spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BxB
join:2006-01-16
k1r5d6

BxB

[AB] Shaw Torrent cap

I am in Edmonton, does Shaw put cap on torrent traffic?

Thanks.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

If your node is busy, Shaw may restrict your outgoing torrent traffic
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to BxB

to BxB
said by BxB:

I am in Edmonton, does Shaw put cap on torrent traffic?

I can answer this. The sort answer is "maybe, but you'll never notice". Shaw states in their Terms of Use: "If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user." Why you won't notice this: bit torrent doesn't typically (in my experience, for what it's worth) need 80 kbps upstream to hit a high downstream rate. When you factor in that this limit of 80 kbps will only occur during period where the upstream traffic on your serving group is congesting, then you won't typically even be filtered to this level. In my time on this forum I've never seen anyone having slow bit torrent issues actually find the issue to be any sort of traffic management. It is usually poor seeding/tracker, or network/software issue.

If you think you are seeing traffic shaping, you can check with these sorts of tools:
»www.cc.gatech.edu/~parth ··· obe.html

Full text from Shaw Terms of Service:
"Traffic Management Policies
Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way."

»www.shaw.ca/terms-of-use ··· section4
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to BxB

to BxB
Im just south of edmonton and my speeds are

Down: 26.1MB/s
Up: 1.2MB/s

Only congested nodes get shaped
apanihi1
join:2012-03-16
Los Angeles, CA

apanihi1 to BxB

to BxB
Yes they do. I'm paying for 20Mbit and with torrents I always get 10Mbit max, it doesn't matter if it's a public or private tracker.

Regular downloads are crap too. I mean if my torrents are taking up 10Mbit I can't even watch a youtube video or load any sites fast, the whole line gets throttled.

Of course the speed test websites are not throttled so when you run a speed test it shows that it's working fine at 20Mbit. In reality you'll get half that on a good day.

It's always 50% of whatever service you pay for I've found out.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by apanihi1:

Yes they do. I'm paying for 20Mbit and with torrents I always get 10Mbit max, it doesn't matter if it's a public or private tracker.

Regular downloads are crap too. I mean if my torrents are taking up 10Mbit I can't even watch a youtube video or load any sites fast, the whole line gets throttled.

Of course the speed test websites are not throttled so when you run a speed test it shows that it's working fine at 20Mbit. In reality you'll get half that on a good day.

SO what your saying is your link speed on shaws network is what your paying. But when you try to use outside services your speeds do not reflect the package.

Are you sure your software is configure properly? Can your router handle what your trying to do. Are you wired or wireless. Large or small swarms? High ratio of seeders to leechers?
BxB
join:2006-01-16
k1r5d6

BxB to apanihi1

to apanihi1
Just too bad a policy. I am not a heavy user of torrent and have never exceeded even the monthly usage cap of 30 GB/month (with Telus). I just need some decent speed and return the same amount to others at the very leeast. Telus throttles my torrents and they did deny it , at least on here, they give me a honest answer.
BxB

BxB to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
Do they have any map showing the busy node in Edmonton? I am not a heavy user of torrent myself, but I do require some decent speed for both download and upload which affect download speed). Right now with Telus, I put self cap on my DLs/ ULs and limit to 1 or 2 downloads at any one time.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to BxB

Premium Member

to BxB
It isn't bad as a policy.. Has been the best I have seen from any provider that does shaping.

Only the uploads are shaped, and only when you are on a congested node.

No, there are no maps to the public
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to apanihi1

to apanihi1
said by apanihi1:

Yes they do. ...

Sorry, still just not true.

My own experience: I can max my connection via usenet or torrents anytime (if a good tracker and swarm are present). If you can't then you likely have a network or software issue.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium Member
join:2011-02-03

MerinX to BxB

Premium Member

to BxB
Telus is way better hitting max speeds IMO. But what do i know i only download 1-2 terabytes per month....
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

thats not very hard......
said by MerinX:

But what do i know i only download 1-2 terabytes per month....

and im pretty darn sure i can download faster then you ,

if you upload 1-2 tb your argument might actually be valid

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 22241975

if you uploaded 1-2 tb your argument might actually be valid