
When you call tell them you saw VZ trucks on your street and would like to order FIOS.. I live in Colonie and called them after seeing the trucks going up and down my street, they said I couldn't have it, 2 days later they came a knocking and I could have it. There isn't a better feeling than dropping off your stuff at the TW store after getting FIOS.

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
Excellent to know! I'll definitely have to let them know when we call

Howdie from the traffic circle in Latham =)

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
So just an update... It took a bunch of time, but, VZ had engineering come out and verify our entire road... I was then able to sign up online and set an install date... I even got a phone number...

Fast forward to the install date, the tech comes out, seemingly bewildered and says it cannot be done, we are 2200 feet from the tap and that fiber cannot be run that long (heh, right)

So he asks me if we were told by a door-to-door person we were qualified and I went through the whole spiel where we had to get engineering involved etc and so he said he'd call his supervisor...

So I give the guy some room and let him make his call and I hear him tell the super that the tap on the pole only takes 4 connections and that the fourth is tagged out as broken and wanted to know "what he should tell the customer"

Little more time spent on the phone and he comes back and tells me we are too far and it can't be done and that his super kicked it back to engineering about the possibility of them running a mop terminal...

Figuring there's not much I can do at that point, I thank the guy for his time and go about my business outside and which point he starts cutting out the copper from the poles (my driveway is long, ~180 meters with 2 poles on it that I own) out to the street...

I don't really care about the copper, but, isn't VZ legally required to provide service to all customers in their service areas and now that they've cut out the copper, they can't?

IDK, I'm pretty peeved that I'm not able to get service for what seems to be VZ's laziness in not wanting to repair the pole tap and are using my distance from the pole as the reason...

All their connectivity after the tap is plug-n-play so it's not like I'm asking them to fusion splice drops together...

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
Ok first. The job was rightly referred back to the local engineer. The tech is not going to run 2200' of drop to the closest working term ,even if they do it needs to be special ordered. Are there other houses between you and that terminal?
The tech was removing old copper drops that I am sure were unused. He was not removing the cables.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
There is two houses between myself and the on pole tap... Both have VZ service...

I would be MORE than willing to pay for a special drop, which I told the guy and his comment was engineering would call me back about the possibility of a mop terminal (never happened)...

Why would engineering verify the entire road and my address if install was not possible?

The copper drops he removed were the phone lines to the house, he cut them back to the street... The only utility that is on my property now is National Grid and TWC... I no longer have POTS in my house

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Install is possible, just not by the tech. (he's not the one to trench cable. until "engineering" gets a crew out there to run the line, the tech has nothing to do.)

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
It would be a completely aerial install no trenching needed...

To your point, since engineering qualified my address wouldn't they know seeing an install for the address know they needed a special drop?

That said, in a case like this, I should be given a number to call to arrange such an install...

We never heard back from anyone and trying to call in to talk to anyone is utterly impossible...

I'd rather just be told they made a mistake and WONT do it rather than be given the run around that it's doable and we need to wait to hear from someone who we know will never call...

I've pulled a few people aside that work for Verizon and their comment is that it will cost them too much to fix the tap and run the drop to justify lighting another customer and that since the new president of VZ cares nothing about the Fios market and just the wireless market, they aren't focusing any build out funds except to areas that have current contracts that have completion deadline dates looming...

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Order phone service. Since the idiot just stole all the copper, they won't have a choice. (as the ILEC for the area, they can't say no.)

Also, "engineering" doesn't take orders. When an order is placed, it's supposed to pass through engineering to get all the ducks in a row, but that part appears to be getting dropped. The tech isn't going to string 2200' of cable -- mostly because he doesn't have it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
^^^ +1

What cramer See Profile said. Order phone service. VZ is obligated to install it. With the copper removed, they have no choice but to install fiber. Once the fiber is in place, then there should be no issue adding internet and/or TV.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
reply to scrupul0us
And when the tech goes out to install a phoneline what do you think will happen when he sees the tap is broken?
He will kick it back to engineering......
Don't be angry with the workers, it's management that is making these decisions.

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1
reply to scrupul0us
Sounds like you just need to try an order phone service like everyone else says.

Also, driveway length itself should not be an issue. My FiOS install was up a nearly 1000ft long driveway, and the guy was just like "woah, I'm going to need to run back and get the right length of cable for this run... but I can get it done today no problem". One run to his warehouse or whatever, and 6 hours later, we were up and running.

I wish you luck. It almost sounds like the Verizon guys were trying to throw you a bone by cutting out the old copper and subtly hinting to you that they wouldn't fix it with copper...

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
(actually, it's more than likely he took the copper to cash it in. Cu is a valuable metal.)

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
said by cramer:

(actually, it's more than likely he took the copper to cash it in. Cu is a valuable metal.)

NOt if he wanted to keep his job. At the most it's worth a few dollars anyway.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

I wish you luck. It almost sounds like the Verizon guys were trying to throw you a bone by cutting out the old copper and subtly hinting to you that they wouldn't fix it with copper...

Exactly my thinking... The install technician was doing OP a huge favor there. Seems he was pretty smart about it - didn't tell you why he was doing it...

said by banshee:

There isn't a better feeling than dropping off your stuff at the TW store after getting FIOS.

Amen. As soon as VZ gets their (nearly?) 2 year late 6 tuner DVR in place, I'm ordering. I cannot wait to return the TWC equipment.

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
I'm sure it was worth more than a few bucks... The previous owners had 5-6 phone lines in the house for all their kids (nice right) so there were two mutli-strand cables he cut back, 200 meters x2, maybe worth a good pint, but I digress...

FWIW, I'll go for the phone service, my only hope is they CANT or WONT repair the copper to do POTS... I know its been said they'll never run CU again, but, just my luck they'd opt for that over fixing the pole tap and running 2200 feet of drop...

What a PITA just to be able to give a company my money =)

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to scrupul0us
What that technician did was force engineering's hand.

Since there's no contract for telephone service, go ahead and order it. If, in the worst case, they re-string copper (HIGHLY unlikely) - just cancel the phone line. No harm, no foul.

It is a pain but worth it in the end (IMO ...)

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to scrupul0us
Interestingly, there's a property around the corner from me where the end of the driveway is at the end of the utility run. There are only three houses on that road to that point and only two occupied. (middle one is abandoned) The kicker is that the property in question has a driveway that's probably a thousand feet or more long...up a mountain. From the pole where the overhead fiber ends, it's all underground to the home up on the hill. By my estimate, there is probably a third of mile of fiber between that home and the first home on that street with no connections to the middle property...

It should be noted that the township required VZ to service every property in order to get the franchise, however.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC
Then you should contact your franchise authority; they are, after all, in breach of that contract.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by cramer:

Then you should contact your franchise authority; they are, after all, in breach of that contract.

I agree that the OP should do that.

scrupul0us

Delmar, NY
I think I'll opt for the Honey before the Vinegar by ordering phone service... If that gets me no where then I can go to the Public Service Commission perhaps?

tito79

join:2010-03-14
Brewster, NY
kudos:1
reply to scrupul0us
If its 4 like you say they will need to replace that or repair that terminal for they can run your fiber as for your distance doesn't have nothing to do with it, its up to engineer dept if Verizon will spend money to replace a new node or terminal.