spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TENNIS PRO

@verizon.net

Porting Magic Jack Plus custom phone number over to GV...

I want to port over my existing Magic Jack custom business number I have had for awhile now, but the QOS of MJ Plus has really taken a dive just recently worse than ever. Anyway, I want to port over my business number over to Google Voice. I am using ObiHai for the transport VOIP service, and so far it's been EXCELLENT - a 9.5. Please someone in know H-E-L-P me! Thank you!

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2
said by Anon80:

I want to port over my business number over to Google Voice. I am using ObiHai for the transport VOIP service, and so far it's been EXCELLENT - a 9.5. Please someone in know H-E-L-P me! Thank you!

Port your number into Google Voice FAQ.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to TENNIS PRO
I would assume that a MagicJack number is considered a landline, so you would first have to port it to a mobile provider, which could possibly be a pay-as-you-go provider using a cheap "throwaway" phone, etc., and only then can you port it to Google Voice. This has been discussed in the past on this forum so you might want to try searching for those previous threads.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to TENNIS PRO
A lot of people have used T-mobile as intermediary- one issue with GV porting is that they only accept numbers from the 'big four' or MVNO's using their network. Porting to TMO is easy( do not pay MJ's extortion fee!). However, porting to GV may go astray. Sometimes, GV will not port in certain numbers from TMO( or other cell providers), sometimes they simply will not complete the port without any reason. So it may happen to you that you will not be able to port.
Also, i do not know the nature of your business abut if it is something half way serious and profitable i would not rely on GV as a sole provider ( yes, they are far better than MJ but nothing can be worse than MJ so it does not belong much to it.). You may want to consider a serious SIP provider at least as a back up.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
reply to TENNIS PRO
I agree with the advice of cb14.

-----

Your business phone number is a valuable asset.

It doesn't matter much who you use for [outbound] calls....

But if something happens to your INBOUND calls (or your inbound number in general) then you are up the creek without a poodle.

With various good providers (CallCentric, Voip.MS, Anveo, others) you could have an inbound phone number for your business for just a few dollars a month.

On CallCentric for example, a phone number authorized for Business usage (as opposed to Residential), unlimited inbound minutes, 3 channels (3 calls at once), lots of features including CNAM and voicemail) would run $ 10.45 a month including fees.

Even the smallest business should be able to spend a few bucks a month for their [inbound] phone service.

Just my two cents FWIW.

TENNIS PRO

@verizon.net
reply to TENNIS PRO
I really do appreciate all of the sage advice from several members of this FORUM regarding my/the "porting over" - of my custom Magic Jack Plus office #. It sounds like it's entirely possible I could seemingly take what seems to be ALL the correct steps, and being left holding the proverbial bag with my MJ PLUS # not ultimately being ever ported over to Google Voice. Thank you very much again everyone who responded! 5's^^^^^

TENNIS PRO

@verizon.net
reply to TENNIS PRO
Hello FORUM: If anyone has successfully had their Magic Jack Plus number "ported over" to Google Voice, please let me know (what cell carrier did you use for the throwaway pre-paid cell phone) - who actually ported your Magic Jack number successfully over to Google Voice? One of the forum guys said, "there really isn't any 100% guarantee that Google Voice will port over the number from a cell phone carrier!" Thank you for your input...It would be nice to hear from a Magic Jack Plus VOIP to Google Voice customer who dumped Magic Joke/Junk for a much better quality (VOIP) service, and was able to keep their original MJ PLUS #...

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·localphone.com
·callwithus
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
It has been discussed on a number of forums. Yes, many people DID successfully port their MJ number to GV via intermediary and reported about their experience on diverse forums, but some people, incl. myself, did not and that's what I tried to say with my previous message. You will never know for sure till you try. Good luck.

rickbarnett

join:2005-09-24
Alexandria, VA
reply to TENNIS PRO
If the number does get ported away from MJ, they will attempt to EXTORT you, via email, for some official sounding fee, $30 I believe. DO NOT SUCCUMB to this extortionate request under ANY circumstances!!!!!