Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

[ipv6] How long does each stage of IPv6 adoption take?

#1 I saw at

»www.networkworld.com/new ··· 219.html

there are different stages of deploying IPv6, which are:

a) Researching

b) Testing

c) Trialing

d) Deploying

e) In Production

#2 Now is this thread, I want to know the answer to a different question.

#3 How long does each stage of IPv6 adoption take?

Thank you

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

1 recommendation

chamberc

Premium Member

Re: [ipv6] How long does each stage of IPv6 adoption take?

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 I saw at

»www.networkworld.com/new ··· 219.html

there are different stages of deploying IPv6, which are:

a) Researching

b) Testing

c) Trialing

d) Deploying

e) In Production

#2 Now is this thread, I want to know the answer to a different question.

#3 How long does each stage of IPv6 adoption take?

Thank you

Varies by size of organization and priority given to the effort. Given there is little reason to switch at this point, it's very low for most entities.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

1 recommendation

Nick to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
All those stages depend on one key ingredient: Budgets.

A company that just upgraded it's core infrastructure (to something that's not IPv6 capable) may not have it in their budget to buy new core routers for another 3-5 years.

Same thing for equipment for testing & trials.
There's also a lot of legacy stuff that isn't IPv6 capable and options for replacement are limited.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet

MVM

said by Nick:

A company that just upgraded it's core infrastructure (to something that's not IPv6 capable) may not have it in their budget to buy new core routers for another 3-5 years.

anything purchased within the last few years (unless you're incredibly cheap) has basic ipv6 support. if a company's core infrastructure is on anything longer than a 5 years refresh -- they need to seriously evaluate their priorities.

q.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

If a company's core infrastructure is on anything longer than a 5 years refresh...

Ok.

Is it possible for an user who uses that company find that out, without working for (and or asking) them?

If so, how would that be done?

Thank you

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet

MVM

said by aefstoggaflm:

Is it possible for an user who uses that company find that out, without working for (and or asking) them?

no.

i'm not going to divulge information about my network topology or platforms - as it opens a potential attack/security vector.

q.

anon ipv6
@rcn.com

anon ipv6

Anon

said by tubbynet:

said by aefstoggaflm:

no.

i'm not going to divulge information about my network topology or platforms - as it opens a potential attack/security vector.

So, I take it an user can not ask their ISP, quote from

»docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/W ··· out_IPv6
quote:
1. Are all components of the circuit IPv6 enabled? Yes / No (Mandatory response required)
2. If yes, does the circuit support dual stacks operation of IPv6 and IPv4? (Yes / No)
3. If no, please list components of circuit with the following conditions:
4. List of circuit components that are not IPv6 enabled, but are IPv6 ready. Please include road map with dates when components will be IPv6 enabled.
5. List of circuit components that are not IPv6 enabled, and are not IPv6 ready. Please include plan with dates when these components will be IPv6 ready and when they will be IPv6 enabled.
6. Can the circuit that services the existing IPv4 connection be converted to dual-stack without the physical changes ?
7. If the your IPv6 ready or IPv6 enabled circuits will have different Service Levels as compared to a IPv4 only circuit, please provide more details:
8. Please provide details if your IPv6 ready or IPv6 enabled circuits will not be able to route Provider Independent address space that is equal to existing routing across the contracted circuit.

Thank you

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet

MVM

said by Anon80:

So, I take it an user can not ask their ISP, quote from

if you look at my response -- it was in relation to the op's quote of what i had originally said

If a company's core infrastructure is on anything longer than a 5 years refresh...

to which -- he asked --

it is completely possible to ask your sp about ipv6 and readiness.

they will not tell you platforms, architectures, etc.

q.