spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fire101
@sbcglobal.net

fire101

Anon

Save $7/month???

Looking to save some money here. It looks like I have to keep my $6/month rented gateway per the contract with ATT Uverse. However, can I buy a VIP1200 off ebay, and save $7/month on the rental fee of the wired non-dvr receiver?

Or alternatively, can I buy a VIP1200 on ebay, cancel and send back my old VIP1200 (i.e. tell Uverse I am only using one television), and still connect the new/used VIP1200 on a second TV without Uverse somehow finding out?
fire101

fire101

Anon

Never mind - found my answer on another posting:

Using your own VIP1200 receiver

Apparently not. Oh well...

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If you can get AT&T to authorize it AND get a copy of the MediaRoom software install disc, there was an option to use an XBOX 360 as an IPTV STB -- there is no monthly rental fee to use the 360 as a STB. You do have to have the regular DVR still to use the 360

The 360 has to be fed with a wired connection -- Ethernet natively to the 360 Ethernet port, or to use HPNA/Coax you need an HPNA/Ethernet bridge adapter that then connects to the 360

The 360 as a STB option has not been sold for a couple years, but customers that had it installed still are able to use it, so it does still work, at least in theory

You also have to be an XBOX Live Gold Member to use the 360 as a STB, as well as U-Verse Internet AND IPTV

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick

I wish AT&T Uverse would have an app for the Xbox like the one that Time Warner Cable has.
The TWC TV app will allow users to access up to 300 TV channels, including AMC, BBC World News, Bravo, the Cartoon Network, CNN, Comedy Central and the Food Network, depending on their specific subscription. It also enables users to navigate through TV shows, music and movies using voice and gesture control through the Kinect peripheral.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to fire101

to fire101
No the ones on ebay are stolen, basically. Either the seller knowingly never returned them, or the property manager/landlord found it and thinks they can sell it.

Regardless they are stolen property of AT&T.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to gerick

Premium Member

to gerick
said by gerick:

I wish AT&T Uverse would have an app for the Xbox like the one that Time Warner Cable has.

The U-Verse app on the 360 makes the 360 a fully functional regular STB.

There was supposed to be a point, if I recall, around the launch of the current 360 dashboard GUI, that the U-Verse app was going to be downloadable and usable similar to how the FiOS, Xfinity, and now TWC apps are now, and therefore not require the MediaRoom software disc to install

Then somewhere around that time, the offering quit being sold, the install discs no longer were available to Installation Techs, and not much more has been heard about the 360 as U-Verse IPTV MediaRoom client

Don't know if XBOX One will have the option when it launches

I believe Microsoft has since sold MediaRoom to Ericsson -- so who knows if this will ever reappear on the XBOX
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

No the ones on ebay are stolen, basically. Either the seller knowingly never returned them, or the property manager/landlord found it and thinks they can sell it.

Regardless they are stolen property of AT&T.

Stolen may be harsh, as that implies intent.

Ignorance is possible, but not an excuse either

AT&T could put a sticker/engraving on the boxes stating "Property of AT&T: Return to UPS Store or call 800.288.2020 (or some other number) if found"

Heck, even doing installs for customers moving in, I have found non-returned Modems in house basements from previous residents -- U-Verse and also a lot of times have found old Comcast/Xfinity eMTA/modems and/or STBs, which are usually leased from Comcast (though I understand you can buy them from Comcast under certain circumstances).

If it is U-Verse equipment, I ask the new resident if they knew the previous resident and if so, tell them to give them the equipment so the previous resident can return it via the UPS store process. If they don't know the previous resident, I'll take it back to the garage and return it there

If it is Comcast equipment, I advise them that the equipment is there, and if they want to contact Comcast to return it, they can

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose

True, but attempting to sell it is depriving AT&T of their property regardless if the seller knowingly isn't returning it or found it moving in.

My only hope is that when the hardware is discovered later down the line that any lost fees charged are credited back. Especially now that AT&T is denying ANY service for ANY balance owed, POTS/DSL, U-Verse, Wireless.

There should be a bright lime green decal on the top or bottom stating:

PROPERTY OF AT&T
HARDWARE MUST BE RETURNED UPON TERMINATION OF SERVICES.

IF FOUND CALL 1-800-288-2020

FAILURE TO RETURN TO AT&T IS A CRIME

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Agreed on all counts, though I think I'd make the final verbage "Failure to return to AT&T is considered theft" -- make it a little more clear than the very open "crime"

And about the proper credit back, I hope so too -- that is why I check with the new customer if they know the previous resident -- the best way to make sure it credits back to the account properly is the UPS Store return process.

A tech returning it should still show the equipment having been physically returned to AT&T, but who knows if that inventory system is linked into the billing/accounts system

OSUGoose
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Don't know why returning to a AT&T store isn't a option.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

Don't know why returning to a AT&T store isn't a option.

Don't know either -- at least to Company owned ones. I could see why the franchise/"Authorized Retailer" stores might not want to...

I still get funny looks when I explain to customers that if/when they cancel/modify services, equipment is to be returned to the UPS Store and NOT the AT&T Store

Comcast has their walk in centers for bill payments and equipment issues/exchanges/returns
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

4 edits

Paralel to fire101

to fire101
You have to be very careful about using the words "crime" and "theft". Our judicial system operates on a presumptions of innocence. Using wording like what is suggested indicates a presumption of intent and/or guilt. If AT&T merely charges the person, then it isn't anything criminal. They now own the equipment since they were charged for it. You can't steal what you own.

AT&T is lucky they haven't gotten themselves into a sticky situation with charging people for unreturned equipment then charging other people a rental fee if they buy that equipment from the person that was charged. You can't charge a rental fee for something that you have already sold to someone because you no longer own the property to charge a rental fee upon. I think there is a strong chance they would lose if someone took this to court.