uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 recommendations

Origin sucks....

Ugh - this is the worst part of Mass Effect and I have yet to play. I have never been able to log in - I always have had to change my password as it does not accept the new password after I log out. It takes too long to get the email AND the email says to click on the link but the screen for Origin says to type on the code. Nothing really tells you the link IS the code to type in (or copy/paste).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

I don't know man. I've yet to have any issues with Origin. It's nearly identical to Steam, just a different skin.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Ghastlyone:

I don't know man. I've yet to have any issues with Origin. It's nearly identical to Steam, just a different skin.

And that greasy, slimy film of EA smothered all over it.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to CylonRed
Unless I've been blind this whole time, Origin's UI has been driving me nuts.

I want a nice list of games in text, not a bunch of huge icons! And the whole download/instal DLC/extras is just way too flakey. Half the time it tells me it finished downloading, then nothing happens and the button remains as 'download' instead of changing to install or installed. Is it installed? Is it downloaded? Who cares! Here, click the back button and be forced into our store page instead of going back to your games list to make you feel better!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Yea - I had to download it a second time apparently. I started it and then left and came back and could not tell if it downloaded or installed - so I did it again.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to CylonRed
I've had a lot of issues with Origin too. I had to reset my password with them too and you're right, it takes that email forever to come. I haven't had an issue with it not recognizing the password after that though. I have had an issue with it sometimes not recognizing games after install.
--
The Goober (Formerly Mac Bridger)
Fight Cancer! Join DSLR's Team Discovery

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

This.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
So far - my few years with Steam has been far less problematic than the 3 days with Origin. I don't think I should have to be connected to Origin 100% of the time just so I don;t have to 'reset' my password every time I attempt to log in.
--
Brian

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to CylonRed
Steam is so much cleaner than Origin. I dislike Origin. It's sloppy, half-assed, not well designed or thought out. It really spotlights how well Steam is managed and produced. Not so much for EA.
--
Games - NorF;Cal -

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

This right here. I have been running Origin for a couple years now and I haven't had any issues. It runs as flawlessly as Steam.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

3 edits
reply to CylonRed
I logged into Origin yesterday and kept it up and this morning - it is not responding... Maybe just coincidence - I was trying to enter data in a spreadsheet and Excel would freeze up and not respond art one section. After I killed Origin - Excel worked without issues.

And try and log into Origin again AND.................. it fails to recognize my password again. Keeping a 100% record of 'losing' the password since I installed it. At least it did not take over 5 minutes to get my link/code.

So yet again I will reset my password to the exact same password as before.

LOL - logged out after 3 minutes and tried to log back in - it fails to recognize my password when I copied and pasted the password when I set it AND entered it.

EDIT: I decided to 'change' my password from within Origin - after I was logged in. The system does not recognize my current password - even though it is the same password I used to get logged in.

EDIT: Looks like it has been going on since January of 2012:
»forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7914836.page

Niiiiiiiice.
--
Brian

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
I've also seen some internet rage directed toward Origin for co-op not working in games like Dead Space 3. Apparently it's been going on for months, EA is aware of it, and yet no fix. I haven't experienced this personally though.

Edited because words are hard.

--
The world was movin' she was right there with it and she was

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I logged into Origin yesterday and kept it up and this morning - it is not responding... Maybe just coincidence - I was trying to enter data in a spreadsheet and Excel would freeze up and not respond art one section. After I killed Origin - Excel worked without issues.

And try and log into Origin again AND.................. it fails to recognize my password again. Keeping a 100% record of 'losing' the password since I installed it. At least it did not take over 5 minutes to get my link/code.

So yet again I will reset my password to the exact same password as before.

LOL - logged out after 3 minutes and tried to log back in - it fails to recognize my password when I copied and pasted the password when I set it AND entered it.

EDIT: I decided to 'change' my password from within Origin - after I was logged in. The system does not recognize my current password - even though it is the same password I used to get logged in.

EDIT: Looks like it has been going on since January of 2012:
»forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7914836.page

Niiiiiiiice.

Hrm....

The post you quoted talks about passwords not being saved and users having to put them in everytime they open Origin. Yet, you talk about your password not being valid over and over again. So which problem are you having?
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to CylonRed
Yeah I confused.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Nightfall
I think they are very much related. Origin does not recognize the password and I have to reset it every time (set it to the same password I already had). I have a feeling that the password is not being set in the DB for the account. Only reason I can think of that would cause the password not to be recognized when I am already logged in.
--
Brian

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by CylonRed:

I think they are very much related. Origin does not recognize the password and I have to reset it every time (set it to the same password I already had). I have a feeling that the password is not being set in the DB for the account. Only reason I can think of that would cause the password not to be recognized when I am already logged in.

They don't sound related to me.

In the thread you posted, it is all about the password working, but it not being saved in the program.

In your OP, you talk about the password being incorrect all the time. As you say, "it fails to recognize my password again. Keeping a 100% record of 'losing' the password since I installed it."

So it sounds to me that your password is constantly wrong and the program is keeping track of your "wrong" password.
--

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to CylonRed
A new Origin issue for me tonight. I tried to log in and my email was invalid. Not my password, my email. I had to re-register my account. I did so using the same email and when I did all my info was there. Yes, it was the correct email as I've only been using that email address for everything since I joined DSLR, 12 years ago... Not to mention all my data was there afterwards... Very odd.
--
The Goober (Formerly Mac Bridger)
Fight Cancer! Join DSLR's Team Discovery

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to CylonRed
Works fine here with Battlefield 3 and Simcity 5 with 346 hours +

Actually better than Steam sometimes.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by 90115534:

Works fine here with Battlefield 3 and Simcity 5 with 346 hours +

Actually better than Steam sometimes.

I wouldn't go that far. Steam really is awesome. I haven't had any issues with Steam while I have had a couple with Origin that have been resolved way in the past. Steam to me is my preferred choice, but Origin I am not afraid of purchasing through either.
--

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

+1

Whenever I use Origin I can't help but to feel slimy myself. Yeah, I have it on my PC but I rarely use it. If I wasn't literally forced by EA to go through it to access my games, I would've deleted that piece of shit software eons ago!

It's pretty telling when I have Steam set to run on start up. Steam I don't mind running in the background. I'd rather stab myself in the arm or hand than to have Origin running in the background.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

2 recommendations

reply to CylonRed
I know people have a deep hatred for EA. But come on already, you guys are making a big deal out of nothing with Origin.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the service at all.

According to my system, Origin uses even less resources than Steam. Functions identical in sales transactions, and launching and downloading games.

I know people have a bias towards Steam, since it's been around a lot longer, which is understandable. But come on already. You guys are making a mountain out of mole hill.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast

1 edit
Because Origin works fine for you, no one else should be posting about their Origin issues?

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
Lemme just put this right here: »community.myhughesnet.com/hughes···_on_gen4

Also: quote from a special board member: Robert, I also have this issue with Origin, but it ISN'T Hughesnet AFAIK. Numerous other people have reported this, and most all are in different regions of the country, with different internet providers. IMO, EA is playing blame and refuses to acknowledge that it's them throttling. This is something that has apparently gone on for many, many years now from what I have found.

I know your provider IS'NT a freakin satellite (peace of crap connection) but its with pretty much EVERY provider out there according to board members and employees. This is just to show that it is in fact EA's side that's causing all these problems. I believe it does with ping (like others are saying) so get a better connection if possible, all i can say..

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

Because Origin works fine for you, no one else should be posting about their Origin issues?

I agree. Just as when someone posts issues with Steam, there are people who come out to defend the service. Just because Steam works well for millions doesn't mean it will work well for everyone. Same goes for Origin.

One thing is certain, both Steam and Origin work great for a vast majority of the people out there.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to shinjuru
said by shinjuru:

The complaints you posted were based off aesthetics of the service....
quote:
"It's sloppy, half-assed, not well designed or thought out"
Have you actually never been able to pay for, download and play a game through Origin because it's sloppy and not well designed? Is it hard to navigate through the game listings to find what you would like to purchase? Is managing your games library on Origin much harder to do than Steam? Is activating a game code on Origin harder to do because their page layout is different than Steam?

The vast majority of negative comments in this thread regarding Origin are based solely on bias from hatred towards EA. No actual issues with the service. Some people in here didn't even post a legitimate issue with the software at all, only that it has a "greasy, slimy film of EA" and would rather stab themselves to death than have Origin running on their PC.

I don't have any problem with people posting legitimate technical issues with Origin. What I do have a problem with is people bashing Origin, simply because it's a service run by EA.

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
said by Ghastlyone:

What I do have a problem with is people bashing Origin, simply because it's a service run by EA.

That is what you call a 'brand', and when you run that brand into the ground, that is what you get.

For instance someones example above, talking about people always defending steam. This is due to steams brand being very strong. They handle issues, it works well, etc etc. While some may have issues, the business decisions of steam, and how it runs is generally well received.

Now take EA, noone defends EA. Why? Because their brand has been run into the ground more than that dogs poop in your yard during the summer. From bad decisions, into poor systems. And thats just the start.

Your brand is very important, and if you get upset because people like a brand vs another, you don't understand how business works.

And generally once you do something like this,

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

Your brand is done for the next few years at very least, as your customers lose trust and faith in you.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
said by BKayrac:

For instance someones example above, talking about people always defending steam. This is due to steams brand being very strong. They handle issues, it works well, etc etc. While some may have issues, the business decisions of steam, and how it runs is generally well received.

I guess you guys have pretty short memories here.

Steam doesn't exactly have an impeccable record either when it comes people having technical issues and dislikes.

I clearly remember most PC gamers absolutely hating Steam when it released and for awhile afterwards because of all the technical issues and bugs. Some people couldn't even play their games at all.

By the way, you still didn't mention anything that's wrong with Origin, or anything holding you back from enjoying your games. Other than EA having a "bad rap"

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
said by Ghastlyone:

Steam doesn't exactly have an impeccable record either when it comes people having technical issues and dislikes.

I clearly remember most PC gamers absolutely hating Steam when it released and for awhile afterwards.

By the way, you still didn't mention anything that's wrong with Origin, or anything holding you back from enjoying your games. Other than EA having a "bad rap"

The above is true, however do you notice how steam's brand has improved and is basically the de-facto standard?

Your brand can be improved by making good business decisions, and steam is a great example of this.

EA again is an awful example of this, and continuing to run their brand into the ground. For instance, instead of giving customers what they want for their games(Usable on steam), they instead forced another program onto their computer(Origin) if anyone wanted to play their games. This again, is a great example of them running their brand into the ground.

Personally I don't use Origin, when I did use it for BF3(the last title I purchased, and one of the few I've ever purchased from EA), I found the game got boring quick, and stopped playing, Origin has not been on my PC since I formatted it.

However why would I need to give examples of why origin technically speaking is bad? I am simply explaining to you why people react as they do to origin as you don't seem to grasp the concept of why people hate origin.

Things can be forgotten from companies, sometimes through silence on the companies end, sometimes through fixing issues, sometimes through beginning to give customers what they want. All of those things steam did, and did well. None of those things EA did, and in fact they did many of the opposite things. So EA's brand will continue to suffer.

The simple fact is, just because your program works well, if you've run your brand into the ground, your software no longer matters due to the perception of your company.

Nothing is black and white, especially when it comes to the human mind.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to Goggalor
said by Goggalor:

said by Ghastlyone:

yea the term skin isn't completely correct, "it's nearly identical to steam, just covered in a layer of smarminess that is near impossible to ignore."

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by BKayrac:

My issues with Steam were all fixed fairly quickly - though I had few issues with Steam to start with.
--
Brian