uniqs
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose

Re: [Internet] Time Warner 30/5 and 50/5 in Columbus Insight are

said by OSUGoose:

Rumor was October, but like anything TWC says, its BS.

There might have been some truth about that -- TWC had planned on moving some analog channels to require DTA (digital tuning adapters or cable boxes, DVRs etc..)

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· rs.html#

But looking at that page -- the date for Former Insight Columbus customers (mid Ohio) is now Dec!! [so me being told "end of year"] might be a better guess.

(You may ask why I mention TV when it comes to Internet) .. Removing analog channels frees up bandwidth for more DOCSIS channels for data.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

I know that. But it good you stated that for others.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Matt7

to Matt7
said by Matt7:

said by OSUGoose:

Rumor was October, but like anything TWC says, its BS.

There might have been some truth about that -- TWC had planned on moving some analog channels to require DTA (digital tuning adapters or cable boxes, DVRs etc..)

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· rs.html#

But looking at that page -- the date for Former Insight Columbus customers (mid Ohio) is now Dec!! [so me being told "end of year"] might be a better guess.

(You may ask why I mention TV when it comes to Internet) .. Removing analog channels frees up bandwidth for more DOCSIS channels for data.

Hey I had in my area of Texas a planned move to digital adapters in January of this year and it got pushed back to March so hey it happens

So far this year in the Dallas area TWC has moved to digital:
EWTN
CSPAN
WGN America
G4
Speed (now Fox Sports 1)

in addition to previous removals since 2008 when we had at one point 81 analogs now down to 58!:

ABC Family
CMT
Oxygen
Style (soon to be Esquire)
CSPAN2
CSPAN3
Government Access 1
Government Access 2 (my city is removing it soon according to the legal notices from the lineup completely as it is has been digital only since 2011)
Public Access (same issue as Government Access 2)
Educational Access 1
Educational Access 2
Educational Access 3
truTV
Texas Cable News
Daystar
Removed duplicate feed of Azteca America from analog and digital
Leased Access

Oh and I did a little researching of Columbus oh via google maps seems the issue with Columbus former insight is they upgraded some areas to 860MHz Magnavox/Philips amps/nodes but left other areas at 550MHz with CCOR gear that had drop in upgrades from 400MHz. So yeah they do need to do a lot of work. I wonder if they can break off the 550MHz areas and move them on to the 750MHz TWC system as it is closer than the 860MHz areas of former insight unless they are mixed in then I would say TWC is likely to upgrade the former insight areas fully to 860MHz and go 100% digital since you guys don't have SDV and it seems really late in the game to deploy SDV now when TWC is already deploying DTAs that are HD capable and that may be why TWC is waiting until December as they could be reclaiming a ton of analogs to add more HD/DOCSIS 3.0 channels or even more VOD Capacity.

Personally where I live we have gone from telecable -> TCI -> At&t Broadband -> Comcast -> TWC since the system was built in 1981. The system here started out as a 330MHz Magnavox system and then in the early 1990s telecable upgraded it to 550MHz two-way system I think (fiber nodes were deployed from Magnavox and the old 330MHz amps were retrofitted with 550MHz modules and more 550MHz amps were dropped in to compensate for spacing) I know it had at least 78 channels as they were able to add a lot of channels in the early 90s. I remember having Cartoon Network shortly after it first came on the air. Then At&t came in and replaced all of the Magnavox gear with 750MHz Jerrold General Instruments amps and nodes and at one point went back in and started using 860MHz amps instead of 750MHz right before Comcast took over and then Comcast left the system at 750MHz even though a lot of the amps had been upgraded to 860MHz and after Comcast maxed the system out and TWC took and wanted to add more channels before SDV was able to be deployed in motorola areas they went in and replaced all of the 750MHz gear with 1GHz gear to make the system fully 860MHz now our highest QAM is on 135 (861MHz) before the 860MHz upgrade the system topped out at 118 (759MHz) which was a test carrier of a black screen.

So now my areas is 860MHz with 58 analogs and has SDV with 24 QAMs dedicated to SDV and we have 151 HD channels this could be what Columbus could have if they removed all analogs
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by motorola870:

Oh and I did a little researching of Columbus oh via google maps seems the issue with Columbus former insight is they upgraded some areas to 860MHz Magnavox/Philips amps/nodes ...

I would say TWC is likely to upgrade the former insight areas fully to 860MHz and go 100% digital since you guys don't have SDV and it seems really late in the game to deploy SDV now when TWC is already deploying DTAs that are HD capable and that may be why TWC is waiting until December as they could be reclaiming a ton of analogs to add more HD/DOCSIS 3.0 channels or even more VOD Capacity.

Interesting feedback -- I know some areas of Insight are "analog only" I am in an area that is Digital and even has a CMTS that supports D3 (Must be one of the areas Insight has built an 860Mhz plant) I had the bonded D3 channels (6 down / 3 up prior to the Time Warner take over) -- The day TWC took over (7/1/13) my modem started bonding 7 down / 3 up. Naturally Insight nor TWC are offering D3 speeds here at the moment. The highest Docsis channel I see here is 741 Mhz.

You may be right about the reclaiming of channels -- I am pretty confident that one of the hold ups to giving us D3 speed tiers is removing some analogs which will happen when they roll out the DTA's hopefully in Dec.

Though I will say this -- TWC has been running a lot of trunk along their systems too even in other areas of Columbus that are TWC... I see a lot of black cable spooled up along the cable trunks in many areas of Columbus that were not previously Insight systems.. so TWC is up to something.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

Oh sometimes around here I see TWC replacing hardline with black hardline the system I am on used to have white hardline and feeder when the system was first built.
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by motorola870:

Oh sometimes around here I see TWC replacing hardline with black hardline the system I am on used to have white hardline and feeder when the system was first built.

Here they seem to be running it along the current hardline (and bundling it together with what is already hung)