join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Sagemcom Firmware Fix... In Sight!

Hey guys,

Some good news!

We just received confirmation from Bell that a Firmware update for Sagemcom modems is underway. Bell is anticipating to start testing the new firmware mid-October and they have tentatively booked release for end of October, beginning of November.

Some of the patches include:

- Remove Bell Firmware Branding
- Remove some of the Bell Retail Functionality
- Fix Sync No Surf Issues

We will be receiving full patch notes near deployment once testing is completed so we will be able to go more into detail once we receive them.

The modem will still be locked as far as we know and we are still in the process of confirming if True Bridge will be an option.

Cheers,

Andre
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

simsin0

Re: Sagemcom Firmware Fix... Insight!

Great news! Thanks for the Follow-up Andre!

Now lets hope they get it right.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
It's about time.
pc8888
join:2011-05-31
estonia

pc8888 to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Good news.

Thanks for the info.
darrylr
join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON

darrylr to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Thanks a lot - great news!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Andre

MVM

to TSI Andre

Re: Sagemcom Firmware Fix... In Sight!

It's good news, but without true bridged mode, the modem is largely incompatible with 50 meg service.
mrdylanblue
join:2013-02-27
Brampton, ON

mrdylanblue to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Out of curiosity, is this update only for Bell wholesale customers? or will it eventually come to Bell "fibe" customers as well?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
I think it will be available however waiting for confirmation before giving the 100% on it.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to mrdylanblue

Premium Member

to mrdylanblue
I think its wholesale only as it removes branding.

Its possible they are working on the retail one as well... I just don't know for sure.
mrdylanblue
Brampton, ON

mrdylanblue

Okay. Thanks heads up.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

The modem will still be locked as far as we know and we are still in the process of confirming if True Bridge will be an option.

"True Bridge" is not really necessary as long as whatever is causing PPPoE forwarding to slow down on 50/10 gets fixed.

True bridge would not do anyone who wants it any good if they end up breaking it the same way forwarding is somewhere along the process of making it officially available.

skydemon
join:2011-04-07

skydemon to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
At the moment, is there anyway to solve or make it some what usable on "Sync No Surf" Issues? One our office is facing this problem so bad that it happens every hour and need to wait 2-3mins to get internet back and on the modem statue it still shows connected with no errors, reboot the modem will get the internet back but it will still drop next hour or even worst after few mins?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
Tell them they do not own the modems and to unlock the fuckin things.What is the problem?I buy something I either get full control or it sits on a shelf. This is no different than locking cellphones

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

If you are in fact having this issue caused by the firmware, there is no work around that I am aware of. Others here may have suggestions.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
True indeed. Fingers crossed
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
This update has been in the works for a while now and there are already numorous bell customers with the new firmware. Just making sure all the tweaks are rigjt before final full launch.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by SLAMtech:

This update has been in the works for a while now and there are already numorous bell customers with the new firmware. Just making sure all the tweaks are rigjt before final full launch.

Do you have any idea if the pppoe passthru 35meg limit is fixed?
SLAMtech
join:2009-12-03

SLAMtech

No I do not. I knew about the sync no surf and a few others. Ill see what I can find out and let you know.
mrdylanblue
Brampton, ON

mrdylanblue

You happen to have the version numbers?
syntaxerr0r
join:2008-05-27
East York, ON

syntaxerr0r to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Will the firmware be made available to those who bought the modem from TSI?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Yes
syntaxerr0r
join:2008-05-27
East York, ON

syntaxerr0r to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Will the firmware be made available to those who bought the modem from TSI?

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
Well this is a good sign. By the time my neighborhood is finally ready for VDSL all of these kinks will have been worked out and I can rest easy that the service will be reliable. Unless Rogers updates their upload speeds I can't see staying with cable in the long term.

/me wonders what the Bell Retail Functionality is

Thanks Andre!

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

/me wonders what the Bell Retail Functionality is

FibeTV most likely, as the rest is not really specific to Bell except the branding.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
I'll believe it when I see it - 10 to 1 the problem will persist or the fix will cause some other issue.
EHTL
join:2002-10-31
Canada

EHTL to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
I am planning to switch from cable to DSL to take advantage of the 10M upload speed. Is the stock firmware of Sagemcom really bad and troublesome? Should I wait for the firmware update before I switch?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Its not terrible but depending on your setup, it may be best to wait since there isn't that long of a wait for the fix...

Perhaps post your setup and others can provide suggestions.
EHTL
join:2002-10-31
Canada

EHTL

My setup is quite simple:

1 desktop wired to the router
2 laptops over Wi-Fi,
The router is used for BT download via built-in Transmission client
and VoIP.

Because of the low upload of my current 18/0.5 cable service, the VoIP service is terrible during BT download so I would like to switch to DSL ASAP. But if the firmware upgrade is coming soon, I will take your advice and wait.

SagemSRC
@CMU.EDU

SagemSRC to TSI Andre

Anon

to TSI Andre
> "Remove Bell Firmware Branding"
Would that mean that TekSavvy will have access to the build source and be able to deliver their own firmware with their own branding?

If so, would it be possible to release a firmware version that is not locked down through every possible corner and with the ability to disable the TR69 and TR98 remote capability?

Thanks.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

No. I believe for not the firmware will in fact be controlled by Bell.