uniqs
share rss forum feed

rayodunne

join:2007-12-12
Sudbury, ON

Need help with my home network.

Click for full size
Map
I have attached a map of my home network. I am trying to get my WDTV boxes to access the media server while hooked up to the dd-wrt VPN router. If you need more info on the settings of each device I will be happy to provide them. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

The DD-WRT unit will block any broadcasts from coming from the PC media server since it's on a different subnet.

If for some reason you can't move the PC Media server consider getting a 2nd network interface on it so it can connect to both devices at the same time?

Another option, if your WDTV can be made to connect to devices with explicit IPs, maybe you can connect via that method and make sure the packets don't get sent over the VPN instead of the lan arrangement.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
reply to rayodunne

or just put everything on the same subnet......
or create a dmz

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to rayodunne

Bad network design, why do you have 2 separate broadcast domains for such a small network? You also don't need to double NAT everything by running through the WAN port on the DDWRT device.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON
reply to Dcite

Thanks for your reply. The WDTV only connects to media servers and windows SMB shares.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON
reply to rednekcowboy

Will that work if the WAN IP of the dd-wrt router is not assigned by the actiontec router?

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON
reply to twizlar

Because I'm a total noob. The DD-wrt will only work with the WAN connected as it establishes it's own connection to the VPN server using PPTP. It does not get an IP from the actiontec.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to rayodunne

said by rayodunne:

Will that work if the WAN IP of the dd-wrt router is not assigned by the actiontec router?

Assign the dd-wrt an IP out of the scope of the DHCP of the actiontec router and then turn off DHCP. connect the 2 lan to lan.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

The VPN server assigns the WAN IP so I can't change it. What if I assign static IP's on the WDTV's in the range of the Actiontec and change the DHCP on the dd-wrt to match the actiontec? Would that work? If I connect them lan to lan the VPN does not work as it is setup on the WAN connection.

X10A

join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC
reply to rayodunne

assume your dd-wrt vpn is use to connect to netflix etc
assume you connecting your pc to main router because you don't want to be in vpn
then easiest way to solve this is add another NIC in yoru media server PC, connect it to dd-wrt lan. And WDTV should see pc media server content and you can still enjoy direct internet from antiontec.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

Your assumptions are correct and that does sound like a good solution.

Savillian

join:2003-11-22

I'm not sure the way X10A says will necessarily work. You can't tell the media server which NIC to use for internet access and therefore it might sometimes use the Non-VPN way or sometimes might use the VPN way.

Totally off-topic, but what are you using for VOIP behind the ActionTec? Any problems with it?

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

I am using a linksys spa2102 with voip.ms No issues thus far.

smackYYZ

join:2010-03-31
Brampton, ON
reply to Savillian

You can update your routing rules so that all 192.168.2.0/24 traffic uses the 192.168.2.1 gateway connected to the ddwrt and default the rest of the traffic to 192.168.1.1.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

Update the routing rules on which device?

X10A

join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC

2 edits
reply to Savillian

said by Savillian:

I'm not sure the way X10A says will necessarily work. You can't tell the media server which NIC to use for internet access and therefore it might sometimes use the Non-VPN way or sometimes might use the VPN way.

it's simple,just leave gateway empty on the vpn side of nic. or put the actiontec gateway there.. I forgot which one is the right solution but one of them is.

in fact I used to have a similar setup years ago.

smackYYZ

Brampton, ON

2 edits
reply to rayodunne

Either!

The media server if your going to use 2 NICs in it.

Or the ddwrt to ensure any traffic routed to 192.168.1/0 uses the 192.168.2.1 gateway, not the VPN gateway and still use one nic

Savillian

join:2003-11-22

said by X10A:

it's simple,just leave gateway empty on the vpn side of nic. or put the actiontec gateway there.. I forgot which one is the right solution but one of them is.

in fact I used to have a similar setup years ago.

You are right, I thought about leaving the GW blank on the VPN NIC afterwards.

said by smackYYZ:

The media server if your going to use 2 NICs in it.

Or the ddwrt to ensure any traffic routed to 192.168.1/0 uses the 192.168.2.1 gateway, not the VPN gateway and still use one nic

Can't do that because the WAN side of the VPN router is getting a VPN address and therefore wouldn't be able to route to the ActionTec outside of the VPN, I think.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

I set it up last night with the second NIC. Thanks for the help everyone!
I am able to use windows shares now between the WDTV and Media computer but the WDTV can't see the media server. I think it is because on the VPN NIC i set the gateway to the Actiontec IP. I will just leave it blank (as suggested by X10A) tonight and see if that changes anything. Will leaving it blank mean some of my Internet traffic on the Media PC will travel through VPN?

smackYYZ

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Savillian

when you have a VPN running on a NIC, what happens is that the NIC ip is still there for the local network, then a virtual NIC is create to represent the VPN. The issue is what settings are in the VPN settings. WHat is probably happning is that when the VPN is established it is updating the routing so that all the non local traffic (192.168.2.0/24 would be the only local traffic) goes thru the VPN, to the VPN remote gateway. So what is needed is a route to route the 192.168.1.0/24 traffic through the 192.168.2.1 gateway and not the vpn tunnel.

rayodunne

Sudbury, ON

1 edit

Click for full size
But I don't have a VPN running on either NIC. The VPN is running on the DD-WRT router. Both NIC have internet access but on different subnets. One flows through the VPN router then the Actiontec to the internet and the other just the actiontec.

smackYYZ

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms

the NIC I was referring to was the DDWRT NIC in the router. NIC = Network Interface Controler, this refers to any component that connects a computer to a network ( your router is a very specialized small computer ). A NIC will always have a MAC address.