uniqs

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

[WIN7] Windows update stuck in update loop?

Running windows 7 pro.. with office 2007.. windows update site keeps giving me 3 updates for this product.. over and over.. anyone else having this problem?

Yukon
Have a Shot and Relax
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
Fallston, MD

Yukon

Premium Member

Yep.
Look here.
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2760411

Mike

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Rungel

MVM

to Rungel
Big thread here:
»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 36774249

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Well. somebody at MS is blowing smoke somewhere.
I have since 9/10 have three Win updates stuck in a loop.
KB2760588, 0583 & 0411

They have installed successfully 7 times on my Win7 laptop.
I wanted to uninstall but the KBxxxx are truncated so you can't tell one from the other despite trying every "view"
I called MS support, MS tech who obviously isn't from Redmond said this was a "difficult fix" suggested a remote support session.
I went for that, he "defaulted" everything, ran disc scan and uninstalled/ manually reinstalled.
2 hrs. later it still installs on every shutdown/bootup.
He said "not worry", "I'm protected" and he was going to talk to his "Boss".
Well WHOOPEE.
I now have to reset all tweaks he "defaulted". I now have a extended bootup & shutdown cycles.

I did catch my backup image (dated 9/9) before it gets overwritten as this started on the 10th for me.
I suggest every protect any Backup Images that precede this fiasco until the dust settles.

Thanks MS !

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

Rungel

Premium Member

I wonder if this is why my computer is running so slow now..

Thanks for the responses
Bill-

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

My laptop has an I7 and plenty of RAM. That constant install routine has to be eating CPU cycles.

I look at the two links posted above. No fix as of yet.
Ticks me off I let that MS "gentleman diddle remotely with my Comp.
As it developed he may have had less knowledge then me.

Do check your backup settings though.
Mine is set to include a fresh Image once per week. My last good one would have been over written on next scheduled backup run. Would have been in Deep Do Do if this is not resolved and a restore is needed.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Getting the same thing here.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Microsoft needs to pull the damn updates causing problems instead of explaining themselves on multiple bulletins, forums, Technet, etc.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
The Office team totally blew this round of patches. Heads need to roll over this, these updates should never have been allowed out.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

This is bad.. wish i had made updates to some outside HD.. my computer is agonizingly slow.. it was running fine before this so must be these updates..

I'm going to try a roll back
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to gwalk

Premium Member

to gwalk
There is only one instance to uninstall, and you can drag column separators (or use 'search') to see the entire names.

Control Panel -> Programs -> Installed Updates.

Drag on the separators between columns (this is standard Windows behaviour for column-oriented views).
dave

dave to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
said by Rungel:

This is bad.. wish i had made updates to some outside HD.. my computer is agonizingly slow.. it was running fine before this so must be these updates..

I doubt it. The only consequence I can see is that after installing them, they're offered for installation again at the next update check. You don't have to install them immediately, and I imagine you can just 'hide' them at that point.

If you don't want to hide them, set Windows Update to 'manual approval' mode and don't approve those particular installs.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

Well restore points didn't work..

joepwpb
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
West Palm Beach, FL

joepwpb to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
My solution, as found on other forums, was to hide KB2868116. Once I did that all of the updates to include the Office installed without any problem.

Joe P

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state
·Charter

Rungel

Premium Member

said by joepwpb:

My solution, as found on other forums, was to hide KB2868116. Once I did that all of the updates to include the Office installed without any problem.

Joe P

Thanks will try.. i'm also experiencing a faster computer.. could be my internet.. we had bad storms last night we kept our power.. but my isp
charter maybe running into problems.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

There is only one instance to uninstall

I just looked and I have several Kb2760411s on different dates starting on the 10th
Despite being hidden my the MS support tech they were offer up again this AM.

I didn't bother looking through a rather length list for multiples on the other two.
Have you heard of a fix yet. The MS tech acted like this was news to him.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Where are you looking?

If you look in Windows Update -> View Update History, you will see that you installed it several times.

If you look in Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates, I believe you'll see each update exactly once, since the concept of one update being present on your system multiple times does not make a lot of sense (you either have it or you don't). That's certainly how it was for me.

Once you're at this display, type kb2760 in the search box near the top, and this will filter the display to show only entries containing that string, which is sufficient for the 3 problematic updates.

The Control Panel list is where you uninstall from.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Click for full size
This is from Control Panel > Programs & Features > Uninstall.
Search filtered for KB2760.
Please note the multiple installation dates / locations for KB2760411 (and the other two)

Any thoughts ?

dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Ah, I see. You apparently have one instance of each update applied to each different Office product that you possess. I would guess that each of those four programs has its only copy of files that need to be modified by the update.

In my case, I only had 'Office Home and Student 2007'.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

I posted the same story and Image on the MS forum. (page 23 so far)

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 84637414

I details my experience with official MS support "Tech" and his Logmein attempt that les no where.
Someone may post a solution there, maybe. Not sure if the their is official MS coverage their or not.

So Pending

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
said by Rungel:

said by joepwpb:

Joe P

Thanks will try.. i'm also experiencing a faster computer.. could be my internet.. we had bad storms last night we kept our power.. but my isp
charter maybe running into problems.

I only had two that were causing problems. I had installed them both three times. Last night I hid them and turned off the computer. This morning when I rebooted they did not reappear.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Discussed here also:

»Microsoft security bulletin for September 10 2013

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Apparently fixed?

»Office updates fixed!

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to Rungel

Premium Member

to Rungel
Beginning around page 26 of the MS support page are reports of a fix.

»answers.microsoft.com/st ··· 9674ff4f

However at about 4:25 eastern the topic no longer seems to be available ?

I think I'll wait 24 hrs or so for the dust to clear.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Rungel

MVM

to Rungel
You don't even need to unhide them if you had done that. After hearing of this, I checked, and they didn't show up in 'restore hidden updates'. I forced a recheck, and everything came up clean.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to gwalk

Premium Member

to gwalk
The new versions are ok for me. I had previously removed those 3 updates; Windows Update offered new versions dated 'today', so I installed them, checked for any more updates, and... none.
butchie
join:2000-12-29
Jupiter, FL

butchie to Rungel

to Rungel
Repeated prompts for update have stopped. But when I view update history there are multiple entries for the updates in question. Is that a problem?

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
united state

Rungel

Premium Member

I guess i do have a few viruses or malware on my laptop.. that's what must have been slowing it down
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to butchie

Premium Member

to butchie
No. You *did* in fact install the same thing over and over, and the history shows that.

On the other hand, you only have each update installed once (once per place it needs to be, as per gwalk See Profile's situation): each reinstallation of the thing overwrites the previous installation of the thing.
butchie
join:2000-12-29
Jupiter, FL

butchie

Thanks............Butchie