how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JReese

join:2003-09-15
Centre Hall, PA

[Embarq] Emails to embarqmail.com blocked for spam

Looking for some help with trying to figure out who is responsible here. I think it is Embarq but even if it is I don't know what to do about it.

I have a small consulting business and my domain/website/email is hosted with 1&1 Internet. My email account is the only email account on my domain and I really only send about 10 - 15 emails a month. The email account is not used and has never been used for marketing. A few weeks ago I was attempting to reply to a customer with an embarqmail.com email address and within 24 hours I got a bounce back messages stating the following.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its recipients after 25 hours.

The message has not yet been delivered to the following addresses:

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host smtp.embarq.synacor.com (208.47.184.2):
421 4.7.0 (C2) Too much spam.

No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up, and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

Now to make things more interesting; one of my customers is a local engineering firm and they also have a hosted domain/website/email from 1&1 (which I manage) and they are also having the same issue. Any email from their domain sent to the embarqmail.com domain is getting bounced back for "Too much spam".

I have contacted 1&1 support before for the engineering firm and 1&1 basically told me it is because of spam - more specifically the individual who was having the issues - more than 50% of their messages were being manually or automatically marked as spam. They advised a "cool down period" of not sending any email to the embarqmail.com for a few days to see if the domain would automatically get off any lists. I don't see how this is remotely possible - again because the email is only used for communicating with local clients and not marketing or anything. After arguing that point with 1&1 and a few months later they plead there are no issues on their side and recommend that I contact Embarq because the issue is on their end.

I have contacted 1&1 support about my package this morning to see what their response is this time and I haven't heard back from them as of yet.

According to MXToolBox the 1&1 mail servers aren't on any Blacklists and neither are either of the domains. From a few tidbits I am reading online it sounds like Embarq uses Spamhaus and checking the mail servers & domains straight through Spamhaus directly again shows no issues.

So if these mail servers & domains aren't on any blacklists what the heck is Embarq's mail servers looking at to block these domains from sending messages through? And better yet - what the heck am I supposed to do about it to resolve it?

Thanks for any information or recommendations.

GGrotyohann
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Kitty Hawk, NC

I had the same issue and found 1&1 to be all fault. When I called and asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told customers were not allowed to speak to supervisors. I immediately contacted GoDaddy and switched my account to them. Haven't had any issues since the change. FWIW, Synacor actually hosts CenturyLink & Embarq email.

Greg

JReese

Centre Hall, PA

So you don't know anything else about what the cause of the issue really was?

Phone calls to 1&1 are definitely frustrating but I think at this point email has been even less productive...

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
reply to JReese

What's your email signature like? If you have a bunch of links in it then it's possible those are causing the flag.

JReese

Centre Hall, PA
reply to JReese

I wouldn't think that would be the cause. For my signature it's just my name, cell phone and a single URL to my business website. For the engineering firm on the other hand the employees signatures vary (18 employees) but again there is really only one URL to the company website from all the signatures I can recall.

Here is a response I got back from 1&1:

quote:
We checked the specific bounce back you have attached and appears to be a temporary blockage. These temporary blacklisting are also called providers block, the block can last from 1 to 24 hours or more (it depends from the amount of messages classified as spam being sent from our mail shared system IPs and from the internal criteria used by the blocking company). Once the situation return to normal (always based on their criteria), the IP is automatically delisted with no action whatsoever from our side.

We would like to remind you that this is an automatic process and that we have very little influence on it. Please be aware that you have more than one IP available which means that, if one IP is blacklisted, the first thing to do would be to try again later. Usually it works: either you get the second US IP or the IP you used has already been delisted.
So they are saying this is probably a temporary "providers block" but it doesn't look like it to me - especially since this has been happening since February with the engineering firms emails and from my account for 2 weeks now.

rstrickland

join:2001-06-22
Clinton, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to JReese

As I was reading your post, and using some of my knowledge from being a former Embarq/CenturyLink Employee, seems like a specific mail servers IP address is being blocked. Basically 1and1 is hosting several different domain's email on one server with one IP address. So a domain or several on the same server your company is on is spamming Embarqmail addresses, and because it has happened from several domains with the same mail server IP address, CenturyLink has blocked that mail servers IP address. Problem is 1) 1and1 needs to specify a policy for their customers that send email from a domain they host, or stop them. 2) CenturyLink needs to remove that servers IP address from the master blacklist. I doubt CenturyLink will because it must have been a major problem coming from many different domain's at the same IP for them to blacklist it like that. It also could be an automated process where so many emails are coming from that IP address that the temporary block never releases because it never lets up sending (due to all the 1and1 customers) Here is a link to a similar problem, but it was a Comcast/Xfinity customer that could not get the emails coming from a 1and1 hosted domain.
»forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and···/1564005

JReese

Centre Hall, PA

From the reply I got from Embarq (by emailing talktous@centurylink.net) and the other research I have been doing the last few days I think you are dead on rstrickland.

All information shows it has nothing to do with my email addresses or domains they are on - it is the 1&1 mail servers. With the shared hosting packages someone has been involved in spamming and now other customers like myself are suffering the consequences. To make things worse one of my customers emailed me about bounce backs today and sure enough now the 1&1 mail servers are blacklisted on SORBS - and others. This just isn't getting any better.

»mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?act···toolpage
»mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?act···toolpage

I am definitely not getting anywhere with 1&1 support after multiple emails but I have to wonder - doesn't this happen to other hosting providers with shared hosting packages? I mean I would tend to think that they are all doing pretty much the same thing as far as shared hosting email so how is one hosting provider any different than another in this scenario? I guess the only thing it comes down to is the management of the email servers with the said hosting provider. If you are actively monitoring the mail servers and spam situations then maybe you don't have as many issues I guess.

This is just such a stupid issue caused by someone else that I am paying for - both with money and wasting time responding to customers complaints and trying to figure it all out.

JReese

Centre Hall, PA
reply to JReese

More confirmation back from Embarq. I hate to think about it but I think I am going to start looking for a new host.

said by Curt - CentryLink Broadband Support :

THE 1&1 USAGE IS GOING TO BE THE PROBLEM… WE ACTUALLY HAVE A BIG ISSUE WITH THEM. WHILE WE HAVE MADE MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS TO HAVE THEM FIX THEIR ISSUE OF INUNDATING US WITH SPAM FROM THEIR MULTIPLE DOMAINS, WE HAVE HAD NO SUCCESS IN REACHING THEM TO WORK ON THIS ISSUE. SO AT THIS POINT WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO REFER YOU TO YOUR PROVIDER TO SEE IF ENOUGH CUSTOMERS CONTACT THEM TO GET THEM TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

I'M SORRY, I'M SURE THIS ISN'T THE ANSWER YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, BUT THIS IS WHY YOU'RE HAVING THIS ISSUE.

GGrotyohann
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Kitty Hawk, NC

FWIW, since I switched to GoDaddy, I haven't had any problems sending email to CenturyLink/Embarqmail. It was easier to switch then fight with 1&1.