how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sheva007

@rogers.com

[DSL] Question about DSL Internet

Hello everyone.

Somewhere between January and February 2014, my contract with Rogers will finally end, but I'm planning to get DSL internet either from Bell... or TekSavvy now (especially looking at the prices... amazing prices)

With Rogers, online gaming is impossible with their internet. When I play FIFA (soccer) my players can't turn, feel like they're running in mud, can't control the ball at all, players sprint slower, button lag (input delay)... or when it comes to COD, sometimes bullets don't register... I just always feel like I'm a second behind when playing on Rogers. Basically their "Internet service" (if you even want to call it "internet") is just terrible, and puts me in a huge disadvantage when I play video games online... it's not fun to play when you're lagging terribly.

Now, just out of curiosity, is TekSaavy using Bell Fibe lines for DSL internet?

And if that's the case, would the performance for the internet be the same (between TekSaavy's DSL and Bell Fibe?)

I play video games (only online and I NEED a good/fast/stable connection for online gaming)... and when it comes to online gaming, having a good connection is the most important thing... and probably even more important than skill.

Please let me know.

sheva007

@rogers.com

I forgot to mention, does TekSaavy include an activation + installation fee?

WirelessPlz

join:2004-08-11
canada
reply to sheva007

I'v had Bell for about 5 years, and recently switched to Teksavvy in Spring of this year. The latency has always been consistently low. On favorable servers, you can hit mid 20's to mid 30's. I'm a casual WoW player, and I get 25ms to my realm. I also play the NHL series on the PS3, and it's always been fine. Unfortunately, you can't see your latency on there. EA isn't exactly known to offer quality servers though, so some people have spotty latency.

The performance would be the same. Teksavvy uses Bell's infrastructure to offer DSL to your home.

When I ordered Teksavvy, I ordered the VoIP as well, so the start up fee would be different than if you would order only the Internet. Startup, from experience, is usually around 50$.

sheva007

@rogers.com

thanks for replying.

you say you play the nhl series, do you play versus or do you play clubs (or both)? When you control your team, do they feel agile, fast, easy to turn, etc?

When you have a good connection, players should feel fast and good to control with...

If you don't mind, could you please upload a ping/speed test? I'm just curious what kind of latency (ping) to expect if I get Bell or TekSaavy DSL.

sheva007

@rogers.com

One more thing, this is a very important question.... Teksaavy's DSL = VDSL or VDSL2 right? Is it possible to have VDSL on the FastPath profile?

Please let me know!

pc8888

join:2011-05-31
estonia

said by Anon80:

One more thing, this is a very important question.... Teksaavy's DSL = VDSL or VDSL2 right? Is it possible to have VDSL on the FastPath profile?

Please let me know!

I am on TEK VDSL2 on fastPath

Line Status: In Service UpTime:
Line Profile Name: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011 Last State Change: 04/09 18:22:26
DLM State: DISABLED Equipment Type: VSM_ERAM
Operational Status Speed (Kbs) Relative Capacity Occupation (%) Noise Margin (0..31 dB) Signal Power (0..20 dBm) Attenuation (0..60 dB) Block count
UpStream 11328.0 49.0 21.3 0.6 18.0 238456740.0
DownStream 26932.0 37.0 27.0 14.5 11.9 278486378.0

sheva007

@rogers.com

Thank you so much for replying.

I have no clue what I just read... sorry, I'm not really good when it comes to this sorta stuff. Doesn't seem to mention Fast Path or Interleaving though.

sheva007

@rogers.com
reply to pc8888

One more thing, did you have to ask TekSaavy specifically for your DSL to be set on Fast Path?

WirelessPlz

canada
reply to sheva007

I'm on the modest 6mb profile.

As far as NHL goes, I'v played both VS and OTP/Clubs. VS has always worked well. OTP varies, because you have a player host, so it depends how far that player is from you, and how his connection is. But you can see that Bell/Teksavvy allows you to have sub 50ms pings(with no jitters, so no jumpy latency) from all the major north eastern hubs, so if you somehow have issues playing FIFA, then it's most likely EA or the player host being the culprit.

pc8888

estonia
reply to sheva007

said by Anon80:

One more thing, did you have to ask TekSaavy specifically for your DSL to be set on Fast Path?

I am on FastPath since day one. I didn't ask for it.

The Line Profile Name indicated I am on fastpath. Interleave will have a different profile name.

sheva007

@rogers.com

lol

oh and btw, I forgot to mention, every game lags and NHL is even worst than FIFA. When I'm playing NHL, my players literally... and I mean literally can't turn AT ALL. I feel like I'm playing hockey in space... it just feels so slow and weird.

Thanks for replying.

---
@ pc8888 - Again, thanks for replying.. I don't mean to bother/annoy you, but how did you know it was Fast Path instead of Interleaved? And if I decide to get TekSaavy's 25/10 plan, then how would I know it's on Fast Path?

And if you don't and have the time, could you please post a speed test pic and ping test picture? I would truly appreciate it...

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to sheva007

WirelessPlz

canada
reply to sheva007

Try those tests against tonight, at peak times, see what kind of results you get. Cable is a shared infrastructure, so maybe things get bottlenecked during the night.

And what mode did you try NHL ? EASHL will always feels sluggish when you're just starting, as your player has no stats.

edit. Interleave is only really used to enhance performance on a line that would otherwise be error prone on Fast Path. For example, if you're far from the CO and you have a very noisy line.

sheva007

@rogers.com

@ Cartel -

@ wirelessplz - even with a legend card 3, my player always feels like crap... same thing in versus. It applies to all games. (COD, fifa, nhl, etc.)

And to be honest, the internet, if anything, gets better around night time... day time is when it's absolutely brutal... but even at night, it's still bad. I'll do the tests again later on tonight.

sheva07

join:2013-09-08
reply to WirelessPlz

Forgot I can't edit posts as a guest... so it's possible to get "Fast Path" with a VDSL2 connection?

A lot of people from the US were complaining that their ISP wouldn't switch from interleaved to fast path.

WirelessPlz

canada
reply to sheva007

That's really bizarre. There's no reason why games should be so laggy with the kind of test results you're getting. There's always theories on port forwarding, but I doubt every single game would be problematic if it were a port forward issue.

Are you playing all these games on consoles ? Do you have a wired or wireless Internet ? I know the wireless on my PS3 can give me pretty sporadic latency. I've moved to wired a long time ago.

sheva07

join:2013-09-08

Always wired, and every game is laggy (button lag/input delay, sluggishness) etc.

I've given up on Rogers... especially with a bandwidth cap of 150 gb. :/

pc8888

estonia

1 edit
reply to sheva007

said by Anon80:

---
@ pc8888 - Again, thanks for replying.. I don't mean to bother/annoy you, but how did you know it was Fast Path instead of Interleaved? And if I decide to get TekSaavy's 25/10 plan, then how would I know it's on Fast Path?

And if you don't and have the time, could you please post a speed test pic and ping test picture? I would truly appreciate it...

Some experts on here told me it is fastpath and my ping time is less that 10ms.

my speed test here
»Re: [DSL] DSL 25 Install Tech visit

if you have a concern about fastpath, try posting your concern in direct forum and get the official answer.

WirelessPlz

canada

Interleaved adds pretty significant latency on your first hop, so you can find out pretty fast if you're on it or not. If you ping anywhere under 50ms, you're on fast path.