Search similar:

uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to andyb

to andyb

Re: Sagemcom Firmware Fix... In Sight!

said by andyb:

I really cant remember what the crtc said but I thought it was 6 months. Coulda been a timeline from bell but dont remember since its been longer than that

I do not remember the CRTC ruling that Bell had to get the firmware situation sorted out at any particular time but Bell did say at least once that they were expecting to have something ready within six months.

Since Bell depends on Ikanos/Alcatel for firmware development, it would not make much sense for the CRTC to impose something Bell has no control over - particularly when the same hardware is also used for their own subscribers so the motivation to seek resolution or relief from 3rd-party vendors is as much internal for Bell's own sake as TPIAs.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to TSI Andre

MVM

to TSI Andre
Except in the same amount of time that Bell has still not delivered a fix for this one issue for the Sagemcom modems (which affects their own customers too!), the IISPs have purchased and evaluated various alternatives, decided on the SmartRG SR505N, negotiated a contract with SmartRG, commissioned and received custom firmware designed to work on Stinger remotes, received the units in bulk, gotten them certified by Bell, and have begun widespread deployment...

There are two sides to any software development contract, and it doesn't take six months to fix a single bug. Dollars to donuts Bell is dragging their feet on this, either intentionally or by lack of priority.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

Dollars to donuts Bell is dragging their feet on this, either intentionally or by lack of priority.

Maybe if somebody 'spoke' with senior Bell managers out 'behind the woodshed', (away from the prying eyes of their bosses) they'd step up their priorities.