how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

[Business] Lan port 1 on SMC not working

yesterday, I came home to find my internet not working.

I isolated the whole network and worked on the modem first. I noticed that port 1 wouldn't connect or even light up. Port 2, 3 and 4 seems ok.

Would you have this replaced by Comcast? I only use 2 ports at a time as this connects to a switch that serves my whole house network.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Since you lease it, absolutely have it replaced.

medbuyer

said by Johkal:

Since you lease it, absolutely have it replaced.

my reservation with that is...

1. I might get a crappier modem like the Netgear.
2. I may get charged a service call for $60.00

but reason #1 is whats really stopping me...

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Call & see if you can swap it at a Comcast office. (i'm not familiar how business accounts work)
If you can, tell them want you want. If they don't have another SMC, don't swap it.

As for charging you for a service call, I wouldn't think you would be charged for faulty equipment.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

dstathop

join:2013-09-04
Huntsville, AL
reply to medbuyer

I had a similar problem with my SMC modem, but all of the ethernet ports stopped working. So, I had a tech come out and replace my modem, but he replaced my nice 3.0 modem with a 2.0 modem that I will eventually replace. That I will do myself.

Not much you can do about number 1, you are going to be stuck with whatever is in his truck and the chances of you getting stuck with an old modem are quite high. You shouldn't have to worry about number 2, because the modem is technically defective, but that doesn't mean that Comcast won't try and charge you for the service call and force you to call them and bitch at them for months on end to remove the charge.

My experience with Comcast tech support and their customer support is less than stellar and knowing what I know now I wouldn't replace the modem if you have available ethernet ports that work.

Word of advice, in case the other ethernet ports stop working, if you do a factory reset of the modem (by holding the reset button in for 10 seconds) it will take it out of bridged mode and turn the wifi on. That way you will at least have internet access (provided you have a wifi capable computer in the house) while you replace your broken modem.

medbuyer

I have my SMC working as a modem and router. It does not have wifi so I use 3 a/p's around the house.

I guess I can call and ask to replace it and see if they'll charge me for the service call. If the tech comes with a crappier modem, I'll just send him away...

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Wonder what fix code the tech would use for that. lets see modem bad, customer doesnt want replaced. Always the old replace fitting code.