I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73

Re: Microsoft security bulletin for September 10 2013

In the meantime, users who want to temporarily fix the problems are recommended to uninstall the faulty updates and then hide them from the Windows Update section of the built-in Control Panel.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

I'm just happy it's not just me. Still, you wouldn't think it would be that hard for MS to figure it out.

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

winchester73 to siljaline

to siljaline
siljaline ... yeah, but what's the fun in that?

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

I'm just happy it's not just me. Still, you wouldn't think it would be that hard for MS to figure it out.

It's clearly a Quality Assurance Issue that MS has to push. Three botched updates in one go in totally unacceptable.
siljaline

siljaline to winchester73

Premium Member

to winchester73
said by winchester73:

siljaline ... yeah, but what's the fun in that?

I don't hide updates until they are fixed either - if these were me, I would be livid

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
what? you don't think they read this forum? they do
Expand your moderator at work

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Microsoft security bulletin for September 10 2013

I found that the updates could not be uninstalled on my XP Pro system because Windows could not find them when I clicked on remove in the Add or Remove panel. However, the full update packages that I downloaded reported that they were installed. It is kind of a catch-22 situation for me until MS fixes this. I simply turned off automatic updates.

It might be worth looking at the folder for software downloads mentioned above. I may do that on my system later on. I hate to flush my history, but if MS doesn't put out a patch to fix this, that may be necessary.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Emptying C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ is completely safe to do. Windows Update will repopulate it automatically. Just navigate there in an explorer window, Ctrl+A, and Shift+Del. (Make sure you're in the right place though.)

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

said by sbconslt:

Emptying C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ is completely safe to do. Windows Update will repopulate it automatically. Just navigate there in an explorer window, Ctrl+A, and Shift+Del. (Make sure you're in the right place though.)

That last item, good idea

I think I will do that this weekend and see what happens. I was afraid it was also going to affect an X-ray system that is connected to the internet, but then I realized that system doesn't have any MS Office components installed.

BTW, I just checked a Win 7 Pro system here and the updates for MS Office are no longer being offered, so the message about that can be confirmed here.