spc
Search similar:

uniqs

weirdipbehav
@verizon.net

weirdipbehav

Anon

Very Weird FIOS IP behavior from UTM and Actiontec

So I decided to directly connect the Verion FIOS ethernet cable into my SOPHOS UTM. First I released the IP from the Verizon Actiontec. Then I connected the WAN Ethernet cable from the Actiontec to my UTM, fired off the UTM and boom got an IP.
HOWEVER, the IP that shows up in the UTM external node is 172.16.122.xxx which is the internal subnet...aka private subnet.
When I do a what is my IP I get an IP 108.51.xxx.xxx, when I do a speed test it auto detects me in Wichita, KS, HOwever I am in Northern Virgina.

Now when I release the IP from UTM and connect it back to Actiontech, it obtains and IP in the 85.xxx.xxx.xxx range (according to the Actiontec Management page) and the speedtest.net correctly ID's my location of Northern Virginia.

ALSO, when I do the Speedtest from the UTM and the Wichita, KS IP and I choose WAshington DC as my test server I get 7 ms PING which is exactly the distance from my NOVA location to DC and the delay does not correspond to the distance from wichita, KS which should be at least in the upper 40's.

SO even that my IP that I obtain via SOPHOS UTM or at least the one that I see from "What is my IP" shows me in Wichita, KS, my actual server location is NOVA.

Finally, when I do a port scan via GRC I see all bunch of open ports that are no way open in my system.

So what gives?!
weirdipbehav

weirdipbehav

Anon

Sigh, disregard what my stupid arse has written.
The Sophos UTM is being ran as a Virtual Box on an Ubuntu Box, so when I connected the FIOS ethernet cable directly to the Laptop Running the Ubuntu/VirtualBox combo, the Ubuntu host grabbed the IP and the VirtualBox grabbed the VLAN IP.
Nevermind.