Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Stop Mozilla browsers from forcing google SSL search?

As of yesterday, both Fx 17.0.8 ESR and SeaMonkey 2.20 can't do non "ssl" search at Google when typing "google.com" in the address bar. It's deceptive looking at first, because I am taken to NON ssl google.com page. BUT after I type in my search term and hit enter the URL changes to a secure one and I see a TON of ads where I ordinarily see NONE because the Proxomitron filters google searches but not "ssl" ones.

I thought this was Google forcing SSL searches but then I found that Opera 12.15 is unaffected and does regular Google search when typing google.com in the Opera address bar. Then I tried IE10 and it did the same thing Fx and SeaMonkey are doing - taking me to a non ssl google page to enter my search term but IE changes to "ssl" to return the results. However, it was pretty easy to get IE to do a normal non "ssl" search.

It is almost impossible now in SeaMonkey to get it to return normal non ssl results when doing a search but you can force it but it is HARD to do. With Fx, it is impossible now to do a regular Google search from Google website (at least on Fx 17.0.8 ESR).

I don't want to see six zillion ads because Google or Mozilla is forcing "ssl" search results at Google. IS THERE A WAY TO STOP THIS BEHAVIOR?

Google has an article on how schools can opt out of "ssl" searches but nothing for individuals. Plus, I have NO Google account and will never have one and I imagine if there is a way for individuals to opt out that it would require one having a Google account. Google also states that "ssl" searches are NOT secure! So, why force them other than to force ads on people like myself because Proxo doesn't filter ssl.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Get an extension that blocks images or flash on the fly. I haven't seen any ads on any search engine, but I do use Startpage and Duck exclusively.

There are some for FX that act like the one that Opera had. You can change per site from a menu bar.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:16

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Point www.google.com and google.com to 216.239.32.20 in your hosts file. That is for nosslsearch.google.com

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Mele20
Stop using Google? I use Startpage, which searches google anonymously for me. When used with Adblock Plus (with "allow some acceptable ads" unchecked), it strips out advertising nicely.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Mele20
Thank you for your suggestions but what I want is a way to stop Google from forcing ssl search. I know now that it is NOT a Mozilla problem. Opera was unaffected but it is affected now. In fact, Opera 12.15 cannot be used for a Google search now as after I type "google.com" in the address bar, Google immediately forces the SSL site and Opera crashes instantly with an exception error. I sent a crash report to Opera.

I need the ordinary Google search as I do NOT want to add SSL handling to the Proxomitron. I am scared of it and don't want Proxo filtering my banking sites so I want the regular Google search on all browsers. I've tried all the other search engines and none can, unfortunately, hold even a small candle to Google search.

Using "http://216.239.32.20" gets some Proxo filtering (like ads) but I am only getting 11 search results per page. I should get 100. Plus, I get an irritating banner across the top telling me to make Google my default search. There should be a toggle switch for the left side stuff and I don't have it but I also don't have that stuff which is fine with me. I hated that toolbar or whatever it is called.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
said by Mele20:

Using "http://216.239.32.20" gets some Proxo filtering (like ads) but...

Did you actually try changing your hosts file entries? It'll act different than just using the IP in your browser, especially with search bars and other preconfigured search options.

What the NoSSL for Schools does is similar but it changes some local controlled DNS entries to alias "google.com" and "www.google.com" to "nosslsearch.com". nosslsearch.com currently resolves to 216.239.32.20. Changing DNS configs are more future proof, but you can't do that. The next best thing for you is to change host file entries... unless you were running a router with DNSmasq like Tomato or DD-WRT has.
--
Start with what you can do, solutions will follow...

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I don't know how to change that in HostsMan so I just tried using the url in the address bar.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

2 recommendations

Click for full size
Click for full size
Open Tools, Hostsman Editor.

Add Google.com and 216.239.32.20 IP

Save.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to Mele20
i didn't like having the google-"https" connections either..

using drdrew's tip, to use the HOSTS file to point to "216.239.32.20", worked for me..

216.239.32.20 google.com
216.239.32.20 www.google.com

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew
Click for full size
That was simple. I just went blank for some reason as I have only added 127.0.0.1 which is there by default for any entries I make. Thanks!

After I added them, I tried Google and got a very weirdly displayed search. I had the Proxo alternative Google search display checked and for some reason it works weird using the non ssl page. But I don't care that much for the alternative display so I unchecked it in Proxo web filters and tried again and got EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! No ads, no left side toolbar and 100 results per page displayed as I prefer. And no banner across the top nagging me to make Goggle my default search engine.

I suppose Google may change the address for the non-ssl search at some point so if it stops working, I'll know to resolve the non-ssl search address and use the new one. I appreciate your comment about changing DNS configs as more future proof which makes sense. That's a good reason for me to make sure when I do buy another router that I get one that can do third party firmware.
--