how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA

[HSI] Charter HSI Pricing (9/10/2013)

I just off the phone with Charter retention. I was calling because my internet (30/4) was about to increase from $29.99/month to $49.99/month. I've had the service for a year and it's worked well over that time.

I asked to cancel and was transferred to the retention department. After speaking for a little while, the best rate the woman was able to give me was $39.99/month for 12 months (no contract). I told her I'd like the $29.99/month rate to continue and she wished she could do it, but that was for "new" customers only.

After weighing my options (AT&T U-verse internet only), I decided to accept the $39.99/month rate for 12 months.

Just wanted to share my experience, so anyone else out there might benefit from it. I'm in Los Angeles if that matters.

Cheers!

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
you're lucky to get a discount as Charter has claimed to no longer to offer promo rates except for new customers. And of course there isn't a contract. Charter no longer offers contracts. Hasn't for over a year. Charter at regular price is much better deal that U-verse. In my area they want $51 a month for a measly 12 Mbps and charge me $100 for their modem/router thing. Which I have no choice but to use theirs.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to bruintennis
I'm on a $39.99 promo for a year as well after my bill went up off of a 2 year contract (was paying $34.99 for 16/2 so my speeds almost doubled for only $5 more per month.)

Once the year is up I'll most likely cancel, not have service for a month, then sign up under my wife's name for the $29.99 promo.

My philosophy is if they can make money on the $29.99 promo why give them any more.

Tom can drive to work like everyone else... I'm not paying for his helicopter rides.

Premium
West Tenness
said by BlakePaulson:

I'm on a $39.99 promo for a year as well after my bill went up off of a 2 year contract (was paying $34.99 for 16/2 so my speeds almost doubled for only $5 more per month.)

Once the year is up I'll most likely cancel, not have service for a month, then sign up under my wife's name for the $29.99 promo.

My philosophy is if they can make money on the $29.99 promo why give them any more.

Tom can drive to work like everyone else... I'm not paying for his helicopter rides.

Who says they are making money? Often times companies will sell things at a loss to bring in new customers. For example even when the PS3 was selling at $600 when it first came out Sony still lost over $200 for each one sold.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to BlakePaulson
said by BlakePaulson:

Offering a service at a lower price to retain a customer has NOTHING to do with the company making a profit.

Many companies sell products and services at a loss to lure customers. Wal-Mart and music CD's come to mind.
--
Google is your Friend

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to bruintennis
I figured there would be charter cheerleaders...

Charter isn't doing a loss leader here. If they were they'd have a 2 year contract to hold people so that after the year of the promo they wouldn't be able to just up and leave.

My charter business connection is 30/4 and is $65 a month with no contract. It's unlimited, no caps, no blocks on server capabilities. It's a great value compared to other companies, and honestly I'm very glad that I have the ability to be connected with charter as it's rock solid for me, it's priced reasonably, and there isn't a contract.

However, that's my opinion of business internet. Not having tiers for people who do not use the internet hardly at all (IE old people) and making them pay $54.99 for internet is silly. I guess everyone now days has no concept of how to save money when possible. I use prepaid cell service and I expect it to not be as rock solid as contract, but you know what, 99.99999999% of the time it's just as good, it's priced so much better, and I'm able to use it and am free to come and go as I please.

When it comes to internet, there's two choices in my town. charter or centurylink. At my location I can't use centurylink as it's too far from the dslam. So I've got charter. How do I keep costs low? I game the system. How many times has charter filed bankruptcy? How many creditors got screwed over/pennies on the dollar? How overcompensated are the head people at Charter? Do they need multi-million dollar salaries/compensation when the average customer is probably struggling to get by?

I'm sorry but I think charter can manage. Think of all the old people paying $54.99 who probably don't even use 1GB a month and tell me again why charter is having such a hard time making ends meet?

Premium
West Tenness
Oh so if I say 2+2=4 I'm obviously a "cheerleader" for 4 or biased toward 4. It couldn't be I was just stating facts? Why do you hate capitalism? You are obviously pro-government dictating how much profit is "too much". Well some countries tried the whole government dictating profits thing and it didn't work.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to BlakePaulson
said by BlakePaulson:

However, that's my opinion of business internet. Not having tiers for people who do not use the internet hardly at all (IE old people) and making them pay $54.99 for internet is silly.

Oh I'm sorry is Charter a FORCING people to purchase their service. Better report that to the authorities. I'm pretty sure that's quite illegal.

Also I'm not aware of the law that requires companies to provide tiers for low usage people. For people that use very little data most people have DSL available or at least satellite or mobile internet.

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA
If I could have gotten the $29.99/month rate, I would have been very happy. The 6Mbps U-verse is $34.95/month plus the $6.00 modem charge (or one-time fee of $100.00), so my monthly total would be $40.95 plus a $99.00 installation charge.

Thus, for one year, it would be $590.40 (U-verse) which is considerably more expensive than $479.88 (Charter). But, as someone who has limited income right now, the $359.88 ($29.99/month) would have been much nicer to pay for the next year.

I may have to disconnect for a month and do the new customer thing to save some money.

Premium
West Tenness
said by bruintennis:

If I could have gotten the $29.99/month rate, I would have been very happy. The 6Mbps U-verse is $34.95/month plus the $6.00 modem charge (or one-time fee of $100.00), so my monthly total would be $40.95 plus a $99.00 installation charge.

Thus, for one year, it would be $590.40 (U-verse) which is considerably more expensive than $479.88 (Charter).

But Charter is the bad guy?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to bruintennis
I completely understand the providing a lower price tier for those that don't need a faster speed and/or want/need to pay less.

However, that argument does NOT apply to the many posts here where people are simply complaining that they don't want to pay normal price and/or they are being ripped off because they can't have a PROMOTIONAL rate forever.

The definition of "Promotional" and "New Customer" should be easily apparent.

If you don't like Charter or their business practices, then use a different service. The best way to make your opinion known is by speaking with your wallet.

And unless I'm mistaken, you have to be a non Charter user for 90 days before you can restore service and be a "new" customer again.
--
Google is your Friend

Premium
West Tenness
said by Dogg:

And unless I'm mistaken, you have to be a non Charter user for 90 days before you can restore service and be a "new" customer again.

Then they need to change their website because it states 30 days for promo pricing.

©2013 Charter Communications, Inc. Offers are valid for a limited time only, to qualifying residential customers who have not subscribed to applicable services within the previous 30 days and have no outstanding obligation to Charter. Standard rates apply after promotion.

Of course the last sentence tends to get ignored by those complaining about not being able to get promo pricing forever.

rseiler

join:2001-11-01
reply to bruintennis
said by bruintennis:

I just off the phone with Charter retention. I was calling because my internet (30/4) was about to increase from $29.99/month to $49.99/month. I've had the service for a year and it's worked well over that time.

Did they actually quote you the $50 when you signed up? I ask, because now the 2nd year is $45.

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to 88615298
I'm against people who make millions of dollars in bonuses while driving their companies into the ground and putting any profits in offshore accounts.

I basically look at it as I don't really care about charter or what the do with thee money I give them. If they are happy to give me service for $29.99 and allow me to continue to so then I'll continue to take them up on that offer. Everyone else just wants to overpay. I don't get compensated astronomically for the work I do, so why should charters CEO?

Premium
West Tenness
said by BlakePaulson:

I'm against people who make millions of dollars in bonuses while driving their companies into the ground

Since when is Charter doing that? Stock is up 87% in the last 10 months. Stock is up 280% since it came back on the NASDAQ exchange is Sept 2010

Also if you're so against what you claim then why are you doing business with said company?

BlakePaulson

Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
Their stock is up because they just came out of bankruptcy (thus releasing them from a huge burden and responsibility to pay back what they owed) and then there's the fact that they are actually beginning to give a crap about their customers and are actually investing money into their infrastructure so that customers do not complain as much.

Their internet has always been good but their TV service is utterly horrible (equipment is ancient, or if it's newer, it still only has a small hard drive and no whole home solution.)

Their phone... well I know business phone has gone down nationwide a few times so far... not sure what their regular phone service is like.

But it doesn't matter what company it is (charter or not.) The people at the top are getting paid far too much. The rich are getting extremely richer, the poor are still poor, and the middle class.... where did it go?

So I do my own personal part to try to cut back. We don't have TV service in our home, my wife and I use prepaid cell service, and basically we try to get things for as low cost as possible because we aren't rich and if we act like we have a pot to piss in and spend money that we don't need to be spending, we never will be rich (won't matter anyway because probably one of us will end up getting sick at some point and we'll lose it all anyway...)

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
As far as caring about the customers, as soon as Tom from cablevision took over, that stopped. They could care less if you call to complain now. They had a whole home solution for DVRs, called the motorola DCS3400 and its sister boxes. You could record two shows at once on each DVR, and then watch them all on any DVR. They canceled that. Now, its 1 DVR per TV, and they will not stream across to eachother, and its more expensive for a single DVR($20+5, vs $15). The company prices are going up, and the new CEO is driving the company back into the ground. I cancelled my TV service, any my internet bill went up $10 bucks because they can. Charter is going back downhill just after they almost got to the top. they were on the right track, with both customer relations and care, and services. Now, near all infrastructure upgrades in my area that were in progress before the new CEO were all halted, and instead, they decided to run new lines out and overtax the existing system even more rather than upgrade the capacity of it so it can handle those people properly, they will just add them on. This company will be going back into bankruptcy within 10 years if good ol Tom stays on board doing exactly what he did at cablevision.