spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

azend

join:2013-09-08

[Cable] Redundant internet connections

With TekSavvy having a large number of outages in the last few weeks, my family has considered getting a secondary redundant internet connection for when our primary goes out again.

We're currently looking at Wind Mobile because they require no infrastructure on our end to set up and because they are more likely to be up in the event of a power failure. Robellus is also a possibility as well since direct customers get their connection issues looked into directly.

I would like to hear your opinions and what you plan on doing after finding out how easily vendors can break down TekSavvy.

pc8888

join:2011-05-31
estonia
My suggestion is get internet using different technology from another TPIA

Like if you have cable at teksavvy, get DSL from Start or something.

I understand this will not help you during power outage. It is all depends how much you want to spend

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to azend
I ordered a DSL + Cable line from Teksavvy. Yeah I probably should have gotten connections from two different providers, but Teksavvy had a $20.00 DSL activation, and I think their 75GB DSL plan is the cheapest on the market right now?

tlsrulz

join:2008-04-01
reply to azend
Just make sure you get a Wind Signal .. Found out my house is in a "dead" zone.. we are going to return our S4 today after 6 days of it sitting in "Emergency Only" mode.. Their network support confirmed it for us.. Sad

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to azend
Invest in fiber from Cogent. They will likely be the cheapest, but their service is great.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to azend
During the last power-failure here, cellular data all but died, because everybody else went on it too?

Invest in a good sized UPS, modem and WiFi router combo, you can be online for quite a while, your internet devices will likely die first.

For redundancy when a service provider has issues, as was already stated, different ISP techologies, from different providers
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

amonster

join:2013-09-05
reply to tlsrulz
Emergency mode is NOT a dead zone. Emergency mode is a problem with your sim card. In a dead zone, it will roam on another provider.

amonster

join:2013-09-05
reply to azend
Get a Wind account with unlimited data, and an Android phone. If your broadband connection goes down, just plug in the USB to the phone and tether.

recneps
Premium
join:2006-06-24
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to amonster
Unless there's no rogers signal either.
My house is pretty much a Faraday cage and in some spots Wind is actually stronger than rogers (zero rogers signal, wind barely makes it through)

But to answer OP, I use my wind phone as emergency backup (had a couple days of disconnection last week, worked great. Speed's are a little slow because of my low signal, but still better than nothing.
If you're in a good signal area you can probably get 3mbps+ as I do at work.
If you're really lucky, you're near an HSPA+ tower, when you can get 10-12mbps (was surprised to see that one a couple months back )

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to amonster
Emergency mode usually means your SIM is not allowed on the network, which is more often than not, because there is no signal for your primary provider, but your phone connects to the other phone provider's towers, and gets a signal, but not authorized...

Go to Field, BC with a Rogers phone, you will get Emergency Service only, there is a Telus tower, but no Rogers, for an example. (Bell/Telus can't roam on Rogers and vise versa)

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.