spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnBullUK

@bethere.co.uk
reply to antdude

Re: Office 2007 repeat today's 9/10/2013 updates?

Same problem. Tried un-installing the updates, re-installing the updates , WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, CCCleaner, lots of restarts etc etc to no avail. Now trying ignore and hope it will go away!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

MS has been tasked to fix the Office 2007 KB issues...

Still being offered the Office 2007 updates here. Tried manually downloading/installing the updates and they said they've already been installed.

Running Office 2010, 2007, 2003 and 97 (in VM's) here.

MS has a habit of publishing "repeating" updates these days. I think their QA people have been (or need to be) shot
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1
reply to antdude
Same problem here... 3 "non-sticking" MS Office updates.

winchester73

join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Get the Office KB's from the MS download centre

"The update is already installed on this system"

mrsplants

@comcast.net
Same here just ran updates this morn shows they were successfully installed but 3 are listing as available 1 2003 and 2 MSoffice 2007

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 recommendations

reply to winchester73
Keep an eye out on this thread at MS Answers there is no real resolution as of yet.
»answers.microsoft.com/thread/ef2···3f7fee72

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

MS has a habit of publishing "repeating" updates these days. I think their QA people have been (or need to be) shot

It really makes you wonder whether or not it is safe to use their "updates" at all.

This is a snafu at a pretty "basic" level---or should I say at a pretty Windows level.

So, they end support for XP next year. Maybe that's good. Won't have to waste time on chase-your-own-tail updates.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to NICK ADSL UK

Re: Microsoft security bulletin for September 10 2013

It is happening here too.

I have noted this install has CEIP errors too, and I've not seen them before.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by norwegian:

I have noted this install has CEIP errors too, and I've not seen them before.

Can you be more specific about that?

I take it that you mean Customer Experience Improvement Program, but what sorts of errors?

Thanks!

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
Something of this nature, I've not noted these errors before this install of the O/S, but they were before today's updates:

Win 7, x64, 2007 Office Professional x32

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CEIP" Guid="{A402FE09-DA6E-45F2-82AF-3CB37170EE0C}" EventSourceName="Customer Experience Improvement Program" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1008</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-11T12:18:44.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>2833</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> 
  <Channel>Application</Channel> 
  <Computer>My Computer</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="param1">80004005</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

OSA.EXE service running automatic and on permanently.
Something else picked up in this O/S install.
Different browser installed too, otherwise nothing unusual and any different to many other installs.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to PX Eliezer

said by PX Eliezer:

said by StuartMW:

It really makes you wonder whether or not it is safe to use their "updates" at all. ...

Sure it is. Just don't be the first (or the second hundredth... or the three thousandth) to use it. Be the 10 millionth or higher - and check the threads first for any problems that have surfaced. There's a "cool" satisfaction for some folks in grabbing updates the moment they hit the servers; there's a "calm" satisfaction for others in waiting until the dust settles, and the eager first-adopters have plowed the road for the rest of us.
--
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by Blackbird:

said by PX Eliezer:

It really makes you wonder whether or not it is safe to use their "updates" at all. ...

Sure it is. Just don't be the first (or the second hundredth... or the three thousandth) to use it. Be the 10 millionth or higher - and check the threads first for any problems that have surfaced.

And I usually try to wait several hours anyway....

The problem is, wait [too] long, and the bad guys will have written exploits to attack the security holes which the patches were supposed to fix.

Risky either way....

sly53

join:2011-06-06
united state
Has anybody had a problem with windows 8 KB 2876415 ? I use avast and on the beta forum one of their experts and another person did, so I was afraid to try it. Anybody here know? Here is link to avast page, about half way down, thanks
»forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=134419.45

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Zen Internet
reply to NICK ADSL UK

September 2013 Security Release ISO Image

This DVD5 ISO image file contains the security updates for Windows released on Windows Update on September 10, 2013.
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···products

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to StuartMW

I've seen this sort of thing happen before, but it usually gets fixed in a day or so. I may just have to turn off updates on this XP system. I think it will not affect the Win 7 systems I ran update on the other day because they do not have MS Office installed. I live in hope that the MS viewers I have installed are not affected by these particular security updates, but I guess I will find out today.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA
Well, I found that the Win 7 systems are getting the same repeat install for MS Office 2007, so the viewers are likely the culprit. I'd get rid of the viewers, but some MS documents don't print exactly using Apache OpenOffice 4.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to NICK ADSL UK

Click for full size
I received a whopping 24 updates.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA
That's a lot of updates. It seems that the problem with the repeating updates affects Office 2007 updates and the MS Viewers that work for that version are treated as Office 2007 products. So even if you don't have Office installed (using Apache OpenOffice, for instance), you may have installed an MS viewer for some reason related to document formatting for printing and that will cause the update to be offered.
--

Office2013

@shawcable.net
reply to NICK ADSL UK
I had a problem with KB2810009 - Office 2013 update... manual install works but windows update fails.

Win8 Pro - Office 2013x64

No fix from MS yet... More info here: »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···09-issue

PX Eliezer
Premium
Graustark
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to NICK ADSL UK
I'm just mystified as to process.

Microsoft has many thousands of employees.

I assume that they use Windows on their own computers, and I assume that they apply updates on a timely basis.

So when a major snafu occurs, Microsoft's OWN employees should be noticing it, and informing the programming chiefs right away.

EVEN the cafeteria workers should participate!

NO LUNCH FOR YOU, they should tell the programmers, UNTIL YOU UN-FUCK THIS!

butchie

join:2000-12-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to NICK ADSL UK
Same issue here..........Butchie

Triple Helix
Troll Hunter
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Office2013
said by Anon80:

I had a problem with KB2810009 - Office 2013 update... manual install works but windows update fails.

Win8 Pro - Office 2013x64

No fix from MS yet... More info here: »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···09-issue

This KB2817630 for Outlook 2013 is even worse: »social.technet.microsoft.com/For···is-empty

TH
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2012/14
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NICK ADSL UK
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760583/en-us
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760411/en-us
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760588/en-us
show:
"Known issues with this security update

* You may be repeatedly offered this update even though it is already
installed. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more
information in this article when the information becomes available."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

TopShelf

join:2010-06-25
reply to NICK ADSL UK
Yeah, 3 repeating Office 2007 updates happening here, too.

Eh, I was way overdue for some update madness. I'll ignore them for now and when I go to bed I'll just turn off the computer.
--
The only thing North Korea could wipe out in four minutes is a South Korean all-you-can-eat buffet.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

said by antdude:

I wonder if we even have the patches applied and it is just Windows/MS Updates glitching.

Undetermined at this time as the tin-foils hats are working on it.
I run a stone-age Office 2003 and did not see these being re-offered.

Good point.
I have one for Excel 2003 and two for Office 2007 Suites showing as available after being installed multiple times and showing back up.

Interestingly enough, I do not have 2007 installed and have 2003. I did try 2007 at one time but hated it, uninstalled it, and reverted back to 2003.
--
GuruGuy

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
Rialto, CA
There is one semi-bright note about this. These updates do not require a restart, so that means that even though they keep re-installing, it doesn't have to interrupt your work, or cause you to lose that much time.
--

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to antdude
i suspected a glithch after they hit me 3times over the head.........so temp solution ............hide those the office updates until itz resolved. i realize the redundancy here.......just 2be clear...on the 3.........
i'm referring2>>>>>>

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760411)

Installation date: %u200E11 %u200ESeptember, %u200E2013 17:00

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office 2007 suites that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760411

Help and Support:
»support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2760583)

Installation date: %u200E11 %u200ESeptember, %u200E2013 17:00

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Excel 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760583

Help and Support:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760588)

Installation date: %u200E11 %u200ESeptember, %u200E2013 17:01

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office 2007 suites that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760588

Help and Support:
--
101ST ABN Div. (AirAssault) "Rendezvous With Destiny!" "Night Stalkers/Phoenix Flight" For Buddy & Terry, who lived it! Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses! H.A.L.O!, 5th Grp., MACV SOG, 160TH AVN SOG, Death From Above, VFW, AmLegion

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to rcdailey
no........it does not...........but it does screw up my batting order in the tray

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to StuartMW
hey, thatz a felony........i'm not coming outta retirement 4you..........i'll let name game get ya......lol

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to Steely
there not non=stick............look at your history they are all there successfully completed........in my case 3times