how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

test0002x

@teksavvy.com
reply to justin

Re: Images in Firefox not displaying?

Works in Chrome. FF is grrred up. Thanks for your time justin.

WWa

join:2011-09-02

1 recommendation

reply to seginus
network.http.sendRefererHeader has to be set to 2 (default).

»kb.mozillazine.org/Network.http.···erHeader

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to seginus
I have this problem on Opera 12.15. I have used Opera since version 3 shortly after I got my first computer. I've told Opera to block referrer information as long as that has been available in Opera Options. I've never had a problem anywhere on the internet until now here. Opera was my default browser for several years and this setting did not cause any problems. But I understand not wanting images stolen.

I guess I will not use Opera here anymore. I did not change the setting on Fx so it is ok here.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
kudos:2
reply to WWa
said by WWa:

network.http.sendRefererHeader has to be set to 2 (default).

This is what I found to work.
--
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seginus
Changing it to "2" allows firefox to now see images with the sites change.

Here is what the options are and what it exposes having the browser set to different values

»forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic···t=318090

Here is a detail of why its bad

»security.stackexchange.com/quest···ve-websi

I'm probably just going to leave it so the images don't show, I don't like having to send refer information when the content is within this site, it leaves one open to cross scripting which is a very bad thing plus about 6 other things.

Treegravy
Premium
join:2011-04-21
canada
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
I've gone back to using https everywhere and will re-set referrer to 0 most likely. I've temporarily disabled adblock but the adverts are broken still anyway -- and since I have an absolute policy of NEVER clicking on an advert the functional value to DslReports is nil from me. Since, however, I paid for a premium membership I feel absolved from being forced to look at them in any case.

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Since you're logged in, you'd never see ads here anyway (unless you're on a test page that throws them up just for testing). When I last used ABP, I disabled it on DSLR--nothing to block.

Treegravy
Premium
join:2011-04-21
canada
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
lol, thanks GlennAllen. Actually after shutting it off last for this site I didn't bother re-starting it and also left the referrer at 1 through laziness. But was indeed wondering where the heck these adverts were. lol, doh. Thanks too to, WWa for mentioning the default value.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
reply to GlennAllen
abp is also a CPU hog because every element is compared to a million different selector patterns in case it is an advertising div of some kind.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
reply to seginus
Well all is magically working with images again, I assume Justin turned of his anti-leech code?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

ankh
Premium
join:2001-09-08
Albany, CA
reply to justin
> if I could kill adblock and ghostery I would

Is there more about this somewhere you can point to? The "Security" advice page recommends adblock.

I realize you get paid to show ads. I know the advertisers aren't trying to reach me because any time something gets pushed into my attention by an unwanted ad, I vow never to buy that thing, so advertising pushed at me is counterproductive for the advertisers.

Nevertheless they pay you to do it, okay.

How much would I pay you per year to make up for what you lose by not showing me ads? I might be happy to do that.

I doubt I spent much more than an hour a year, averaged out over the past decade, looking at DSLR -- I use it when I need it and have points banked on account.

What more can I give you to make you not so unhappy about my blocking ads?
Seriously. Explain how it works for your finances and what I can do to help.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by ankh:

> if I could kill adblock and ghostery I would

Is there more about this somewhere you can point to? The "Security" advice page recommends adblock.

I realize you get paid to show ads. I know the advertisers aren't trying to reach me because any time something gets pushed into my attention by an unwanted ad, I vow never to buy that thing, so advertising pushed at me is counterproductive for the advertisers.

Nevertheless they pay you to do it, okay.

How much would I pay you per year to make up for what you lose by not showing me ads? I might be happy to do that.

I doubt I spent much more than an hour a year, averaged out over the past decade, looking at DSLR -- I use it when I need it and have points banked on account.

What more can I give you to make you not so unhappy about my blocking ads?
Seriously. Explain how it works for your finances and what I can do to help.

please see: »Site FAQ »BASIC AND PREMIUM ACCOUNTS