share rss forum feed

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

[Game] BF4 Beta

Battlefield 4 System Specifications were recently tweeted, via Twitter.

said by BF4 Beta :

HELP US MAKE THE GAME BETTER

We are happy to announce the dates for the Battlefield 4™ Open Beta and the Battlefield 4™ Exclusive Beta. We value your feedback, so this is your chance to try out an early version of the game and help us make Battlefield 4™ better!

Battlefield 4™ Beta FAQ

Q: When does the Open Beta start for Battlefield 4™?
A: The Open Beta launches early October 2013 for everyone. The Battlefield 4™ Open Beta will feature Conquest mode on the Siege of Shanghai map.

Q: When does the Exclusive Battlefield 4™ Beta start?
A: The exclusive Beta starts early October 2013.

Q: Who can access the exclusive Battlefield 4™ Beta?
A: There are several ways to get into the exclusive Battlefield 4™ Beta: By pre-ordering the Battlefield 4™ Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin.com, by being a Battlefield 3: Premium member, and by being a registered owner of Medal of Honor Warfighter Limited Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition.

Q: What is the purpose of the Battlefield 4™ Beta?
A: The Beta gives us a chance to properly test our servers, the back end, and configure the multiplayer components of the game. By taking part, you will help us in ensuring a smooth launch for Battlefield 4™. You’ll also have the option to feedback directly to us with any gameplay ideas, bugs you find, and other thoughts on the Beta experience.

Q: I am a Battlefield 3™ Premium member. What platform will I be able to access the exclusive Battlefield 4™ Beta on?
A: You will get access on the same platform that your Battlefield 3 Premium membership is tied to (PC, Xbox 360, or PlayStation 3.) This exclusive Beta will be available world-wide on all platforms, with the exception of Japan and rest of Asia on PS3.

Q: I have multiple potential entry points into the Battlefield 4™ Beta from different platforms -- Can I choose which platform to access the Battlefield 4™ Beta on, or give one of my invitations to a friend?
A: In these cases you will be able to access the Battlefield 4™ Beta on several platforms. Access is tied to your Origin ID and is non-transferable.

Q: I am eligible to access the exclusive Battlefield 4™ Beta in multiple ways -- Will I get several invites to access the exclusive Beta? If yes, can I share them?
A: If these entry points are all on the same platform (e.g. MOHW DD + BF4 DD), it would count as 1 invite. Access is tied to your Origin ID and is non-transferable.

Q: If I have an entry point on one platform, can I choose to play the Beta on another platform (For example, Medal of Honor Warfighter Limited Edition PS3 player who wants to play the beta on PC?)
A: You will get access on the same platform that your entry point is tied to.

--
Games - NorF;Cal -

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

2 recommendations

[Game] Re: BF4 Beta

The most interesting part of of the System Specs is the recommended OS at Windows 8 64Bit. Where previously Steam's Gabe Newell and Blizzard's Rob Pardo both stating that Windows 8 was a catastrophe.

said by BF4 Blog :

Windows 7 is thought to be the preferred operating system by most PC gamers, however naysayers of Windows 8 may want to think twice about upgrading their OS because Windows 8 has a hidden feature up its sleeve, DirectX 11.1. Windows 7 is said to use only certain portions of DirectX 11.1. DICE’s Technical Director, Johan Andersson, has said that the Frostbite engine will fully support the latest version of DirectX and that systems using this software will see better performance, more specifically, better CPU optimization:

“We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1. This will be in BF4.” Johan Andersson stated.

There's nothing like building a great gaming rig with all of the latest and greatest hardware, only to load it up with a shitty interfaced OS, like Windows 8.
--
Games - NorF;Cal -

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
3GB of graphics memory, what an odd number to recommend.. I really want to see some benchmarks of a 660 3GB vs say a 770 with only 2GB..

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by Ryan:

3GB of graphics memory, what an odd number to recommend.. I really want to see some benchmarks of a 660 3GB vs say a 770 with only 2GB..

That would be an apples to oranges comparison. The memory bus on the 660 is only 192bit compared to 256bit on the 770, let alone the massive memory overclock too.

Either way....a 2gb 770 will absolutely smoke a 3gb 660 in performance.

Regarding Windows 8, everything I've read are people saying that it runs faster and games runs extremely well too. Those are some pretty beefy "recommended" system requirements though.

Ryan
Premium
Braintree, MA
Yea, hopefully the higher video memory recommendations are for resolutions higher then 1080.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Long Island
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

\Those are some pretty beefy "recommended" system requirements though.

Looks like my old 5870 is gonna have to be replaced
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ryan
said by Ryan:

Yea, hopefully the higher video memory recommendations are for resolutions higher then 1080.

I doubt it. Next gen consoles aren't even running any games higher than 1080p. Last I remember reading, was that BF4 was only going to run at an upscaled 720p on consoles.

It could possibly be because of the size of the multi player maps? I don't know.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to DownLow
I have a GTX 560 that is going to get replaced for sure. Don't know what I am going to get yet though.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Regarding Windows 8, everything I've read are people saying that it runs faster and games runs extremely well too. Those are some pretty beefy "recommended" system requirements though.

No doubt that the current OS will run better. There's nothing better than faster and smoother. But come on! Windows 8, the Butterface OS?
--
Games - NorF;Cal -

Ryan
Premium
Braintree, MA
said by shinjuru:

said by Ghastlyone:

No doubt that the current OS will run better. There's nothing better than faster and smoother. But come on! Windows 8, the Butterface OS?

Haha Ya know to be honest I don't mind metro anymore, I basically stripped it down to just start menu functions and it works well.. What I can't get over is just how ugly EVERYTHING is in general. It is so tacky and probably the worst eye sore since xp launced with the green and blue start menu. The neon colors are just awful and the color matching theme makes most peoples desktops look like a vomit of color. MMM neon green... What makes it worse is if you make your theme a simple black it messes up the title bar text and the max/min colors. The pathetic thing is they didnt even fix this in 8.1 (I guess they expect people are loving vomit colors?) Sad, vista looked beautiful and fresh and windows 7 was even better.. Now this mess. BLEHHH.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to shinjuru
Interesting, Spectator Mode.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzDIlwfCQVc

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to shinjuru
classic shell + »www.askvg.com/download-classic-s···ndows-8/ = windows 8 is really good. The only people that should be running Windows 7 is corporate. Everyone else should be on 8.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to shinjuru
According to »www.ea.com/news/playing-the-best···neration, Beta should be available on all platforms October 1st!

The highly-anticipated Battlefield 4 action starts with the Battlefield 4 Open Beta on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC on October 1, then the game lights up on October 29.

--
Games - NorF;Cal -

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to shinjuru
What surprises me is the huge gap between minimum and recommended requirements. I didn't expect it to scale down that low.
--
KI6RIT

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to shinjuru
If it follows the BF3 pattern, the beta will be a server test version that is a few generations back from what will be RTM. It won't be current and won't be close to the final version. It will be a smaller download than the release version. On Release Day there will also be a giganormous download (do it at night) with a humungous Day 1 patch that will plug the interwebs.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
I'm excited to jump in and to try the Battlefield 4 beta that's scheduled to be released to the masses(PC, X360, PS3) on Oct. 1st. That's right around the corner!!

What I'm not excited about? Having to use Origin to play it. :/

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Looking forward to playing, as well. I really hope it's not slow as Hell getting the game on my computer like it was getting BF3.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
reply to shinjuru
Pre-Load begins today for everyone with Beta access.

»twitter.com/OriginInsider/status···67070208

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
I got mine yesterday. Installed, it's about 6 GB.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to shinjuru
Preorder gets you access?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
Screw it, I'm going to pre order tonight. I've been itching to play this.

Plus I'm really curious on how it's going to look and run.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to shinjuru
Preloading mine when I get home. I hopefully can play tomorrow before hockey.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

Preorder gets you access?

I guess only the deluxe edition does.

You get some BF4 DLC content, BETA access, vehicle unlocks for BF3 and a couple other things that I can't remember at the moment.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
Origin must be getting hammered right now.

This small 5gb Beta preload is taking a hell of a long time. I'm nearly done though, finally.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
West Coast
Did my pre-load early this morning!

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
Geforce 331.40 drivers are released.

The new GeForce 331.40 beta driver is now available to download. An essential update for all new titles including the Battlefield 4 Beta, the 331.40 beta ensures maximum performance and system stability.

»www.geforce.com/drivers/results/67378

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
I logged in for about an hour and half this morning. Got my ass handed to me about half the time on that Shanghai map. That map was cool as hell though. I played on a couple 64 player matches, that were just about full. There was some lag and stuttering.

The game does look beautiful, but if you're expecting some jaw dropping jump in graphics quality over BF3, you're going to be kind of disappointed. You can tell it's slightly improved over BF3 though, just slightly.

I couldn't map any of my G700 mouse buttons in game at all. None of them would re-map. There's no profile in the Logitech software as of yet either. Hopefully they'll release one later on.

I'll play some more later tonight.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ
said by Ghastlyone:

I logged in for about an hour and half this morning. Got my ass handed to me about half the time on that Shanghai map. That map was cool as hell though. I played on a couple 64 player matches, that were just about full. There was some lag and stuttering.

The game does look beautiful, but if you're expecting some jaw dropping jump in graphics quality over BF3, you're going to be kind of disappointed. You can tell it's slightly improved over BF3 though, just slightly.

I couldn't map any of my G700 mouse buttons in game at all. None of them would re-map. There's no profile in the Logitech software as of yet either. Hopefully they'll release one later on.

Agreed... It is okay... but honestly not jaw dropping.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Long Island
said by Mcrobrewer:

said by Ghastlyone:

Agreed... It is okay... but honestly not jaw dropping.

Only thing I saw in the 2 hours I played that was noteworthy was the animated elements of the environment (TV monitors such as in the elevators and on the digital billboards) and some better water effects.
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult!

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Mcrobrewer
Yeah, I think we're seriously starting to see diminishing returns on improved graphics quality in new games.

Maybe we're just so jaded at this point with graphics, where just slight improvements in textures, lighting, particles, etc. just don't mean much to people anymore?

I think the days of massive jumps in graphics are behind us.