join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to BKayrac

MVM

to BKayrac

Re: Origin sucks....

said by BKayrac:

said by Ghastlyone:

I guess you guys have pretty short memories here.

Steam doesn't exactly have an impeccable record either when it comes people having technical issues and dislikes.

I clearly remember most PC gamers absolutely hating Steam when it released and for awhile afterwards.

By the way, you still didn't mention anything that's wrong with Origin, or anything holding you back from enjoying your games. Other than EA having a "bad rap"

The above is true, however do you notice how steam's brand has improved and is basically the de-facto standard?

Your brand can be improved by making good business decisions, and steam is a great example of this.

EA again is an awful example of this, and continuing to run their brand into the ground. For instance, instead of giving customers what they want for their games(Usable on steam), they instead forced another program onto their computer(Origin) if anyone wanted to play their games. This again, is a great example of them running their brand into the ground.

Personally I don't use Origin, when I did use it for BF3(the last title I purchased, and one of the few I've ever purchased from EA), I found the game got boring quick, and stopped playing, Origin has not been on my PC since I formatted it.

However why would I need to give examples of why origin technically speaking is bad? I am simply explaining to you why people react as they do to origin as you don't seem to grasp the concept of why people hate origin.

Things can be forgotten from companies, sometimes through silence on the companies end, sometimes through fixing issues, sometimes through beginning to give customers what they want. All of those things steam did, and did well. None of those things EA did, and in fact they did many of the opposite things. So EA's brand will continue to suffer.

The simple fact is, just because your program works well, if you've run your brand into the ground, your software no longer matters due to the perception of your company.

Nothing is black and white, especially when it comes to the human mind.

There are other brands out there that continue to be successful without Steam. Such as Blizzard, who has their own deployment and purchasing site. Millions purchase Blizzard games. I don't fault a company for making its own portal. You know Steam takes a cut of the sales, and I can see why some companies are going to their own deployment method.

Steam took a couple years to get everything ironed out. Gamers were not patient at the beginning, but Steam did listen to its customers. Origin is doing the same thing. The biggest thing is that it takes time to get there.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Seems to me saving/recognizing the password would be extremely important - as an IT guy...

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by CylonRed:

Seems to me saving/recognizing the password would be extremely important - as an IT guy...

Saving, no.

Recognizing, yes.