Search similar:

uniqs

Hesp
@grouptelecom.net

Hesp

Anon

[BC] Internet 50 - bonding and ALU modem

Hi All,

Need some input here. Apparently they have to run an additional line to my house to bond two lines together but i have a custom setup with the V1000, ALU modem, switch and my own router. So the V2000H has two telephone input so that mean the two lines would have to connect directly to it and that would make my current setup obsolete (no ALU, switch) . The only option to separate my home network and tv would to be put the V2000H into bridge mode correct?

Thanks
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Anon80:

Hi All,

Need some input here. Apparently they have to run an additional line to my house to bond two lines together but i have a custom setup with the V1000, ALU modem, switch and my own router. So the V2000H has two telephone input so that mean the two lines would have to connect directly to it and that would make my current setup obsolete (no ALU, switch) . The only option to separate my home network and tv would to be put the V2000H into bridge mode correct?

Thanks

no you can also setup the V2000H in bridge mode and disable the TR-69. You have to do an hardware reset while the phone line are disconnected. Make all your changes than reconnect the phone lines. You will be fine.

Hesp
@grouptelecom.net

Hesp

Anon

ok so :

Telus 2 phone lines--->ActiontecV2000H (bridge mode - disabled TR-69)---> My own router (as is)
----> Optik TV boxes

I have ip cameras, access points ,etc so those wont be affected? Hate to redo all the setup
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Anon80:

ok so :

Telus 2 phone lines--->ActiontecV2000H (bridge mode - disabled TR-69)---> My own router (as is)
----> Optik TV boxes

I have ip cameras, access points ,etc so those wont be affected? Hate to redo all the setup

Nope. you should be fine.

Hesp
@grouptelecom.net

Hesp

Anon

Thanks. I hate do break up my perfectly running environment but the speed increase is making me drool : P

Question
@grouptelecom.net

Question

Anon

just one more question

so what ports on the actiontec do i connect my own router. Any open lan ports? and then by STBs (2) connect to any two lan ports as well?

Thanks
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

There is an WAN Port on the Actiontech. that should go to the WAN Port of your router.
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

? the only time the wan port should be used on an actiontec is with a fiber ont, other then that its pointless, wan ports are for bringing internet signals INTO a router, NOT out of a modem, lan ports are for plugging in router to modem, and an actiontec in bridge is technically just a modem, i have never heard nor can i imagine a situation where connecting WAN to WAN would make sense, LAN on actiontec to WAN on your router is what you are suppose to do

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

cool thanks. So I can still put a switch in one of the Actiontech LAN ports to expand my connectivity?

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth to 18286719

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

wan ports are for bringing internet signals INTO a router, NOT out of a modem

On my Zyxel vsg1432(non-Telus firmware) I can change the Wan port on it into a LAN port to achieve 5 LAN ports.
Home network -> 5th internet port .. "You can convert your Ethernet WAN port as LAN port, or restore the LAN port to WAN port."

But heck knows what the Actiontec has via Root functions, when changed to bridge mode.

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

So will the Telus tech do the bridging mode for me if I ask him to?
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to humanfilth

to humanfilth
yes, aswell on my asus router i can change 1 of my LAN ports to have double wan to have 2 internet connections on 1 modem ( i believe it only uses 1) but thats besides my point, u never hook up a WAN port to a WAN port, if your hooking up a wan port to a wan port in lan mode that doesnt count, should be fairly obvious as its not acting as a wan port once u turn it into a lan port

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

1 edit

humanfilth to Hesp

to Hesp
said by Anon80:

So will the Telus tech do the bridging mode for me if I ask him to?

thats a 'no no' for them to do that* (*as far as I know)

Just Google
telus root bridge

»[BC] Telus V2000h - Loop Bonding - Bridge Mode?
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Hesp

to Hesp
yes you can add a switch to the actiontec, but i think it would make more sense to add the switch after whatever device your using for your router, do you plan on using the actiontec in bridge mode aswell? if so i recommend connecting the actiontec to your router and then to a switch, if you dont plan on putting the actiontec in bridge then yes you should connect your switch directly to the actiontec. the only time i can think a switch would need to be used before a router would be with a single port modem like an ALU where the user is trying to pull more then 1 dynamic ip, hope that made sense

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

that's what I have now is the ALU and then it goes to a switch and then my N66U and my V1000H goes into the switch. That separates my Home network with the Optik TV. So by putting into bridge mode for the V2000H, will that make it into a "ALU" mode and thus connect a switch to it and have the setup I already have?
twixt
join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC

twixt to 18286719

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

yes you can add a switch to the actiontec, but i think it would make more sense to add the switch after whatever device your using for your router, do you plan on using the actiontec in bridge mode aswell? if so i recommend connecting the actiontec to your router and then to a switch, if you dont plan on putting the actiontec in bridge then yes you should connect your switch directly to the actiontec. the only time i can think a switch would need to be used before a router would be with a single port modem like an ALU where the user is trying to pull more then 1 dynamic ip, hope that made sense

-

There are two different things involved here. When using the Actiontec in bridge mode, it is my understanding that all 4 LAN ports are available as "modem output" devices.

Thus, if the user wishes to have two external IPs, one of the LAN ports could go to the WAN port of Router1 and another LAN port to the WAN port of Router2 - and the user would have two completely independent network connections to "the outside world" (great for testing and validating VPNs).

It should also be possible to connect the STBs to the Actiontec LAN ports - and thereby avoid imposing the IGMP packet-routing load on the downstream side of either router (although you'd still have to enable IGMP Snooping on both routers to prevent "bufferbloat" from eventually causing packet-stalling on the Actiontec).

As far as I am aware, once an Actiontec is in bridge mode - there is electronically no difference between the Actiontec and an ALU connected to a 4-port switch. However, this does need to be physically verified as I have not done so personally.

Hesp
@grouptelecom.net

Hesp

Anon

So once all that bridging is done. I can just basically reconnect my N66U into the Actiontec and voila back in business without any configuration on my router
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

xeonic to Hesp

Premium Member

to Hesp
If you want it to behave like your current setup, you need to keep the V1000H (the tech might not let you do this) and replace the ALU and the switch with the V2000H (in bridge mode). You would bridge the V2000H and then plug the WAN of the N66U into the LAN of the V2000H, likewise you would plug the WAN of the V1000H into LAN of the V2000H. Both devices will get public IP addresses, as did they, with your ALU setup.

I "think" if you plug the STB's into the bridged V2000H LAN ports, they will get IP addresses from the 10.0.0.0/8 network and while they should still work, I believe it breaks some functionality of the STB. (I thought I read this somewhere so I may be incorrect.)
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to twixt

to twixt
said by twixt:

As far as I am aware, once an Actiontec is in bridge mode - there is electronically no difference between the Actiontec and an ALU connected to a 4-port switch. However, this does need to be physically verified as I have not done so personally.

i 100% agree with this theoretically the actiontec in bridge is the same as an alu connected to a 4 port switch

18286719 (banned) to xeonic

to xeonic
what u just said makes like 0 sense to me, plz emphasize why he would ever want a 2000 and a 1000 if he has a router and a switch and both 1000 or 2000 can be bridged

IMO if i understand this right this is what your setup should look like

Actiontec V2000 lan1>Your Router
lan2>optik tv STB
lan3>optik tv STB
lan4>optik tv STB or a switch if u want more ports to plug in another router or STB (lan 1 lan 2 lan 3 lan 4 all refer to actiontec ports)
xeonic
Premium Member
join:2011-09-03

xeonic

Premium Member

Sure, let me "emphasize" it for you.

So you've enabled bridge mode, right?

And than means that any device you plug into the LAN ports on the Actiontec will get a public IP, right? i.e. If you plug "Your Router" into "Actiontec V2000 lan1", it will get a public IP.

Now what do you think happens if you plug a STB into lan2, lan3, lan4? They should get a public IP (remember, you put the Actiontec in bridge mode, right?), but in this case, Telus gives the STB a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx/22 IP address, you can pick whatever numbers you like for the x's. The STB will work but it breaks certain functionality if your STB's aren't locally behind a router (i.e. the original non-bridged V1000H), I "think" the non-pvr boxes will no longer be able to access the PVR, but like I said earlier, I'm not 100% sure about that and I don't feel like tearing down my network to try it out so I can prove you wrong.

If the OP wants to leave everything as-is without reconfiguring anything, then what I said originally will work.

hesp
@telus.net

hesp to 18286719

Anon

to 18286719
Yes, Connor's explained setup is what I was looking at it. I shouldn't have any QoS issues?
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to xeonic

to xeonic
you could be completely right about that actually i have no idea or not cause i have never had optik tv so hesp you may have to actually set up like how he said which if i understand correct is like V2000H LAN 1> your router
LAN 2> V1000H LAN 1>STB
LAN 2>STB
LAN 3>STB
LAN 4>STB

LAN 3 AND LAN 3 for the v2000 could be used to pull additional external ip's for other routers or servers ect

when i type it in the text box it looks good but when it gets postsed on the site its really hard to read how i explained the setup sorry if its anoying

Hesp
@telus.net

Hesp

Anon

Thanks guys for your help. I just want to make sure I can get the right setup before taking the plunge
Expand your moderator at work