MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

[DSL] Low upload speeds on VDSL

I've had VDSL through Frontier (Broadband Ultra or whatever nonsensical naming scheme they've changed it to now) advertised at 25/3 for about 7 months now, and I never got the full 3Mbit upload. In fact, I never knew I was supposed to get 3Mbit up until I recently spoke with a local Frontier manager for my county. In any event, my upload speeds started off around 1.6Mbit when first installed. Not great by any stretch of the imagination considering it's VDSL and now ADSL2, but I figured it was close enough to 2Mbit not to worry.

Fast forward several months and my upload now has fallen well below 1Mbit, usually hovering around 0.75Mbit, and earlier today, 0.33Mbit. My local Frontier manager told me he would submit a ticket and have the people in my area look at it. This was over a week ago and not a peep out of him since, nor any improved speeds.

So my question to you is: what could cause a decreasing upload, but stable download, over the course of months? If it continues at this rate, I'm not going to be able to upload anything in a reasonable time frame. What really pisses me off is that I know now I was supposed to have gotten 3Mbit upload and started off at half that. Could a wiring problem cause this? It seems like bad wiring would affect download speeds, too.

Here are my current line stats from the modem:

VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
VLAN: PTM 101
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Connection Status: Showtime
Downstream Speed: 27007 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 1158 Kbps
Retrains: 3
Retrain Timer: 5 Days, 5H:28M:57S
ATM QoS class: N/A
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 6258
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 45
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 7488
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 466631
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 1438
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 10 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 18.6 dBm
Power Upstream 10.5 dBm

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
awful lot of errors there i'd say something is up

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Yeah, I was initially shocked by the number of near end FEC errors, but the tech I spoke to said it was no big deal if I wasn't seeing retrain or sync issues. Not sure about the near end CRC errors, though...

plat2on1

Hopewell Junction, NY
said by MrBungle87:

Yeah, I was initially shocked by the number of near end FEC errors, but the tech I spoke to said it was no big deal if I wasn't seeing retrain or sync issues. Not sure about the near end CRC errors, though...

any number of CRC errors is unacceptable I think. a low number of FEC errors is ok but yours are wayyyy out of the ballpark.

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to MrBungle87
The CRC's could have come from the re-trains, that's normal, and the FEC's could also be leftovers as well...but 7k CRC's in 30mins IS bad, unless this log is right after a re-train.

Your upstream provisioned rate is WELL below 3Meg, that's why you aren't getting the correct upstream rate. Your up and down SNR seems a little low @ 10dB. Normally there is a difference between the two with the down SNR value usually being higher than the up....any idea what your loop length is?

I thought Frontier only offered 24/2 not 25/3, could be an area/equipment difference from the area I'm in.

It almost seems like there was a provisioning change that affected all the modem rates and SNR values. It could be outside trouble as well but without seeing what the max values are at the NID it's hard to tell.

Are you dry-loop or do you have POTS as well? If you have POTS- is your audio quality poor with static or humming in the background?

If you are dry- You can still plug a corded phone in at the NID and listen to the office battery. You can tell it's there by blowing into the phone and you will hear the wind back in your ear. Is it clear or do you hear something there with the mouthpiece covered?

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
Thanks for the insight. I'm going to test at the NID (which I haven't done yet) and recheck modem stats. We have POTS, too, though. I'd like to go dry loop and use VoIP but with line problems like these, I don't know if that'd be advisable yet.

And yeah, I thought Frontier's provisioned rate for VDSL was 24/2, as well, but the general manager tells me it's being sold as 25/3 in our area. With tech like vectoring being available, shouldn't VDSL be able to support uploads higher than 2Mbit, given a relatively short loop length? Also, to answer your question on loop length, I'm not sure. I remember the field tech telling me it was around 2200 feet, I think.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to COjosh
Okay, here are my line stats from outside at the NID. It looks like I'm somehow syncing slightly lower at the NID than in the house. In any event, I talked to the field tech manager again today and he said everything looks good at the CO but he's not sure what the point of failure is, and he'll try to get someone out this week to look at the NID and the box on the telephone pole.

(Note: these stats were taken after only being sync'd for like 2 minutes, so the error count is much lower)

VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
VLAN: PTM 101
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Connection Status: Showtime
Downstream Speed: 25553 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 1147 Kbps
Retrains: 0
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 0H:2M:29S
ATM QoS class: N/A
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 2
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 2
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 203
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 10 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 18.5 dBm
Power Upstream 10.5 dBm

COjosh

It's not abnormal to have slightly better sync #'s inside as opposed to the NID. If you have a decent home run to the modem, the better twist than the twist in the pair at the NID will improve sync rates some.

It looks like your modem doesn't report "Max Attainable" rates- The absolute maximum speed your line will sync at. The only way to see those #'s would be on a tech's meter or remote testing by Frontier.

Either way it would appear that your Upstream sync rate is STILL significantly lower than the 3Meg you should be getting.

What speed package are you paying for on your bill? Does it just say "VDSL" or "Broadband Max", or does it actually have the speed listed?

I'm still fairly confident it is a provisioning problem regardless of what the manager is telling you. In his mind "everything is ok at the CO" because you aren't losing sync and your downstream rate is where it is supposed to be.

I would push harder to have somebody look at your port provisioning.

At 2200ft your max upstream should be around 10Meg give or take a few Meg...and, by the way, Frontier doesn't use Vectoring with any of their DSL profiles to my knowledge...

-Josh

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
Thanks again for the good info. I swear I was able to see max attainable before, but maybe Frontier pushed a firmware update and removed that from Broadband Stats.

The funny thing about both the website and the bill is it now says "Broadband Extreme" and mentions download speeds of "up to 24Mbps" but there's no mention of upload. However, according to every Frontier rep I've spoken to, including field techs, it's provisioned as 25/3, and Broadband Ultra is sold as 12/2. But a megabit discrepancy between downloads doesn't mean nearly as much to me as their refusal to be forthright about VDSL uploads on their website and in billing.

In any event, I'm still waiting on a tech to come out and I'll make sure to mention the provisioning issue if it hasn't been addressed by the MCO.

But would provisioning really solve the problem if I'm still seeing this many FEC and CRC errors?

Action2

join:2010-06-29
Newman, IL
That 24Mbps plan should be the bonded ADSL2+ version of plan. It is limited to 2Mb upload due to the nature of ADSL2+ lines. The VDSL version of extreme should be 25Mbps with an upload of higher than 2Mb/s if you are within the distance.

COjosh

Action2- I agree, I originally thought that as wel,l but the modem stats clearly report VDSL 8b mode. It also doesn't have any stats listed for a Line 2 profile either.

Bungle- Provisioning wouldn't change your error problems considering that you "appear" to be UNDER provisioned. If you were OVER provisioned, say too fast for your distance, then you could see higher FEC and CRC rates.

As was stated before- FEC's/CRC's aren't really an issue unless the blocks are so large that they cause the modem to crash and re-train. That doesn't seem to be the issue here.

I would ask for the tech to tell you what your max rates, up and down as well as SNR values, are at the NID and have him contact the MCO to have the upstream corrected to reflect what is going on in real life.

It IS still possible that there is cable trouble causing your errors but that should have NO effect on the modem provisioning.

xDSL modems will run "best effort" algorithms to negotiate the maximum "safe" speed to run at. During the training process the modem "discusses" the current line condition w/ the DSLAM and decides upon the best possible stable speed for the loop condition- Your modem may "train-down" to a lower speed just to stay in sync, but it will NEVER train back up unless there is a forced reboot of the CPE. Being that you showed NO CHANGE in upstream rate after a forced reboot leads me to believe that the provisioning is just plain wrong.

The only case in where the modem would report a lower than advertised upstream profile would be if the DSL port is just set wrong....give or take some strange anomalies that do happen from time to time...

Action2

Newman, IL
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MrBungle87
Taking another look, it really does seem that it is a profile issue. While you were only getting 1158 Kbps at first, it seems they dropped you down to 1147 Kbps after looking into the issue, maybe thinking you were over provisioned. It could be variance to the wiring, but hitting a sync rate that Frontier uses would be very hard to do.

1147 kbps is the standard ADSL2+ bonded upload rates Frontier is using in many areas.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to COjosh
If and when the field tech actually calls or drops by, I'll be sure to get some specific values for max attainable rates and SNR. You mention that the modem may train down to attain sync, and that almost seems like what's been happening over the past few months. Like I said, I started off with an upload sync rate of about 1600Kbps, which has trended downward, almost logarithmically over time.

I should also mention after talking to several managers in other parts of NC, I've been given the impression 2Mbit is the max upload Frontier offers on ANY VDSL plan, which just sounds stupid and unrealistic to me. VDSL/2 can support higher uploads than ADSL2+, and given my distance I would think I'd easily be able to sync at 5Mbit.

Dealing with Frontier is like talking to a hydra where each head thinks something different.

COjosh

Like I said, there is STILL the potential for some form of cable trouble knocking down your upstream rate. If you started off higher, and gradually- key word "GRADUALLY", your upstream rate has dropped off, that would indicate degradation in the OSP or elsewhere.

What modem are you on? An Actiontec or a Zyxel?

But if you abruptly went down then I would still say there is some provisioning snafu going on. Every once in a while DSLAM's will catch an update that screws up custom provisioning...yours may have been caught in that...

Your 1148 upstream rate is well below the necessary provisioning for a 2Meg upload. You would see an upstream rate around 2147 or so if it was set correctly for 2Meg.

I don't disagree that you "should" have higher than 2Meg upload, it's just a question if that is even available to you regardless of what the first manager said.

Frontier RARELY "tweaks" DSLAM line profiles outside of their normal provisioning and 24/2 IS the standard for VDSL in Frontierland. I have seen them make "exceptions" but they are rare at best.

24/1 is indeed weird...I'd like to see how this turns out...

plat2on1

Hopewell Junction, NY
frontier ultra or ultimate, whatever its called was advertised as 25/3 in this area when the website worked(it no longer works , doesn't list any plans and says online ordering not available in this service area) the other two plans were 6/1 and 12/2.

Action2

Newman, IL
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to COjosh
As far as I know 24/2 is the common provisioning for the ADSL2+ bonded version of Extreme while 25/3 is the VDSL version.

To me it still looks like he is being provisioned the wrong rate for the upload. 1147 is the rate that the 24/2 bonded plans use per line. In effect being provisioned the ADSL2+ speeds for VDSL.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to COjosh
I'm on the Actiontec V1000W. I think the Zyxels are mostly used for ADSL2 bonded service, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm still on the hook here, though, waiting for a call, but I'll certainly keep you and everyone here apprised of what's going on. And the field manager I'm dealing with here backs up Action2's post that the 2Mbit upload is what's provisioned on bonded ADSL, not VDSL. But if you go through any customer support channels, they refuse to acknowledge they offer higher than 2Mbit upload for anyone on any plan. Something isn't right about that, considering they used to advertise 3Mbit uploads on their Ultra plan.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MrBungle87
Just a quick update: my uploads have fallen yet again to around 0.3Mbit, which just started today. Called the tech manager I've been dealing with so far but he was out of the office. Modem stats still show I'm syncing at 1154Kbps so I'm really puzzled now.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MrBungle87
So, the techs (yes, two) stopped by today and ran some tests at the NID and the pole and found no issues on their side of the demarc. One tech comes in the house with me and I show him my modem stats, point out the 1.2 million near end FEC errors I've accumulated over 10 days, and the CRC errors. He says he's still not sure what's going on, but that I have indeed been provisioned at 3Mbit upload, much to my surprise (this was after I brought up possible provisioning issues). So he calls the CO and has a guy there provision me down to 2Mbit to see if I sync above 1128/1147Kbps...no luck. Still syncing at 1Mbit, even after a modem swap and changing settings at the CO.

I can, however, say that my ping times are much better for some reason now (20ms instead of 70-80) and I'm seeing almost zero FEC or CRC errors in modem stats. So maybe the modem was problematic, but they still haven't solved my upload speed issues. My loop length is 2442 feet, according to the guys at the CO, so he says I should have no issues with syncing at 3Mbit. They're coming back tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

COjosh

Did the guy even plug in his meter inside and check what he actually sunk-up at upstream-wise, bypassing the modem entirely? Did you SEE them ACTUALLY using a device for testing while they were at the NID? They would have to have used a JDSU or a Colt 350+ to verify signal/profile other than relying on what the inside people are telling them.

I doubt he called a local CO guy because VERY few, if any, have legit access to DSLAM provisioning. I would venture to guess he called Assignments or the MCO...There have been some issues "setting" a port correctly for VDSL and a lot of call support agents don't know/haven't been trained properly on how to set up VDSL provisioning.

When he called to have the provisioning changed- Did the modem drop sync? Usually when new provisioning hits, the modem will re-train and momentarily drop sync as it locks back on to the new profile. Did they do a "port bounce" to be sure they were on the right port?

By any chance is the DSLAM you're connected to an Adtran 1148/1248V? Do you even know?

The reason why I ask is those have to be provisioned differently than a standard 1148/1248 or a 7300 ASAM. Many times the provisioning person goes through all the standard steps to change the profile and the new stats don't even get to the DSLAM...

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
The tech didn't meter anything inside the house, but he did at the NID and claimed I was still syncing on the bonded upload profile and not the VDSL upload profile. They also tried switching profiles from 8B to 12B to 17A (if I recall correctly), but I'm not sure what the point of that was with regard to upload provisioning.

And yeah, he claimed it was the CO, but the MCO seems much more likely. He mentioned my being on an Adtran 1248, but didn't go into any more detail when I asked him about it. Either way, I'm not aware of them doing a port bounce or any of that. And, surprise, they weren't back out today to finish what they started, despite my calling their manager again and telling him the situation as it stands.

The first guy who showed up was pretty clueless about VDSL, and the second guy was the same one who installed it, yet the problem still isn't fixed. So I'm calling again tomorrow. Eventually they'll send someone out who's worked more than two VDSL installs and knows the back end because they're going to get sick of me bitching at them.

COjosh

Ok, that makes more sense then that he SAW you only syncing/provisioned @ 1Meg up on his meter at the NID. I thought you/he had said that you were provisioned correctly for the 3Meg VDSL upload...being that they ACTUALLY saw you capped at a 3Meg upload in the field....

Regarding the band profiles- All that is, is the frequency band in which the xDSL rides on. That won't do much unless those various bands are indeed in use in your area. Frontier's VDSL standard is on the 8B band profile.

The 1248 he mentioned- I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's an old 1248 with VDSL or Multimode cards in it, which should provision the same as a standard 1248. If it's a remote site with a 1248V, those things can be a serious PITA to get provisioned correctly. Are you served from a "brick-and-mortar" CO or a remote? If it's a remote it would be a 1248V.

Maybe a port change is in order? If they keep moving you around with provisioning and nothing is changing you COULD have a bad port, although I doubt it.

There IS a 12/1 VDSL profile available at least in the area I'm familiar with, and the MCO can provision anything they darn well please as long as the far-end modem supports it, and the Actiontec's WILL run that speed.

Maybe suggest that they switch you to that profile, just for testing, to see if your modem, and the tech's meter ACTUALLY "see" that profile. If they claim to have made the change and nothing happens, you will know FOR SURE the issue you are dealing with is without a doubt a DSLAM provisioning/communication problem.

Many times, if it's a 1248V that you're running on, the only way to access these stupid things is through Telnet and the CLI. Frontier's Legacy provisioning systems often times don't play well with 1248V's...

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
Thanks for the great info. Our CO is brick and mortar, however, not a remote, so I don't understand why provisioning would be so difficult. The tech who was inside at the modem while the other tech tested at the NID claimed they'd provisioned me for 2Mbit for testing purposes but it clearly never synced at above 1128/1147Kbps, so it seems more likely that they just don't understand VDSL provisioning. I considered it could be a bad port, but it doesn't seem likely. Again, though, the weird part is my ping times are drastically better now--I'm seeing consistent 15ms pings to Washington DC and VA servers whereas I got 70ms at best before. Dunno if switching ports could affect that, though.

I should have an update for you on Monday, though.

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to COjosh
A small update: finally got a call back from the MCO guy and he says the techs closed my ticket, noting that I was getting 2Mbit uploads and everything was solved. So I guess they've gone from passive ignorance about this to actively lying. I told the guy I'm still syncing at 1Mbit and whatever they noted is wrong, so he's sending out someone else who has a lot of prior experience with VDSL.

Another thing: the MCO contact tells me I'm on a Calix switch, not an Adtran (though he mentioned Adtran TA5000s in use there) and thought I might have to be switched to bonded (which is bullshit). I told him the techs told me I was on an Adtran 1248 which was totally wrong.

plat2on1

Hopewell Junction, NY
classic frontier incompetence

COjosh

reply to MrBungle87
Sent you a PM MrBungle87

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to MrBungle87
Click for full size
The 68.x.x.x IPs are from VPN, but the uploads are still consistent with what I've been seeing.
Well, it's that time again. My upload speeds have taken another hit and are consistently below .5Mbit (and no uploads are taking place during tests). Checked modem stats and I'm still syncing at 1140Kbit, so I'm not sure what's happening here. As far as I know internal wiring is fine.

[Mod note - removed personal/private info from last attachment. /sashwa]

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..

1 edit
reply to MrBungle87
Sounds like your record is mapped incorrectly. Basically it's looking at the wrong port and someone else's modem, which they see syncing at 2Mbps on the upload. Your record needs to be updated so it's looking at the right equipment (it'll have a code), along with the proper bay, shelf, slot, and port.

There's definitely something wrong though if you're dropping sync and getting a lot of errors.. did the tech do any metallic testing, or did he just try syncing with his meter? Probably something outside (F1/F2/F3, aerial drop or BSW) or your ISW (in-side wire).

Do you have a POTS splitter installed and the modem on a spare pair?

MrBungle87

Durham, NC
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Time Warner Cable
said by xsbell:

Sounds like your record is mapped incorrectly. Basically it's looking at the wrong port and someone else's modem, which they see syncing at 2Mbps on the upload. Your record needs to be updated so it's looking at the right equipment (it'll have a code), along with the proper bay, shelf, slot, and port.

There's definitely something wrong though if you're dropping sync and getting a lot of errors.. did the tech do any metallic testing, or did he just try syncing with his meter? Probably something outside (F1/F2/F3, aerial drop or BSW) or your ISW (in-side) wire.

Do you have a POTS splitter installed and the modem on a spare pair?

Hmm...well, what I've got now is kind of a weird configuration. There's a Cat5E home-run from the NID to a surface mount jack in my bedroom, but the modem is in the office (next room over), so I've got a Cat3 cable connected to the jack in my room which leads to the modem. I know that alone sounds suspect, but I've tested the modem at the NID and gotten the same sync rates. They finally sent out two business class techs with Colt-250 meters to test my max attainable rates at the NID, and they told me that I was at about 95% of my possible upload and that I'd never see anything higher because of distance and/or gauge changes (26 to 24Ga, I think) in the wire on the telephone poles. But the fact that my uploads have followed a logarithmic curve downward over time tells me something else is going on. When we first got VDSL, my upload sync was around 1700Kbit, and it's steadily declined over time.

As for losing connectivity, I think that may have been weather related, or Frontier's domain name servers weren't resolving properly...not sure. The funny thing is all the status lights on the modem stayed solid when it went down (and it dropped like 15 times in 24 hours).

No POTS splitters or filters at the jacks, though. The NID is wired with the VDSL pair and the phone pair, and both lead into the house with Cat5E wiring (we only use one phone jack and that's wired with Cat5). If you need a picture of the NID or anything I'd be glad to take one.

Also, can you explain what metallic testing is?

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by MrBungle87:

Hmm...well, what I've got now is kind of a weird configuration. There's a Cat5E home-run from the NID to a surface mount jack in my bedroom, but the modem is in the office (next room over), so I've got a Cat3 cable connected to the jack in my room which leads to the modem. I know that alone sounds suspect, but I've tested the modem at the NID and gotten the same sync rates. They finally sent out two business class techs with Colt-250 meters to test my max attainable rates at the NID, and they told me that I was at about 95% of my possible upload and that I'd never see anything higher because of distance and/or gauge changes (26 to 24Ga, I think) in the wire on the telephone poles. But the fact that my uploads have followed a logarithmic curve downward over time tells me something else is going on. When we first got VDSL, my upload sync was around 1700Kbit, and it's steadily declined over time.

The ISW sounds okay then if you only have the one CAT5 from the NID, bridging it to the next room over won't really add any attenuation, so you should be good there.

said by MrBungle87:

As for losing connectivity, I think that may have been weather related, or Frontier's domain name servers weren't resolving properly...not sure. The funny thing is all the status lights on the modem stayed solid when it went down (and it dropped like 15 times in 24 hours).

Yeah just use Google's (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

said by MrBungle87:

No POTS splitters or filters at the jacks, though. The NID is wired with the VDSL pair and the phone pair, and both lead into the house with Cat5E wiring (we only use one phone jack and that's wired with Cat5). If you need a picture of the NID or anything I'd be glad to take one.

So you have two separate loops connected in at the NID, one for phone and one for internet (with a dry loop)? Oh okay, then you don't really need a POTS splitter then, as long as they didn't splice it on the same pair.. but I don't think anyone would be that dumb. :|

If you can take a pic that'd be great.

said by MrBungle87:

Also, can you explain what metallic testing is?

It's when you test all aspects of the loop (usually called a final test on most meters), from resistance (by killing the battery), to power influence, balance, noise, foreign AC/DC voltage, etc.., it all affects your attainable speed. That's the first thing that should be done. Say your F2 tests at 2M Ohm (T-R), that's seriously going to affect attainable speeds. If your loop was crossed somewhere, if it's grounded, that's also going to affect speeds.

First and foremost though your record needs to be updated. If one tech said you're on an Adtran, but another on a Calix (which is better for you anyways ), they'll never be able to fix your upload speed because they're looking at the wrong port.