spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NOTORIOUS VR
join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON

NOTORIOUS VR

[Cable] Has anyone done tests with both a Teksavvy vs Rogers mod

As much as we all like to put a blame on Teksavvy or Rogers, I suppose the easiest way is to simply have both a Rogers provisioned modem and a Teksavvy provisioned modem and go to town with tests.

Anyone ever do this? I'm considering getting my friends modem from a few units down who are still with Rogers and then seeing what happens with my connection.

If I get the same slowdowns, if the same disconnects happen, etc, etc.

Heck if I need to for long term testing (for disconnects) I'll give them my modem and keep their Rogers modem for a few days.

Still curious though if anyone else has done this?

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

Re: [Cable] Has anyone done tests with both a Teksavvy vs Rogers

I had the chance to test a Rogers and a Teksavvy modem side by side, although they were provisioned for different speeds, 25/2 for Teksavvy and 35/3 for Rogers.
Here were my observations:
- I did one test right after the Commstock POI migration. Rogers was solid, Teksavvy had a lot of connection issues: variable speed, even loss of connectivity (the modem did not loose sync, but it was just not routing traffic)
- after 2-3 days (and ever since), the Teksavvy connection has become much more stable. Probably there was a transition time because of the migration and things settled after that
- Speedboost is available on the Rogers modem but it's not on the Teksavvy modem
NOTORIOUS VR
TORONTO, ON

NOTORIOUS VR

Great that's what I wanted to hear.

My reasoning for this test is because I keep having issues with my connection, ti's been getting worse and worse yet on my end nothing has changed. No cabling changes, no hardware changes, etc. Also my issues started well before the Greensboro POI was converted.

For me the problem either lies with the building cabling (doubt it) or Rogers or Teksavvy provisioned modems only. And this is going to be the only way for me to find out what is really going on.

If my issues only continue to happen on my Teksavvy provisioned modem I would hope that it would provide Teksavvy some proof that Rogers is just downright messing with Teksavvy's customers. If not, then I will have a large problem with Teksavvy and someone better explain themselves.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

if it's a DHCP issue you're having the issue is likely isolated with TSI. if it's a sync or connection issue then it would affect both likely (unless it's a modem issue).
NOTORIOUS VR
TORONTO, ON

NOTORIOUS VR

How do I know if it's a DHCP issue? The modem logs are truncated and useless.

I've had the same IP for well over a year now.