Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Text box hangs insteading of showing vertical scroll bar

Click for full size
On both Win 8 Pro on Fx 17.0.8 ESR, IE10 64 bit, SeaMonkey 2.20 and Opera 12.16 and on XP Pro with old Fx 4, current SeaMonkey, and current Opera (don't use IE on XP) when I have typed a certain number of lines in the text box, the next line makes the box jump repeatedly and I can't see what I am typing as the vertical scroll bar doesn't appear like it should. Pull corner doesn't work in any browser now on this site as it just makes a very wide box but extremely narrow one vertically. (Pull corner -on the browsers that have pull corner - at other sites lets you enlarge vertically and horizontally so you can make the text box the size you want before you start typing...that used to be the case here also for many years but not in the last few years).

As it currently is now, the text box is too wide horizontally and too short vertically. I can live with this drawback and if that was the only "problem" would not have posted about it. However, I do think that the vertical scroll bar should appear properly so I don't have to stop typing (when I get to the line where it should automatically appear) and have to hit the Enter bar several times to force it to appear. (Of course, if there was more vertical space in the first place, so the box was not unbalanced in shape - should be more of a square shape and much bigger, then I might never get to the line where the vertical scroll bar should automatically appear). When I have to stop and hit the Enter bar several times, then that makes the line before the one I can't see drop down so there is white space between the lines and I have drag it back to where it belongs and it gets tiresome. (Of course this doesn't happen on shorter posts...but I tend to be longwinded).

(It happens on the 21st line so I typed some extra characters to get the screen shot).

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin

Mod

if you can find someone else with this similar problem, I'll certainly look into it.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
The vertical scrollbar isn't supposed to appear (until you reach the max-height), because the box is auto-resized vertically based on how much you type in. The resize handle is only configured to work for the horizontal, though--yes--you can change this with CSS if you really want to. I don't see the point in doing this myself. The vertical sizing "jumps" (quoting you), adding a line height as needed (for the long-winded), but I haven't encountered any problems with it (using Fx22 & Fx23) when this happens (yet).

I tested it a bit more (after I found /dev/null--sort of moved, sort of not)--still didn't encounter any problems with the vertical sizing and the scrollbar appearing. Still, if you want it to be a particular size, then you can make it that size using CSS if you want to.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The problem is that the scrollbar NEVER APPEARS. I get to line 21 where it should appear and instead of appearing the window starts jumping with EACH KEYSTROKE IT JUMPS and I cannot see but just the very top of the text I am typing on line 21...so I am basically typing blind from then on. I have the choice of continuing to type lines that I cannot see (my screenshot shows this) or I can stop typing and hit the Enter bar a couple of times which forces the vertical scroll bar to appear so I can see what I am typing beginning on line 21 (and to make the jumping with each keystroke stop). It is irritating though to have to stop my flow of words to do this. Plus, hitting the enter bar to force the scroll bar to appear drops the line down several lines and makes text appear maybe in the middle of the line so I have to use the mouse and grab the text and put it up on the end of line 20 where it was before I had to force the scrollbar to appear on line 21.

I shouldn't have to do any of that. I am using FULLY SUPPORTED BROWSERS (except for Fx 4 on XP) and this should not be happening except maybe on the old Fx4.

Let's see what happens on Fx 10 ESR if I get down to line 21. I have it on this virtual machine running XP Pro on XP Pro host machine. Who knows, maybe it will work right on it...got three more lines to type to see what it does...this should be interesting,
come on...what more can I say to get to line 21...suddenly I am not feeling so verbose as I was ...hmmm...I think this is it ...I don't know but I didn't get the scroll bar and I can see what i am typing...well, well, well....it works right on Fx 10 ESR on the same OS where other bro ahhhh....now it happened ugh

I had to force the scrollbar to be able to see what I was typing starting on line 21. When I forced the scrollbar to appear it messed up the text as the word "bro" had been typed in as "browser" and there are the MISSING WORDS "don't work right". Forcing the scrollbar to appear deleted some of the words I had typed on LINE 20 and stuck the words I had typed but could notsee on line 21 up on line 20. That is a mess to fix!

The resize handle should work for vertical also. I don't have a wide screen monitor. I need VERTICAL resizing and I have it on every other site. It is only this one where my browsers have been partially crippled. That resize handle is a function of my browsers and should not need any special CSS to fix it. But I am willing to put up with the bad size of the text box here if the scroll bar would appear at the correct time (line 21) and work correctly but it doesn't.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

Strange that nothing seems to work for you. (Could it be another Proxo related issue?) The scrollbar just pops right up for me as I would expect it to when I'm testing. This CSS [for Firefox] allows the resize handle to adjust both horizontal and vertical:
@namespace url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");
@-moz-document url-prefix("http://www.dslreports.com/speak/") {
textarea#dslrcode { resize: both !important; }
}

It works fine in Fx22/23, so I guess it works fine in previous versions with support for resize.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't have Proxo enabled on Opera 12.15 and have the problem there also. I never had problems until the last time Justin changed the reply box here when he removed the ability of my browsers to do what they can do at every other site (enlarge boxes with pull corners both vertically and horizontally). I was using Proxo then and it was Justin's change which he said was his doing so I don't think that suddenly this is a Proxo problem.

Thank you for the CSS. That would be a LIFE SAVER IF IT WORKED.

I have the vertical pull corner now too (after creating those files in my Fx profile and adding your code), but when I enlarge the box (like I did for the vast majority of years I have been until Justin denied this wonderful feature to us - I used an obscure Fx extension to do it until Mozilla added the feature to Fx) the box stays enlarged at the size I want UNTIL I begin to type and then it reverts to the way too wide box that is also too short and squashed looking...so I still have too much width and not enough vertical space to type in.

Sigh. Maybe your CSS will work on Fx 17ESR on Windows 8...maybe it is just on XP on this old Fx 4 that it doesn't work. I'll be SO HAPPY if at least it will work on current Fx ESR version on Windows 8 which I use more than the XP machine. I'll try it tomorrow. It's too late now.

Hmmm...now it is not working at all even though it gives me the correct icons for pulling both vertically and horizontally. I was at line 20 when it wouldn't work and again, line 21, I could not read what I was typing and the pull bar did not appear. Hopefully, it is just Fx 4 being so old and it will work I HOPE on Fx 17.0.8 ESR. (Fx 4 is not showing me the thread above this reply box either. So, I guess it just doesn't work here anymore. Why would I want to see ONLY the comment from you above this text box? I want the entire thread there! The sad thing is that I don't want to install a later Fx on this ailing XP Pro machine. Plus, I have no problems using Fx 4 elsewhere....only this site).

Edit: When I posted this, I was flipped to the front page! That was weird....I don't know if it has anything to do with your CSS or not but I have never had that happen before.

Edit: Just now after edited the first time and posted, it returned me to the thread as it should...so probably was fluke before when it took me to the front page.

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

GlennLouEarl

Premium Member

For later releases of Firefox, at least for testing, you might want to try the portable version at portableapps.com; I use Firefox Portable all the time because it's so easy to run multiple and different releases--I'm running 14, 22, and 23 right now.

Edit: Also, if there's a specific height that you want the box to be (all of the time), then you could just try setting the height: and max-height: values for that and not worry about the resize handle at all.