spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donvito

join:2009-09-16
San Jose, CA

Need to powercycle 2Wire 3600HGV almost daily?

Greetings! This is probably my first thread in the AT&T U-verse forum after being a U-verse customer since December 2011 (Haven't had any problems since).

I have a 2 Wire 3600HGV modem and I'm afraid it's on the verge of going bad because I have to constantly powercycling this modem in order to temporarily fix the Internet connection. Most of my wireless laptops fail to connect to the Internet even though it can authenticate to the SSID or sometimes get no DHCP IP.

How long do these 2Wire modems last and should I get a replacement?

Thanks,
-donvito

The 3600 is a customer owned RG, comes with a 1 year warranty, expired Dec 2012.
Would need to order new 3600 b/g or 5031 b/g/n both $100 with new 1 year warranty.
Could also try ebay for used, no warranty.
Or order tv service and receive a leased RG ($6/month) but if fails free replacement, as not owned.

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA
kudos:3

Unclear how far gone it is. Can try configuring it to turn off wifi, and see if (wired only) use is stable and reliable (for now). 3600 are known ancient and to often have wifi go bad 1st.

If you have another wifi router to use as WAP (or in DMZ) you might not (yet) have to purchase another uverse-specific gateway.

As I understand, used are a risk; if firmware is too old, they don't update over the net and are a brick. And if used, I think you have a broader choice, things like 3800, 3801 (either newer, better than 3600, but older than a 5031)??

If you can get Power tier, you'll get a NVG589 and pay a monthly equipment fee. Without TV, I expect the fee might be $2?? But most likely pay $99 anyway for the Power tier install (of 2nd pair).

Speculating, if Power without contract ($76 per month, no promo), since you pay for installation, plus pay to rent the gateway, you should then be able to downgrade tiers (to slower, cheaper tiers) at any time (no penalty)??

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

said by brookeKrige:

Speculating, if Power without contract ($76 per month, no promo), since you pay for installation, plus pay to rent the gateway, you should then be able to downgrade tiers (to slower, cheaper tiers) at any time (no penalty)??

If your not under a contract I do not see why not.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to brookeKrige

Problems with seeking a 3800/3801 on the secondary market:
1) The sellers are, at best, selling non-returned AT&T equipment. AT&T retains ownership of the leased modem models (which includes the 2Wire/Pace 3800 and 3801 via AT&T)
2) And even if you do attain a previously leased 3800/3801, that modem you just "bought" you will now be paying AT&T a modem lease fee, and AT&T will expect you to return it if you cancel service

The 2Wire/Pace 3600 and 5031 are both modems that are customer purchased and owned, so those are fair game on the secondary market -- but there is no warranty coverage on the secondary market, and the device must have the current firmware to work.

Also the Motorola 2310 would also work as a 3600 replacement assuming:
1) you have internet only (no VoIP)
2) you do NOT have static IPs
3) the 2310 you attain has the current firmware
4) you are using either your own router/WiFi, or you only need a single wired Ethernet port for internet, as the 2310 is a single-port VDSL2 modem only

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Matt7

said by brookeKrige:

Unless there is contract, yeah I don't see why you couldn't

AT&T might re-provision you back to only using a single pair to open back up your 2nd VRAD port -- no tech needed to go from 2 to 1