Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

3 recommendations

This seems like something SCOTUS would strike down quickly

While the idea of helping consumers sounds nice, and I even like the idea of forcing people like CBS and Disney to negotiate pricing one channel at a time, the bottom line is that the bill would remove the free market from the equation. The Government can't force one company to sell a product to another, nor can you force one company to buy a product from another. And you certainly can't let the Government set the price.

This is isn't a dispute that interrupts water supply, food supply, power, or any other essential service. No one NEEDS cable TV. You could make an argument that having internet service brings some economic or educational advantage to the end user, but neither is true for cable TV. It is a pure luxury.

If more American's would stop wasting their lives in front of the TV, the free market would put an end to this crap really quick. Don't want to give me the channels I want? Fine, I cancel service. End of story. Holding channels hostage currently works for both sides, but only because people think TV is too important to give up.

biochemistry
Premium
join:2003-05-09
Except the network and cable companies are already highly regulated by the government like pretty much every other business out there.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to Camelot One
I would argue that the "free market" when it comes to cable TV is already broken. If I want cable TV where I live, I have one choice: Time Warner Cable. In a free market, there would be competition for my cable TV dollars and the companies involved would need to offer me better service at lower prices to entice me. Instead, they offer me whatever they feel like offering and if I don't like it, too bad!
--
-Jason Levine

FLATLINE

join:2007-02-27
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

Your right if were talking about a perfect world but its not. In this case you almost have a responsibility to cancel and suffer as do most of us in order to get all this on the right track. Nothing good come without effort or sacrifice. So make a stand and sacrifice. Cancel!

In my area I do have a few options but switching isn't going to solve the problem anyways. Besides I'm not really looking to punish just the cable co. I'm looking to punish the whole industry which sorely deserves it.

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
We're on the cusp of cancelling. As it stands, Time Warner Cable gave us a pretty good deal when our last deal expired. They almost didn't and we almost cancelled until they buckled and gave us a deal. From what I've heard, they're doing away with these deals, though. If that's the case then, when our deal expires we'll be cutting cable. (As it is, we get most of our TV content from Netflix or Amazon VOD via a Roku box.)
--
-Jason Levine

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to Camelot One
I'm not sure where you get your ideas from, but the government can force a company to do pretty much whatever they want through regulations (which this will be). You dont think they can force (companies) to sell / buy from another, let me give you example one of their ability to force a market in Obamacare.

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT
reply to Camelot One
Remove the free market? Don't be silly, it's never been a free market. You have government granted monopoly content selling their content to local monopoly television providers. There is no free market in sight. Whats needed is some nice strong regulations to prevent abuse by these monopolies. Congress made a huge mistake allowing broadcast stations to demand money for carriage. You and every single American is paying about $10 more for your TV because of that and it bought you nothing. What it did buy is the CEO's of the major content providers and cable companies got a big bonus for bribing congress into extorting money from the american people through market price fixing.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to Jason Levine
You are free to obtain any provider that is wishing and willing to spend the money to build out to your home. Don't expect a company to build across the country just to reach one home. Overbuilding makes little sense and not many companies are willing to overbuild CaTV and Internet. RCN basically stopped overbuilding when they went bankrupt and it leaves WOW who is only expanding where it makes sense with their current foot print.

You also have DirecTV and Dish available to you.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to Skippy25
CableTV is different than Healthcare. And Affordable Healthcare Act does not require you to use one insurance company. It just tells the employers they must provide coverage or the gov't will. - which is the way it should be.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to rahvin112
How is it not a free market??? Because you only have one option for wired TV? You still have 2 other choices. Please explain...

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to TBBroadband
Regardless, the point was and still is that the government can craft laws and regulations to do anything that needs to be done. They can force line sharing, they can force investment, they can force them out of a territory all together.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Camelot One
said by Camelot One:

While the idea of helping consumers sounds nice, and I even like the idea of forcing people like CBS and Disney to negotiate pricing one channel at a time, the bottom line is that the bill would remove the free market from the equation.

If you think there is an actual "free market" then you are sorely mistaken.