spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

killdeer

join:2009-07-16
Hamilton, ON

[DSL] 7Mbps cheeper than 6Mbps? TS didnt change old plans?

I only come to this forums very casually and normally when I have a problem. So in the last few months I've been again annoyed by the slow speeds of my TekSavvy DSL and I figured at some point I needed to look into things.

When I signed up for TekSavvy 4 years ago I got a 5Mbps plan which was then labelled as something else. Something like "High Speed Basic". With this I added the Unlimited bandwidth package. I talked to support at that time about how much my line could support and they seemed to suggest that 5Mbps was that max I was ever going to get.

That all worked fine for a few years. Then there was all that CRTC trouble and Bell hoopla and a lot of talk about how Unlimited was going away and plans would become more expensive. Then unlimited was back but only for off-peak hours. Then apparently all the plans got bumped up 1Mbps down? I'm not sure about all this because it was a pretty confusing time.

So the start of this year TekSavvy relaunched all their plans and rather than the 3 speeds and option of unlimited they now have 7 different speeds with the unlimited off hours. So I check out the new site. For some reason the 7Mbps plan is 2 dollar cheeper than the 6Mbps plan? AND I'm paying $32.99 a month which equates to the 10MBps plan which is service I've never got.

So I guess I've been getting overcharged and under-serviced for however long the new plans have been in effect? 8 months or so? That sounds like something I'd expect from Bell.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
No, you are not overcharged. There are 2 different rate cards as per CRTC .. You are welcome to change to the 7M ...but you'll have to pay a new activation fee of $50 to be on the new profile. it is considered as a brand new service. Read around for more info.

Kel

@ccra-adrc.gc.ca
reply to killdeer
Whenever Teksavvy launches new internet plans they traditionally grandfather current users in their existing plans as a courtesy in case the current plan offers something that is more desirable than what is offered in the new plans.

An example of this would be the new ATPIA cable plans. Existing users will have slower download, much slower upload for the equivalent pricepoint, but the unlimited add-on may be cheaper on the old plan vs the new plan, thanks to the new tarrifs.

The onus is on the customer to contact teksavvy and request a switch to the newer speeds.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to killdeer
said by killdeer:

So the start of this year TekSavvy relaunched all their plans and rather than the 3 speeds and option of unlimited they now have 7 different speeds with the unlimited off hours. So I check out the new site. For some reason the 7Mbps plan is 2 dollar cheeper than the 6Mbps plan? AND I'm paying $32.99 a month which equates to the 10MBps plan which is service I've never got.

On top of different speed options, most speeds also have multiple cap options. For example: $32.99 is also the price for 5/800k with 300GB/month cap in Ontario.

If you want to upgrade from "legacy" ADSL1 to ADSL2, you need to make a service change request to upgrade your speed since there is a $50-95 fee attached. No automatic upgrades there.

matazar

join:2011-09-20
reply to killdeer
Thanks to this post I ended up looking at the new plans. I was on 28/1 with unlimited, but decided to go with the new Cable 35 Unlimited for a bit more money since it's 35/3 and only a bit more money. I'd rather have the extra upload and pay a bit more.

bbiab

join:2004-05-26
reply to killdeer
-

killdeer

Hamilton, ON
reply to killdeer
Thanks for the info. I stupidly thought the plans would be upgraded automatically because of the email that TekSavvy sent out around the same time about every plan being bumped up 1Mbps and the unlimited feature removal/re-addition.
Expand your moderator at work

killdeer

Hamilton, ON
reply to bbiab

Re: [DSL] 7Mbps cheeper than 6Mbps? TS didnt change old plans?

I'd check that but I'm locked out of my TekSavvy support account because I forgot that my username was just my fullname and not fullname@teksavvy.com like the DSL login is.