Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to guppy_fish

Mod

to guppy_fish

Re: Images in Firefox not displaying?

Your screenshot is very specific: it is showing only a broken thumbnail on the home page, which means you're not sending the Referrer header, so for example posts with big images in them also will not show. Yes, I changed this three days ago because I find search engines leeching out images despite robots.txt blocking them.

you should figure out why your browser is not providing the referrer header.

BTW if I could kill adblock and ghostery I would the first is disrespectful to sites that offer free content in return for showing adverts. The second is just tin foil hat stuff.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Thank you for confirming its your changes ...

All the add-ons are disabled, so its something stock in firefox, unless its something in the privacy settings and cookies

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

it isn't my changes, they are neutral to regular browsers otherwise this topic would be flooded with people with the same issue.

Something else on your end is stripping stuff from your browser requests, that would have broken other sites as well perhaps you never noticed. For example wordpress will not deal if you disable referrer.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Malta

n1zuk

Premium Member

Well, I'll add one more user seeing the same issue.

FF 23.0.1, very little for add ons.

network.http.sendrefererheader was set to 1. Been trying both 0 and 1, clearing cache and closing/relaunching Firefox, but still no joy. Nothing changes.

Broke about 2 days ago (Tuesday AM, NY time). not seeing a problem on any other website, and dslreports works OK with IE (though I never use IE, so wouldn't know a change if there was one).

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

I'm using firefox 23.0.1 and it works fine of course.

Here is an example link to an image that will break with no Referer line.

»/r0/do ··· GoGo.PNG

From Firefox 23 go to Inspector (right button on the page Inspector)
then go to Network tab.
Look for the request to load this image when you click the link.

Do you see the Referer line? you must see it there, otherwise the link will not load and will instead give you a redirect.

If you see it, then the referer line is getting stripped out further onward from firefox.
ankh3
Premium Member
join:2001-09-08
Albany, CA

ankh3 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
> if I could kill adblock and ghostery I would

Is there more about this somewhere you can point to? The "Security" advice page recommends adblock.

I realize you get paid to show ads. I know the advertisers aren't trying to reach me because any time something gets pushed into my attention by an unwanted ad, I vow never to buy that thing, so advertising pushed at me is counterproductive for the advertisers.

Nevertheless they pay you to do it, okay.

How much would I pay you per year to make up for what you lose by not showing me ads? I might be happy to do that.

I doubt I spent much more than an hour a year, averaged out over the past decade, looking at DSLR -- I use it when I need it and have points banked on account.

What more can I give you to make you not so unhappy about my blocking ads?
Seriously. Explain how it works for your finances and what I can do to help.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine

Premium Member

said by ankh3:

> if I could kill adblock and ghostery I would

Is there more about this somewhere you can point to? The "Security" advice page recommends adblock.

I realize you get paid to show ads. I know the advertisers aren't trying to reach me because any time something gets pushed into my attention by an unwanted ad, I vow never to buy that thing, so advertising pushed at me is counterproductive for the advertisers.

Nevertheless they pay you to do it, okay.

How much would I pay you per year to make up for what you lose by not showing me ads? I might be happy to do that.

I doubt I spent much more than an hour a year, averaged out over the past decade, looking at DSLR -- I use it when I need it and have points banked on account.

What more can I give you to make you not so unhappy about my blocking ads?
Seriously. Explain how it works for your finances and what I can do to help.

please see: »Site FAQ »BASIC AND PREMIUM ACCOUNTS