Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Rant] The tech support over the phone is just atrocious

I currently had Comcast swap a modem for a family member from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0...took a whole 3 days to get it up and running. It's apparently a very complicated process that requires vast experience.

Tech came by today. Checked the levels and laughed when he saw them at an SNR of 40 and just smiled. He then says, "It just wasn't activated, which can be a bit of a problem because to get service it needs to be activated." I called twice and spent about two hours with them on the phone to activate the new modem(wasn't the first time I activate a modem with Comcast).

Comcast even transferred me to another HSI provider to which the guy there who picked up laughed a good bit and told me: "Well, if we were in your area I would try switching you to us, we don't treat our customers like this, but we don't even offer service in your state." I then hung up and angrily called back again. A guy named "Patrick" helped me the second time around. Poor guy couldn't even pronounce his fake name that he is given to pretend to be in the USA and then decides to send a tech. I ask him for a Tuesday appointment and he says there are none, I then go online and there are some. I just didn't want to move it to Tuesday given that I figured if I touched anything more I would probably get it cancelled and have to wait even longer.

I then posted on the Comcast direct forum to see if anyone could look over this issue as clearly I felt that the service was working great before and the new modem seemed in like new condition. The gateway didn't even have the MAC address stickers on it, I got a roll of them and put one on it myself. At this point I feel like okay maybe the tech support from India is just terrible, but somebody here surely can glance at it and activate it if that is the only issue(after all I have had great experience before with them).

No dice. Vic says he doesn't see it online, but shortly after I say I'm posting from it and appears online on my end he says that he sees it online and has been up. Okay, so my suspicion at this point was that the modem/gateway was faulty. Alright good, I already have a tech scheduled to drop by but that wasn't the issue. He apparently saw the modem, but didn't realize this thing wasn't activated. I was surfing the web on an unactivated modem. I was getting atrocious speeds and a lot of hangs on websites, but I was browsing the web somehow. In the end it turns out I was right the entire time and the lady from India who activated it somehow didn't activate my modem right and didn't enable the telephone feature on the phone at all.

Two things I clearly do not get:

1. How does the modem not being activated get past their system(none of the people I spoke with realized this)?
2. How on earth are these people hired? I understand errors, but clearly the lady who activated my modem has no clue what she is doing. She transfers me to a competitor company as well to which after waiting quite a bit on the phone have to start over again with another tech.

Yes, I dialed the Comcast number and had them ask for account verification with them. I didn't dial to some random company and try to get it installed. This experience is just mind boggling. I really do not get how this is the best tech support a company like Comcast can get. It really is all about the money with these goons. Freaking oligopoly market.

mike31US

join:2013-08-15
Auburn, WA
Their customer service is well documented to be some of the worst in the industry. The other day I wrote in some feedback due to some shoddy "technical" help a gentleman in India gave me. Someone emailed me back with a copy and paste reply littered with spelling and grammatical errors. It's unfortunate as some of the guys higher up than tier 1 are very knowledgeable and friendly.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Aozora
said by Aozora:

I then posted on the Comcast direct forum to see if anyone could look over this issue as clearly I felt that the service was working great before and the new modem seemed in like new condition. The gateway didn't even have the MAC address stickers on it, I got a roll of them and put one on it myself.

where did you get the modem that didn't have the MAC address sticker?

and why do you have a roll of MAC address stickers?

just curious...

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
reply to mike31US
I think it's just the luck of the draw when you call tech support.
It used to be when I called support I would always get someone in western Washington. They all knew what they were doing.
Then I started getting someone in Denver and those people were good at their jobs too.
I setup my Granddaughters internet with Comcast and got a person I could no way understand. I hung up and made the call again. That happened 3 more times and I finally got someone in Fife WA. and the account was setup and running in 10 minutes. It took over an hour just to get to someone I could understand and who could understand that I just wanted to get a modem provisioned.
As for the Comcast techs who have had to come to my house over the years, they have all been excellent.
The higher ups who make the decisions as to what call centers are being used should look at that a little closer.

Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by Aozora:

I then posted on the Comcast direct forum to see if anyone could look over this issue as clearly I felt that the service was working great before and the new modem seemed in like new condition. The gateway didn't even have the MAC address stickers on it, I got a roll of them and put one on it myself.

where did you get the modem that didn't have the MAC address sticker?

and why do you have a roll of MAC address stickers?

just curious...

At the Comcast service center. They gave me the gateway sealed in some translucent color bag and a small roll of stickers with mac address info on it(all of the stickers had the same info btw).

I have had various good and bad experiences with the techs who come. I had one who cut the neighbors dish and left me with a modem that would go out every 10 minutes. I've also gotten one who promptly got on the phone and then on the pole and fixed my issue over a two hour span. He left it rock solid after being on top of that pole in the heat of July. Wish I always got that guy.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1
reply to Aozora
I stayed on a tech call for two hours just to activate my modem.