Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dmaineminent

join:2013-08-23
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to medbuyer

Re: [Connectivity] Losing connection multiple times a day

I meant it isn't feasible because the problem could disappear for a week again, and I could mistake that for it being solved. It's hard to pinpoint something that could easily not show itself for days at a time. I'll see what I can do.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by Dmaineminent:

I meant it isn't feasible because the problem could disappear for a week again, and I could mistake that for it being solved. It's hard to pinpoint something that could easily not show itself for days at a time. I'll see what I can do.

This goes along with the notes that I made, about the problem being with router itself if too much network traffic was hitting it at one time.

For example, lets say you have a household with 5 people (2 adults, and 3 kids). Each person has their own desktop computer, as well as a smartphone, and each kid has their own gaming system. That would be 5 desktops, 5 smartphones, and 3 gaming systems, for a total of 13 systems. Kind of extreme, but lets say for the 3 kids, they are all running file share applications like Limewire at the same time on each of their desktops. The two adults stream netflix movies 8 hours each day on both of their systems. Not to mention, the kids are using their own gaming system (for sake of argument, they all have an xbox 360 and are all playing Call of Duty Black Ops at the same time in a network game). Not to mention, all 5 smartphones are running and everyone is using them to post to facebook, update their status to Twitter, and so on.

Your router in that case may not be able to handle all that traffic at once, so it locks up.

You then go down to a single desktop, and test that for a week. The results of that test? No issues, no router lockups, no disconnects from the internet. So, you think its the router, and you go buy another one. You plug everything back in, and in a short amount of time, you have the same problem again. The problem was not resolved, as it may be the fact that you are trying to push to much traffic through the device.

Depending on what all is going on with your network at the same time, you may need to invest in a more robust router (business class comes to mind), or as I suggested build you own.

Again, this is just a suggestion, as I don't know your own network usage. But, it may be something you want to look into, and it could be the reason why a single desktop test may not find the proper problem.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Dmaineminent
said by Dmaineminent:

so which means the router is bad then....period...because if you drop a connection from the modem level not even a day or two with a direct connection then that tells you IT IS your modem...

and you sure that the coax line coming into your house isn't shared between your DirecTV and Comcast right? each has their own runs..

bottomline is, try a direct connection to your modem. if connection is stable for 3-5 days, go try a different router and see...