spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

craigm

@njlc.com

sipgate replacement

I have a google voice account set up with obihai and a sipgate line going with a pap2, if I'm on the phone with the google voice line and a I get another call, it rings the sipgate line and I can pick up with a 2 line phone and put the first call on hold, any providers I can use with a pap2 for free incoming line and no monthly fee.

craigm

fredzimm

join:2012-10-05
Nashville, TN

Take a look at Callcentric. I'm using them for a similar GV setup.

craigm1

@njlc.com

I setup callcentric seems like a longer delay then sipgate had but for backup it should be ok

taoman54

join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA
kudos:1
reply to craigm

I also had Sipgate. I went with a free Anveo account for SIP and a free ipkall account for a DID number. Works well and rings faster than my GV number. Here is an Anveo config page for a PAP-2T ATA:

»www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=linksys-pap-2t

taoman54

Seattle, WA
reply to fredzimm

I looked at Callcentric and it appears that if you use one of their free DID numbers you MUST pay for E911 service. Do you know if this is true? With Anveo you must pay for E911 service ONLY for outbound calling. Anveo still allows unlimited inbound calling without paying for E911 service. Will Callcentric allow that also?
I've also read about some latency issues with CC. Have you experienced any of that? Anveo has been lightening fast for me so far.

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04

If you are in the US, Callcentric's interpretation of the law indeed expects you to enable E911 (for a small fee) if you have a DID with them. However, this is not the case with an IP Freedom account. BTW, if you have no latency issues with IPKall and Anveo, I doubt you'll have issues with CC, but if you do, just paying for E911 is a pretty good deal for free NY DID. I've never heard of any latency issues with Callcentric and in fact, many folks expect there to be issues since currently their main servers are only on the East coast, but due to their direct connections to the PSTN world, the issues are greatly mitigated.

I'm pretty sensitive to latency myself and since I'm on the east coast and IPKall is on the west coast, I don't like using them for anything other than voice-mail or SPAM bait (Lenny has a DID there). CC indeed allows the same setup (you would use a SIP URI as 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com). Where Anveo, used in this fashion, only passes the call to your sip extension (which can also be done with other free SIP to SIP providers), CC allows filtering/processing of the call (I'm pretty certain). In fact, I think I've heard of folks successfully receiving faxes using this method.

taoman54

Seattle, WA

Interesting. So you're saying I could use a Callcentric IP Freedom account and not pay the E911 fee but still use my IPKall number and get Callcentric call filtering/processing to boot? Good to know. Right now this is more of a backup line for me (as it is for the OP) and Anveo is working great so far. But thanks for the info as you've now piqued my interest regarding Callcentric.

PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:4
Reviews:
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by taoman54:

Interesting. So you're saying I could use a Callcentric IP Freedom account....

Right. You may want to start one just to get familiar with all the options and the entire CC environment.

The free IP Freedom account comes with features, support, and voicemail. With that specific account no payment of any kind is involved. If desired you can always upgrade in the future.

As was said, if forwarding from IPKall the syntax is 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
reply to taoman54

said by PX Eliezer:

said by taoman54:

Interesting. So you're saying I could use a Callcentric IP Freedom account....

Right. You may want to start one just to get familiar with all the options and the entire CC environment.

The free IP Freedom account comes with features, support, and voicemail. With that specific account no payment of any kind is involved. If desired you can always upgrade in the future.

As was said, if forwarding from IPKall the syntax is 1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com

+1

Extensions (sub-accounts) are also included with the free IP Freedom plan, along with free outbound in-network (other CallCentric members) and SIPBroker calls. No funding needed.