Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dmaineminent

join:2013-08-23
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Dmaineminent

Re: [Connectivity] Losing connection multiple times a day

I've had a few disconnections today, I noticed that the problem is solved by power cycling JUST the router, where should I go from here?

I had a different issue before and I ended up getting a replacement router, the one I am currently using

BeefJerky9

join:2005-05-28
Spring, TX
said by Dmaineminent:

I've had a few disconnections today, I noticed that the problem is solved by power cycling JUST the router, where should I go from here?

I had a different issue before and I ended up getting a replacement router, the one I am currently using

I'm assuming you've already tried different cables, so I'll skip that.

First thing is to get a hold of another router and try that. You can always return it if it doesn't fix the issue.

If that doesn't fix it, it is time to try a different modem. I had a weird issue with DSL modem where rebooting the router would get my connection back. However, replacing the router didn't help, so I tried another modem which solved the issue. I'm guessing something was wrong with the modem causing it to send out something that knocked out the ethernet port on the router until reboot.

So, try another router; if that doesn't fix it, try another modem. If that still doesn't fix it, well...dunno.

Dmaineminent

join:2013-08-23
Saint Augustine, FL
It has been more than a month since I bought the modem and router from Walmart (they don't keep receipts of transactions more than a month), and I may have misplaced my receipt. Are you recommending getting the same modem, just a replacement?

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Dmaineminent
said by Dmaineminent:

did you try connecting to the modem directly?

somebody suggested that and you didn't post if you did it or not.

that's the first thing I would check...connectivity at the modem level...if that's ok...then I guess it's your N300 that's causing the issue since you mentioned rebooting it solves the issue.

BeefJerky9

join:2005-05-28
Spring, TX
reply to Dmaineminent
said by Dmaineminent:

It has been more than a month since I bought the modem and router from Walmart (they don't keep receipts of transactions more than a month), and I may have misplaced my receipt. Are you recommending getting the same modem, just a replacement?

Same model is fine. But, I would try another router before trying another modem.

As medbuyer suggests, you might try bypassing the router and testing with your PC directly connected to the modem. However, this doesn't 100% rule out the modem. In the case of my bad DSL modem, I didn't have connection problems when directly connected to the modem. I'm guessing the router's ethernet was more sensitive to whatever the bad modem was doing.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to medbuyer
I asked him that in two threads, and yet here we are. I think I'm done offering my assistance here .
--
KI6RIT