how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nemesis158

join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Severe Bandwidth Exhaustion - South of Spokane

Been a while since i posted here, but I have recently become increasingly frustrated with the poor service we are getting out here.

I currently live about 5 miles southwest of spokane, and currently the only available Wireline provider is centurylink (formerly quest).

For the last two weeks i have not seen my connection reach its full established connection rate (modem connected at 1536/896, actual speeds are ~1.3m/768k due to packet overhead). in other words, Severe router exhaustion.

What I Know:
The terminal set that serves my areas is fed with nothing but T1 lines. There are 3 vented DSLAM cabinets, and only one of them has all 8 T1 cards installed and connected. there are at least 139 subscribers connected to this terminal. the other two terminals have ~70 subscribers and ~10 subscibers respectively

Assuming that each subscriber is connected at 1536/896 and getting ~1.3, then having more than 9 Subscribers online at any given time means that the bandwidth is Exhausted.

What I have seen:
My samknows router has been testing the line for over 2 years, and service has steadily declined over that time period as CenturyLink has added subscribers. for the last week my download stats show dropping as low as .5mbps between the hours of 8pm and 4am. What this means is that many of these subscribers have come to the same realization that i once did, that in order to get any large downloads done they had to run overnight. This indicates a severe need for service improvement in our area, as it indicates more than 15-20 subscribers resorting to overnight downloads due to the inadequate service in our area.

What I want to know:
When Centurylink bought Qwest over 2 years ago, the FCC approved the merger under one condition: "Centurylink was to upgrade qwests rural hardware in areas such as my own to match their own offerings in other areas"
Centurylink currently provides 50mbps to most of spokane and Cheney to the north and west of my location, and 25mbps to the small town of spangle, to the southeast of my location.
NOANET Ran a dark fiber optic line that is available to be leased for use by ISPs directly past my house.

What i want to know is, Why has Centurylink NOT Honored their agreement with the FCC and made an ounce of progress towards improving the service in my community.

I would Write centurlink at your talktous email service, but i am not the account holder, and my father doesnt use the internet enough to see how bad his service is, nor does he care enough to send such an email himself.

Some days i honestly feel like doing something to force CL to replace their Antique hardware out here, but i really dont want to do that. I have waited patiently for over a year when their Techs told me they were doing something about it, yet nothing has happened.

Do i need to submit my story to the local news station? or should i send a letter to all of centurylink's customers detailing the situation and asking for their support to petition centurylink to get something done?

Sorry for the long post, but what are your guys thougths and suggestions?
Im pulling my hair out because of the lack of things i am able to do with this poor service.

Thank you
Nemesis

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

1 edit
When you mention actual speeds are 1.3m/768k, is that what speed your getting on a speed test or what the modem is trained at?

if your modem is training at 1536/896, but you are constantly seeing 1.3m/768k on speed tests, then you are getting the "acceptable" speed for that speed tier, as technically they say your supposed to subtract up to 20% for the overhead

As far as saying there is exhaustion if 9 people are online at the same time. This would depend on what those 9 people are doing at the same time.

Also another thing I read a while back mentioned that while a T1 line & a 1.536 Mbps connection was the same download speed, that you couldn't exactly compare a T1 connection to a 1.536 Mbps DSL connection, as the technology works differently between the two

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
we get 1.3m/786k when it is going properly at full speed.
i havent seen it stay consistent at all whenever ive used the internet in the last two weeks. usually it jumps between 20-100KB/s (160kbit/s to 800kbit/s) down. the log from our samknows box has it going from ~.5mbit to 1.25mbit for the last week on the hours it was actually able to test the connection (it only does when noone is actively using the connection)

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to Nemesis158
Another oversold DSLAM, very common, after CL bought Qwest, the customer to T1 ratio went up.

You can write to the WA PUC, WA ATG, FCC, Santa claus. Nothing will be done.

For some reason companies can lie openly about the service they sell, for example they sell 1.5Mbps DSL knowing full well that speed can never be achieved, ever.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
I went ahead and ran a 16MB optimum online FTP download test and used Netlimiter to watch the bandwidth graph. i will continue to run more of these tests at various hours of the day

as you can see the connection starts out at roughly 130KB/s, then drops. the first low sustained rate was about 35KB/s. then it goes back up and spikes near full throughput a few times, before dropping again to 25KB/s and then back to 100.

toby
Troy Mcclure

join:2001-11-13
Portland, OR
reply to Nemesis158
A good speed test site, »speedtest.comcast.net/

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
reply to Nemesis158
Today's test was more consistent being in the morning, but still not getting full throughput:

Northern 91

@qwest.net
I live North of Spokane (Colville ) in a Qwest area. I subscribe to the 3 meg line, fastest I can get and the last month or two I have been getting around 2.1. In the past it would be a constant 2.6 or so but rock solid.

I also use Sam knows for the last few years as well and have noticed the drop off in speed.

We have the noanet fiber run about 1/4 mile from me but I havent heard of them trying to tap into it or upgrade us.

Nemesis158

Spokane, WA
The fiber line that NOANET laid north of spokane, afaik, is part of the "Sawtooth" network, and is owned and operated by PUD of Pend Oreille. being an out of state PUD, they are laying their own access out further north near where it crosses into idaho. Unfortunately current state law doesnt allow non-Profit residential access networks. I really wish they would change that....

Northern 91

@qwest.net
Noanet is hooked up to all of our local schools and government buildings, there are 5 ISP's that are contracted to resell their service in my area. Plix and Exliptixnet being two of them, you are correct that

I heard that some of the homes in Pend Oreille got fiber installed directly to their home.