All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Reno_William
join:2007-07-18
Peterborough, ON

Reno_William

[INTERNET] Is Cogeco going to lower my service cost??

Just wondering if Cogeco is going to compensate me as they are not increasing me to 10 meg upload, as they are in other areas. I pay for the 60 meg connect. Is it really difficult for them to bond more upstream channels, to give me the increased speed. I spoke to a technician that was out to my house to fix equipment damaged in a storm and he informed me that my area has been ready for 6 months to allow bonding more upstream channels. It seems to me like their not increasing this area, purely as some kind of business decision.

In any event, I am very frustrated, especially since I shoot video and upload regularly to Vimeo and Youtube.
Expand your moderator at work
Reno_William

Reno_William

Re: [INTERNET] Is Cogeco going to lower my service cost??

That upgrade was not equally distributed, as I stated. I pay the same for this tier as others who received 2 1/2 times more of a free upgrade.

HaRdLy007
join:1999-08-31
Peterborough, ON

HaRdLy007 to Reno_William

to Reno_William
Where are you getting your information that Cogeco isn't increasing upload in Peterborough? Source?
Reno_William
Peterborough, ON

Reno_William

One of the cogeco reps on this forum, I forget which one at the moment. Are you getting 10 meg upload??

HaRdLy007
join:1999-08-31
Peterborough, ON

HaRdLy007 to Reno_William

to Reno_William
I am no longer a direct Cogeco customer, but my 3rd party ISP has told me that I will be receiving the increase from 2 to 10 meg upload.

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

WiFi to Reno_William

to Reno_William
Did you recycle your modem?
Reno_William
Peterborough, ON

Reno_William

numerous times
MrPink
join:2003-08-15
Peterborough, ON

MrPink to Reno_William

to Reno_William
said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by MrPink:

Peterborough West End / Kawartha Hieghts

Peterborough currently isn't part of this roll-out of 10 megabit service. If I hear anything, I'll let you know!

said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by Reno_William:

any idea when Peterborough is slated for increase

I haven't heard anything yet, sorry!

Although unlike you I am not a heavy uploader, I will admit that I am a bit miffed that I am paying the same price as others for a lesser service. Your question is valid although I'm sure Cogeco will have some legalize stating we are not eligible for any such reduction in premiums.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Reno_William

to Reno_William
All the more reason to leave an inferior overpriced product.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to MrPink

Premium Member

to MrPink
said by MrPink:

said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by MrPink:

Peterborough West End / Kawartha Hieghts

Peterborough currently isn't part of this roll-out of 10 megabit service. If I hear anything, I'll let you know!

said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by Reno_William:

any idea when Peterborough is slated for increase

I haven't heard anything yet, sorry!

Although unlike you I am not a heavy uploader, I will admit that I am a bit miffed that I am paying the same price as others for a lesser service. Your question is valid although I'm sure Cogeco will have some legalize stating we are not eligible for any such reduction in premiums.

Or, maybe the ones who get a upload increase may get a price increase soon. Then again, maybe we all get a price increase and those with the higher upload get a higher price increase than the rest of us. Just another way of looking at it.
MrPink
Peterborough, ON

MrPink

That's just sinister lol.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Reno_William

to Reno_William
said by Reno_William:

That upgrade was not equally distributed, as I stated. I pay the same for this tier as others who received 2 1/2 times more of a free upgrade.

"Only in regions where technology permits"

Would you tell them to not increase speeds in any region until they're all capable of the upgrade?
Reno_William
Peterborough, ON

Reno_William to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning

If you read all my posts, you'll see that a cogeco technician that came to my house,told me that my area has been ready for six months technology wise, to upgrade.

bbuchanan
Premium Member
join:2004-02-05
Peterborough, ON

bbuchanan to Reno_William

Premium Member

to Reno_William

They're probably waiting for all of Peterborough to have the required work done before offering it city wide.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by bbuchanan:

They're probably waiting for all of Peterborough to have the required work done before offering it city wide.

They're probably waiting for Rice Lake to be weed-free.

Mike
MrPink
Peterborough, ON

MrPink

so, like never then?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
I don't know why everyone picks on Rice Lake? Oh, that's right, the Americans hang out there.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

I don't know why everyone picks on Rice Lake? Oh, that's right, the Americans hang out there.

They're not Americans. They're from Ohio.

Mike

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to Reno_William

Anon

to Reno_William
said by Reno_William:

Just wondering if Cogeco is going to compensate me as they are not increasing me to 10 meg upload, as they are in other areas. I pay for the 60 meg connect. Is it really difficult for them to bond more upstream channels, to give me the increased speed. I spoke to a technician that was out to my house to fix equipment damaged in a storm and he informed me that my area has been ready for 6 months to allow bonding more upstream channels. It seems to me like their not increasing this area, purely as some kind of business decision.

In any event, I am very frustrated, especially since I shoot video and upload regularly to Vimeo and Youtube.

They will not because they are not charging for the new uploads.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to Reno_William

to Reno_William
Why should Cogeco charge less simply because you won't get the upgrade as soon as some other areas?

As the poster of be pointed out, perhaps Cogeco should make it a paid add-on, would that make you more accepting of the delayed upgrade for your node?
MrPink
Peterborough, ON

MrPink

said by TypeS:

Why should Cogeco charge less simply because you won't get the upgrade as soon as some other areas?

Peterborough is not scheduled for the upgrade, therefore we are paying the same for less.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Exactly!

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to MrPink

to MrPink
You're not paying for less, you just were not upgraded.

Again, by your logic Cogeco should just charge more for 10Mbps upload instead of upgrading for free.

You need to realize residential internet services are never guaranteed agreements.

And this no different than the state of DSL where you pay for 25/10 but sometimes you can only get 3~7 on the upload.

So no, you are not paying for less, you are paying what you have always had at the current level and what is available in your geographical region.
MrPink
Peterborough, ON

MrPink

I am paying for less service than others on the same plan. Cogeco has upgraded large portions of their customer base. (how large we're not sure as it seems hap hazard. Even the Cogeco reps are not aware of what geographical areas have been upgraded.) Why Peterborough has been excluded from this upgrade has not been explained.

If Cogeco had chosen to charge additional monies for an optional upgrade then my point would be moot.

I do realize residential agreements are not guaranteed but I also realize the fairness in charging customers the same rate for the same service (as Cogeco has already established with one set of rates for all Ontario customers).

Your point regarding dsl is no different than with cable internet service. For Cogeco customers complaining that they are not receiving advertised speeds the Cogeco reps consistently offer assistance, they do not quote that "speeds are not guaranteed" and as such are SOL.

This upgrade in service seems to be wide spread an as such would seem to be the new standard for the residential package. Therefore I (and other Peterborough) residents are currently paying the same as other Cogeco customers for a lesser service.
justmark03
join:2013-09-21

justmark03 to Reno_William

to Reno_William

So i live in Peterborough, on Lansdowne

and this is the speed i am gettting

TypeS
London, ON

TypeS to MrPink

to MrPink
You can word it like that if you want but you're paying the same amount for the same service you have all along. Cogeco isn't obligated to upgrade all arenas in any certain time frame. There are still areas that are D2 only and get 14Mbps instead of 20 on Turbo 20.

But continue the sense of entitlement, free country and all.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to Reno_William

to Reno_William
said by Reno_William:

The technician you talked to might not know the entire picture. There are ALOT of nodes that are DOCSIS 3 capable on the downstream with 4 channel bonding BUT have not upgraded the upstream to 3/4 channel bonding.

Simply put, just because you're in a D3 node for downstream, doesn't guarantee they have enabled bonding for the upstream. Seeing as they advertise UP TO where technology permits. You are at their mercy.