how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Rogers Names a new CEO: not a cable guy!

Guy Laurence from Vodafone UK will be taking over in December.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
That's going to be fun to watch,somebody who has no idea how the business works in Canada.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
That can be a good thing.

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

That's going to be fun to watch,somebody who has no idea how the business works in Canada.

I'm sure he will be brought up to the standards fairly quickly...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

1 recommendation

reply to donoreo
No, because he'll listen to his vp's and/or advisers who are still part of the old "fuck the customer at any cost" mentality.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

No, because he'll listen to his vp's and/or advisers who are still part of the old "fuck the customer at any cost" mentality.

Or not listen to them and do his own thing. It will not be until next year before we really see anything.

OverrRyde

Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Or not listen to them and do his own thing. It will not be until next year before we really see anything.

You really, honestly believe that?

For years we have been taking it up the you-know-what, and you think that a new CEO who is not familiar with the business model in Canada, would simply be allowed to change things and not listen to the VP's/Board?

No chance in hell!

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to elwoodblues
People raised same questions when our guy was appointed in UK.
As Don said this can be good thing. At least in the beginning.

OverrRyde

Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by loosedobbs:

People raised same questions when our guy was appointed in UK.
As Don said this can be good thing. At least in the beginning.

Agreed! Change is always good, regardless! But we are talking of multi(billion?) dollar company that will take nothing less than more money to be satisfied.

French saying goes: "Plus ca change, plus c'est pareil"

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
"An automobile has about 10,000 moving parts, right? An airplane has two million, and it has to stay up in the air." (on being asked "How are you going to tackle something as complex and unfamiliar as the auto business when we are in such tough financial shape?")
Alan Mulally, 2007

I think a CEO who is not familiar with the Canadian market might just be a breath of fresh air.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to donoreo
John Tory wasn't a cable guy either.

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to Robrr
said by Robrr:

"An automobile has about 10,000 moving parts, right? An airplane has two million, and it has to stay up in the air." (on being asked "How are you going to tackle something as complex and unfamiliar as the auto business when we are in such tough financial shape?")
Alan Mulally, 2007

I think a CEO who is not familiar with the Canadian market might just be a breath of fresh air.

I wonder the reporter asking this question always remain a reporter and never become a CEO. A Councillor or MPP may be.

That reminds a line I heard yesterday on TVO. You have no Canada experience. As if Microsoft Windows (or other things) in other parts of the world works differently than in Canada.

Anyway we will see very soon if capable or not.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
They need a guy to run the company, I'm sure the HH they paid a small fortune to, said it was the right guy

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Well, shit sure went to hell under Nadir Mohammed...
--

loosedobbs

Toronto
reply to donoreo
If the guy fails get ready for new price increases.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Just means it'll take a little longer before the golf sessions rub off on him..

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

From the consumers perspective yes, however, in the business community he has dominated and become a case study in how to be a profitable Corporation. Even Ted himself couldn't generate as much.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
yeah, i meant from consumer perspective, naturally...
--

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

2 recommendations

reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

They don't have a dictionary?

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

LOL.. Oh man that's hilarious.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Wolfie00
Thats just nasty wolfie

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Wolfie00
Hahaha, that's priceless!!!
--

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to donoreo
That made me gag on my coffee. Just what I needed on a Friday morning

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Wolfie00
Post of the month! Well done, Wolfie00 See Profile!
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to donoreo
check this out.

I see some changes coming to Rogers

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4UklkbHLDI

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
He's talking about the workplace, it has nothing to do with the Rogers mindset of extracting the maximum revenue from customers and screwing them over at the same time.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to donoreo
They don't need a cable guy, because they're already well versed in screwing the cable consumer. New markets ahoy!
--
~ Project Hope ~

MyrddinEmrys

join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON
reply to donoreo
Think... Vodafone. This is Rogers step into the larger world of mobile, and what better action than retaining it someone like Laurence.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

He's talking about the workplace, it has nothing to do with the Rogers mindset of extracting the maximum revenue from customers and screwing them over at the same time.

He is also apparently big on all times of change. He is a guy that shakes things up a bit. Some people at Rogers are concerned.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

He is also apparently big on all times of change. He is a guy that shakes things up a bit. Some people at Rogers are concerned.

That still doesn't change the mindset, the front lines might be a little more flexible when it comes to dealing the consumer (which he apparently puts a high value on) but they have no power.

You have a board of directors and shareholders who are expecting you to increase profitably each and every quarter. There is no time for long term thinking any more, that's why you see companies like Dell that are now going private ,and the talks of BB doing the same thing. It gives them the time to fix the problems outside the spotlight of the "market".

Look how the "market" reacted to Apple's iphone 5C (basically the 5 in a plastic case)and lack of contract with China Telecom, they hammered the stock.

They don't care how innovative you are, they don't care how great the product is, its "SHOW ME THE MONEY" and that's why I think Guy Laurence won't do well. There is no time for "change".

Think what would happen if Ken Engleheart left, or some of the other senior VP's at Rogers(not to say that's a bad thing), that would affect stability, and the market would react quickly by dumping Rogers stock.

I'm going on a tirade here, but there is far to much control by a batch of guys sitting on a phone buying and selling stock(metaphorically speaking) for the profit on the spread. It needs to change or we're all doomed.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......