how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state

1 recommendation

Is line being run along bridge or under the bay?

Thats awfully nice of them to want to install FiOS.

However there are some questions regarding it. Cablevision for years has wanted to run their digital service to this community, but haven't been allowed to because the state will not allow them to run a line along the Robert Moses Causeway Bridge and it is too expensive to run a 2 mile underground line for 600 homes where the majority are only occupied in the summer. Is Verizon getting an unfair exception to run a line across the bridge or will they be spending the huge amount of money to run a line under the bay that will never recoup its full cost?

For its part Cablevision does offer analog TV service in the community, but the signal is beamed across the bay by microwave to a receiver. There is roughly only about 50 analog channel available due to limited microwave bandwidth. This is an example of Cablevision being forced to offer service due to their franchise agreement even though they lose money on this seasonal community.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
Can Cablevision/Optimum not lease some fibers from Verizon to get to the island, and then set up their own equipment at the CO? Or does CV not see it as profitable to lease fiber from a competitor?

I bet there are places VZ leases fiber from CV for Cell Towers...

I thought ILECs had to be allowed to lease space at the COs to competitors?

josephf

join:2009-04-26
More likely is that Verizon will not be interested in leasing capacity over its newly installed fiber to a competitor such as Cablevision.

The ILECs obligations for leasing colocation and UNE do not apply to newly wired fiber.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
I assumed at least VZ, if not others, have at least fiber from the rest of the world going to the CO that is existing fiber that has been there for years

I am not referring to any new fiber that would be pulled from the CO out to customers - CV would have to run its own fiber from the CO to their own Head End and then run their own fiber to their Nodes, if not all the way to the premises

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY
reply to ILpt4U
ILECs are only required by the FCC to give wholesale access to copper networks, not fiber networks. If ILECs were required to give wholesale access to fiber networks, we wouldn't pay $50-60 for 15-25 mbps. We would pay $30 for 100+ mbps.

And VZ has the money to run their fiber, so they wouldn't need to lease CV's fiber.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by FreeBSDuser:

ILECs are only required by the FCC to give wholesale access to copper networks, not fiber networks.

That may be all that is required, but there is a large business that the Telcos and Cablecos are in leasing out fiber access, whether they have to or not

But the responses I am seeing here, I guess this would not be something VZ and CV would be interested in doing at all

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

I could see why a company would not jumping at the chance to service the community if a lot of the residents are seasonal.
The cost to Verizon to get across the water may not be as much if the conduit the copper cable runs in is still intact. They can just pull the copper cable out and replace it with fiber. That would be harder before the storm without knocking out service if the are no spare conduits.
With all the reconstruction it should be almost like placing fiber in a new community.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to FreeBSDuser
said by FreeBSDuser:

If ILECs were required to give wholesale access to fiber networks, we wouldn't have a fiber network at all.

Fixed it for you.

FreeBSDuser

join:2013-05-15
Somers, NY
Well, that can also be true.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to ILpt4U
Yes. Since Cablevision is a CLEC they could force VZ to give them floor space within a CO to house equipment if Cablevision wished. They just would not be allowed to use the last mile of services from VZ.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by TBBroadband:

Yes. Since Cablevision is a CLEC they could force VZ to give them floor space within a CO to house equipment if Cablevision wished. They just would not be allowed to use the last mile of services from VZ.

The floor space is part of it -- but could CV also lease fiber access from the rest of the world coming into the CO from VZ or anyone else (if anyone else)? At least in theory?

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to EO50
Most likely they already have a fiber line or their existing Telco status means they already have the rights to use existing easements.

Essentially, does the existing telephone network already run along the bridge? If so, then the question is answered.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ
reply to EO50
This should be interesting, I would like to know more. CATV has a right to use other utilities' plant. Cablevision has a right-of-way to use poles so wouldn't they get to use a conduit or whatever other way Verizon gets to the island?

When they pull out a ten inch diameter copper cable and replace it with 1/2 inch glass there is plenty of room left over. Cablevision doesn't want to wire up the island ether is my guess.

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state
reply to EO50
Here is another angle from Cablevision standpoint. Even though it wasn"t profitable and required by franchise agreement, they were at least the only paid TV provider on the island. With Verizon FiOS they will have competition. Does this spur Cablevision to start lobbying NY State to allow them to run fiber to the island? Or does their Franchise agreement allow them to bail out of the market if their percentage of customers falls below a certain number percentage due to competition? Cablevision was forced to offer TV Service there as part of their franchise agreement prior to DirecTV and Dish Network existing.

In reality from a financial standpoint, voice should only be served by cell phone towers. TV should only be served by Satellite. Data nowadays can be provided by cell phone. Data should not be a big issue there as most houses are actually rented to vacationers so internet access is not in high demand there.

The majority of people who live there are very rich and used that influence have Verizon FiOS installed there. It will lose money and be subsidized by Verizon FiOS customers from other markets.

BiggA
Premium
join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to EO50
Very interesting. There seems something fishy about that.... And why didn't they do DOCSIS service backhauled on microwave? They'd only need 38mbps for a D2 channel on the island, or lease fiber from Verizon for that, and cobble it back together with the analog TV that I presume no one uses?