o boogie
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Central TX

1 edit

o boogie to John97

Premium Member

to John97

Re: Insulative Sheathing under aluminum siding ?

Well, I do not know. That is why I'm seeking opinions.

Just returning from scouting the outside. I do believe there is some thin (~ 1/2 " ) material that is indeed just under the Alum. siding.
Since the siding has been up for over 25 years I bet whatever the material is , it has no radiant properties (like the modern material i see at the big box stores, with a reflective laminate on one surface).

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

You need to be aware of the situation robbin See Profile and I are speaking of. If you are able to replace the existing material with something newer of the same thickness, you should be OK. Anything that adds thickness is going to cause trouble.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to o boogie

Premium Member

to o boogie
There should be sheathing under most of the siding and plywood in the corners. (If it's like my builder) I did what you are suggesting and had a pro, (using the term loosely) do the job of adding additional board insulation to the house and then siding.

The main problem is that he had trouble fastening the siding to the new double layer of insulation and sheathing. I didn't find out until a few years later when the siding started blowing off.

I think the proper way would be to replace the sheathing with the insulation board.