join:2000-08-06

10 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.168

I feel better now that Adobe has released an update this month

»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan

Premium Member

Thanks.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

2 recommendations

angussf to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Beat me to it, should have gotten up when the alarm first went off

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

The early bird gets the worm, um, patch

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
And applicable Adobe SB:
»www.adobe.com/support/se ··· -21.html

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
thanks

NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

NICK ADSL UK to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Fixed Issues

September 10th, 2013

•3587773 - [External bug][iOS]Creating too many FileStream objects will cause app to crash on iOS

•3601024 - [Safari OS X 10.9] - File Downloads now work
•3611679 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [WebVTT] - Caption colors now render correctly
•3507613 - [Win7 IE10] - A Microsoft update to Internet Explorer corrects the following issue: Mouse movement interferes with Flash Player display updates
•3575123 - [Mac][FullScreen, MouseLock] - Corrects an issue where when the mouse movement values for a given frame were identical to the values of the preceding frame, the values returned would be zero
•3609793 - [Chrome] - Improved Audio Latency path is enabled by default
•3507613 - [Internet Explorer 10] [Win7] - An update to IE10 resulted in an improvement where instantiating an ActiveX Flash Player instance in IE 10 using a Windowless Mode (opaque or transparent) now works
•3597568 - [MacOS 10.9] - Mavericks Developer Preview 3 corrects an issue where Flash Player configuration files were not readable by Flash Player
•3604526 - [IME CCJK] - The IME candidate window position no longer moves to the left when the composition string extends beyond a single line in a textfield
•3583135 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [WebVTT] - Changing the options on a caption no longer erroneously resets that caption's position
•3602519 - [Chrome] [PPAPI] - Video on NYTimes.com now plays correctly
•3609793 - [Chrome] [PPAPI] - Audio latency improvements are enabled by default
•3613819 - [iOS7] [AIR]- Using Sound.play app asks permission for accessing the Microphone even when microphone API is not used in the app
•3587452 - [Android] [AIR] - 144x144 image size icon should be supported on android
•3570724 - [Flash Access] - Ability to specify a shorter timeout for license response
•3580139 - [Chrome] [PPAPI] [Mac] - screen.yahoo.com - video playback stopped after exiting full-screen mode
•3580607 - [Chrome] [PPAPI] - Resolves video jitter after exiting fullscreen mode on an embedded YouTube video
•3572762 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - A stream with WebVTT captions now plays all of the captions available in a stream
•3572767 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - Captions are no longer erroneously broken across multiple lines
•3577355 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - Captions are now displayed when seeking backwards in a video stream
•3577367 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - Caption customizations are now displayed on the correct frame
•3583137 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - Captions are now displayed with the correct font weight
•3586532 - [HTTP Live Streaming] [Web VTT] - Ampersand, Less Than and Greater Than cue escape characters are now correctly displayed
•3583922 - [Internet Explorer] - ExternalInterface now works correctly in instances where SWF content was embedded using only the tag.
•3599625 - [Internet Explorer] - Fullscreen Mode now works correctly on [url]»apps.facebook.com/warcom ··· er[/url]
•3582320 - [Win8] [ARM] - Flash video now appears as expected on [url]»www.orange.fr[/url]
•3600931 - [Win8] - Playback Controls are now rendered correctly on [url]»www.cnn.com/video/[/url]
•3590934 - [Win8] [Firefox] - When the Windows display settings are zoomed to 150%, the right-click context menu in Flash Player now works correctly
•3606308 - [Android][SecureSocket] [AIR] - Application getting crash when trying to connect with host contains SSL certificate.
•3077653 - [iOS] [AIR] - Creating too many FileStream objects will cause app to crash on iOS.
•717340 - [Mozilla] [Mac] [Dual Monitor] - Fixes an issue where the Cursor disappeared when moving from Full-Screen video in the second display to Firefox/Safari in the primary display.
•3560721 - [iOS] [AIR] - Application crashes having Microphone running for 10 to 20 mins
•3572885 - [Android] [AIR] - 'orienattionChange' event is not fired when Stage rotated through setOrientation() method
•3554585 - [Android] [AIR] - Stage is blank in GPU mode because of rotationY property
•Multiple stability and security fixes

Adobe Flash Player WHQL Download Page
»get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Check What Version of Adobe Flash Player You Currently Have
»www.adobe.com/software/f ··· h/about/

Adobe Flash Player Standalone Full Installer Download Page
»www.adobe.com/special/pr ··· on3.html
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Users of Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.69 and earlier versions on Android 4.x devices should update to Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.81.

Users of Adobe Flash Player 11.1.111.64 and earlier versions for Android 3.x and 2.x should update to Flash Player 11.1.111.73.
New android versions available here (scroll down):
»helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· ons.html

They're often slow on updating the apk links, but you can just edit it yourself by pasting in the appropriate version #. This time, I was able to update through Play on Gingerbread by selecting Flash from the Play list of all installed apps. Not sure if that'll work for previous installs on Jellybean.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Fickey:

Users of Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.69 and earlier versions on Android 4.x devices should update to Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.81.

Linky

»download.macromedia.com/ ··· _ics.apk

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks for the update. I forgot today was the day. Cluster updating (Java/Flash) did not occur last month. It was nice and refreshing.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yeah but we got double this month

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks Stuart.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Thanks StuartMW See Profile.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I wanna know why Adobe claims this version of Flash won't work on Fx 4 (which I have on my older XP computer which I am on at the moment). It says AT LEAST Fx 17.0 is needed. Strange. It works fine on Fx 4 but I prefer to just let Fx 4 use HTML 5 which it will not do if Flash is enabled.

I installed the latest Flash for Opera 12.16 which is also on this XP computer. Stupid Flash auto enabled the plugin for Fx4. That happens also on Fx 17 on my Win 8 computer. The plugin should not get turned on just because you updated Flash.

I don't see why installing Flash for Opera makes Fx and SeaMonkey (also on my XP computer) pick it up and turn on and start running the stupid Flash plugins that Mozilla browsers use now that won't exit when you stop using Flash. I don't see why Adobe doesn't make so you install Flash for whatever browser you want it for and not for other browsers also. Flash also should not enable itself when installed/updated and it is currently disabled on browsers. It enabled itself on Fx, SM and Opera where it is disabled on all three.
90115534 (banned)
Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

90115534 (banned) to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Thank you SUMo told me as well.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I was under the impression were we not to point directly at installers
Expand your moderator at work
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey to siljaline

to siljaline

Re: Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.168

said by siljaline:

I was under the impression were we not to point directly at installers

I was also under that impression, but can't seem to find that specific prohibition now. I guess technically an apk is just a fancy zip archive & won't be auto-installed even on Android.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

3 recommendations

siljaline

Premium Member

From the FAQ »Posting Rules - Security
quote:

Direct links to any executable file or links to sites that promote hacking or provide downloads of Trojans, viruses, etc... are not allowed.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

LOL

Well the Adobe Flash Player could probably qualify as a "Trojans, viruses, etc"
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

2 recommendations

Mele20 to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
Click for full size
IE 8 on XP Pro
Click for full size
Firefox 4.0.1 on XP Pro
The link posted is NOT a direct link to an executable file. It doesn't violate the rules here. It simply takes you to a page where you can CHOOSE to download the latest Flash Player for whatever platform you have or NOT choose to do so. That rule was/is a safety measure intended for the ignorant of computers users who have INCORRECTLY AND UNSAFELY set up their browsers to download and install without first asking the user what they want to do (which should ALWAYS be save file to disk and then after running AV on it (maybe more than the AV on your computer...maybe sending it to VT, etc) installing it. The rule originated back when AV real time vs on demand scanners were not necessarily the same and it was far safer to download to disk so that the file could be scanned with the on demand scanner as well as the real time one and could be scanned by other scanners also before executing.

The rule is intended also for non Mozilla browsers as they have always required download to disk although there is recently an option to download and install directly which should never have been instituted but Mozilla got greedy and wanted all the ignorant of computers users over valuing security and safety that used to be the emphasis...IE though (which is probably what the ignorant of computers person would be using) default, I believe before IE6 (and this rule is older than it I think), had no safeguards even when you had to click on the .exe on the page...it would just download and install unless you changed the default behavior. Even in later versions of IE you are given a choice of "run" or download to disk. That was not safe behavior either. The safe behavior is what Mozilla browsers had from their inception until sometime AFTER Fx 4 when they sold out too.

But still, on all browsers, on this link, a download box doesn't just open when you click on the link and THAT is what the rule is for ....not a rule against linking to a site that has links on it to download an executable (assuming the site's links are not to warez, etc).

I included screenshots of IE8 on XP behavior and Fx4 which still has the safest behavior but later versions of Fx allow "run" or download to disk instead of the safer download to disk only (so you can check it with more AV than your resident one which may not have definitions to detect malware in the file but another AV does have and will alert).

There is an entirely separate argument against this particular link with some saying that Adobe doesn't want home users using this link and a variety of reasons have been posited for why Adobe frowns on use of this webpage for home user downloads so it could be argued that this link should not be posted because Adobe doesn't want home users using it...but I have not seen a direct statement from Adobe saying that websites that allow this link will be yelled at by Adobe. Until Adobe states that home users are forbidden to get updates from this link (not speculation about the issue but an actual statement from Adobe), I see no harm in publishing this link here and I see great benefit to users by posting it.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

The link posted is NOT a direct link to an executable file. It doesn't violate the rules here. It simply takes you to a page where you can CHOOSE to download the latest Flash Player...

Did you actually click the link StuartMW See Profile posted? That is what siljaline abd Fickey are complaining about. It's not to a webpage, it's to a installer file for Android called "install_flash_player_ics.apk"

Android application package file (APK) is the file format used to distribute and install application software and middleware onto Google's Android operating system.

The post and link before it, which is where your screenshots come from is fine. It's the page with the list of downloads.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Fx4 Proxo bypassed
This is the link StuartMW See Profile posted in his original post when he began the thread:

»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html

The folks objecting later on did NOT specify that they were objecting to a different link for a CELL PHONE! Why would I think they were talking about a direct link to a cell phone Flash update (Android) since they didn't say?

The link to the Android update simply opens gobbleydegook on Fx4 with Proxo enabled. It's not a direct download link. The link locks Seamonkey 2.20 and Opera 12.15 (with or without Proxo enabled) at 100% CPU and the only way out is to kill the browser PROCESS (not application) in Task Manager. On Fx 4 with Proxo bypassed the download was perfectly safe, at least on Fx4, as it offered to download to disk or let me browse for a "helper application" to download it to.

The link is NOT a direct link on any browser on XP Pro. I don't know about Windows 8. A direct link will NOT open a download box with an available dialog which allows the user to not download. A direct link that is banned here, for safety reasons (as well as warez), SILENTLY AND AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOADS AND INSTALLS. The link for Android phone update doesn't try to silently download and install...but I am not accessing the link via a Smart Phone. So, they were objecting to what happened to cell phone users who accessed that link via their Smart phone and got a silent download and install that they could not say no to? That's the only way the link would meet the no-no criteria here ( that or be warez).

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Fickey

Premium Member

to Fickey
said by Fickey:

I guess technically an apk is just a fancy zip archive & won't be auto-installed even on Android.

Exactly. APK files are install packages for Android devices (phones/tablets/etc). They're just a ZIP file (change the extension and try it) containing various files including ARM processor executables (.o files).

On a PC/Mac/etc an APK file is completely benign (unless it isn't actually an APK but a fake one). Most Android devices are configured to NOT install valid APK packages unless you override the default security settings.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
did i miss the shock (v12.0.4.144) and reader(v11.0.04) 9/11/13... somewhere?
because they updated as well

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Phoenix22:

did i miss the shock (v12.0.4.144) and reader(v11.0.04) 9/11/13... somewhere?

Yes, you did

»Adobe Reader updates available on FTP site

»Security Advisory for Adobe Reader and Acrobat APSB13-22

»Security update available for Adobe Shockwave Player
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Has anyone experienced the "multi-byte text may appear garbled on some websites" issue that occurs with this version of Flash Player on Windows 8 with IE10? I'm wondering if this is widespread or a minor thing.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Did you notice that ".174" came out for IE only but did not show up for a Windows 8 user? This is in another thread. Things are getting even more confusing, it seems.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, I've been busy and haven't read the forum much since Tuesday. (I don't even have the security patches installed yet except the IE cumulative update for IE 10 on Windows 8). So, I just read that thread now.

I suspect the reason there is no update for IE10 on Windows 8 has to do with the known issue of multibyte text appearing garbled on some websites with .168. But I agree it is confusing!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

Did you notice that ".174" came out for IE only but did not show up for a Windows 8 user? This is in another thread. Things are getting even more confusing, it seems.

Maybe MS is slow. Remember the whole fiasco over the repeating Office 2007 updates? :P