Search similar:

uniqs

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Subway Canada..... No more sub of the day.

Promotion over.

This is a travesty!

I am too old to learn how to cook.

D'oh

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

They haven't been doing it in Ottawa for some time. I think I stopped going there around the same time

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
We get so ripped off up here it's not funny.

In the US every sub is 5 bucks.
They've started the $5 promo again, but it's crappy subs

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
I thought Capt. Submarine, did real submarine sandwitches that were four times bigger than anything from Subway. As well as several other submarine sandwitch shops.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Ian1

to Ian1
Haven't been in a Subway in years. Now if I'm in Hamilton I hit up Mike's Subs or Queens Subs.

Hero loaded, bottle of tums chaser.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

More or less the $5 subs are the subs that meats made of filler junk that just aren't healthy for you.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
So Today is not tuna day? What is it, this rumoured "Friday" I have heard about?
More importantly, is pec day still pec day, bro?
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
I've never been a fan of Subway. I prefer Mr. Sub.

RogueMonk
Premium Member
join:2003-02-11
Stoney Creek, ON

RogueMonk to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Subway is getting hammered by Pita Pit (and its clones).

Where I live, Pita Pit is lined out the door and Subway (right beside it) sits empty.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

I've never been a fan of Subway. I prefer Mr. Sub.

Same here. The bread is much better, and isn't paper thin like Subway.

Plus overall Subway owners cheat, making bread so thin and small its ridiculous... There's only one Subway that I occasionally go to that makes the bread full size, like on the pictures...

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to RogueMonk

to RogueMonk
said by RogueMonk:

Where I live, Pita Pit is lined out the door and Subway (right beside it) sits empty.

Yep real food vs. premade manufactured food. I love the Pita Pit near my place, I'll support it once a month on average.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Mr Sub. I dunno, just not loving like I did when I was a kid.
I used to make my way down to Dundas West near where the Crappy Tire is now, get myself a Roast Beef sub , slathered in mustard.. soo good...

Subway, they seem to have very little control, nor do they care about their franchisees. I had one Ahole who wanted me to charge me extra because i wanted too many olives.

I complained to Subway over this, never heard a word back

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama

Premium Member

We complained about the Subway near us. My husband went in and ordered 1 veggie foot long and 3 steak and cheese foot longs. The staff told him that if he was getting that many subs that he should call a head and order them. He was the only customer in there at the time and it didn't take long to make them. He couldn't understand what the problem would be about ordering 4 subs. 4 subs is a average family size, it's no different than making 1 sub for 4 people standing in line.

We were offered 2 free foot long subs, but when we went to the location the franchise owner would only allow two 6 inch classic only subs. Needless to say we have never been back. Also, they really skimped on the toppings to the point of being beyond ridiculous.

At a different Subway downtown, the staff short changed my husband $5. When my husband brought it to their attention, the staff said to him that he was hoping my husband wouldn't notice and that a lot of other people don't notice. The guy was also playing with his nipples to amuse another worker. A thing you just don't do in front of customers.

Somewhere in downtown Toronto we were at a Subway, my husband orders a coffee and is told they didn't have coffee because no one drinks coffee in the summer. My husband says to the staff, then why are there so many Starbucks around.

If Subway went out of business, I wouldn't miss it at all. After the 6 month program I was in at the hospital, I make all my own meals from scratch. We don't do take out often, really don't have the desire to.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Skimping on toppings is an understatement, i have to keep telling them to add more.

A lot of is the franchise, some are decent some suck ass bad.
I went into one at Victoria Park and St Clair, thinking the sub of the day was the dried meat called "steak'. When she made and rang up a larger amount, I realized it was the wrong day and left.

The woman came out and offered me the sub at the "sub of the day" price.

As for the guy who tried to charge me extra for olives, I walked out on that one and it cost him more then the few olives would have, since he had to throw it out.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
The price of entry into a Subway franchise is cheap, 15K, but it's not turnkey, so you need to find the property and buy the equipment.

On top of that, they charge a 12.5% royalty fee on sales. Which is HUGE, I don't see the margins being that big in the sub business. Cold cuts aren't cheap, and neither are the low grade veggies they offer.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Skimping on toppings is an understatement, i have to keep telling them to add more.

Always try to get an overweight sandwich maker. Every one they make they make like it's for themselves.

FaxCap
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Ian1

to Ian1
I find Subway's vary a lot between different stores. As I work in a downtown area I've discovered which ones to avoid and which ones to go to.

I also like Egg Salad Sandwiches/Subs, so the fact that Subway has them on their $5 list is pretty sweet.

I never cared for Mr. Sub, to me they never tasted right. I do like quizno's but they are a bit pricier.
yabos
join:2003-02-16
London, ON

yabos to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I had the chicken tariyaki in the states and yes it was cheaper, but the quality wasn't as good as here. The meat was different, and it overall wasn't as good.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
yea, the subway here got rid of the $5 deal LONG ago...although, they do have a "classic" menu where their most basic subs (Ham, Cold Cut Combo, etc) are something like $5.25 or $5.50, so if you just want something somewhat cheap and quick, it isn't too bad...the one near my work doesn't skimp on toppings (i always ask for extra tomatoes).

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
I got Subway coupons in the mail today.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to Ian1

Anon

to Ian1
Mr. Sub is a great place to pick up a case of diarrhea...

Subway is OK if I need to fill up for cheap and nothing better is any closer. The only other thing I like about them is the fact that they open at 7 AM here and serve a full menu at that hour if I want something more filling than an egg. Otherwise though, I buy maybe 4 subs a year from them.

Quizno's makes the best subs around my location though they've become really skimpy with ingredients and they've raised their prices to the point where I'd rather pick up a Chinese dinner for one if I want real value for my money rather than blow $10 on a lousy sub and a bag of chips.

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu

Once again Windsor bucks the trend it seems... Though we may have ONE place that still does decent subs (real subs) without being attached to one of these cheap pizzerias ran by the middle easterners.

All 4 Quizno's here died and went out of buisness within 6 months of opening they couldn't compete.

I find personally no real difference between Mr Sub and Subway. Though Mr. Sub is more expensive and there is maybe 2 or 3 of them remaining in the city (as opposed to 10 or more subways).

Out of the 3 or 4 around me Ive never found an issue with the quality or amounts in their subs.

Though anything less then the cheap ones you will pay for as usual.

Here is a secret though: These places you have to prep your own veggies and you as an employee are charged for your usage of them. Plus you may have sales quotas.

Thus that is why they will charge you extra for olives and whatnot. Plus there was that bread issue suit a while back about the buns. If you look in the grocers as well... Their 12 inch buns are still 8. You have to practically bake your own from dough (which costs money you may not have)

And some owners don't even care or bother because its some multimillionaire giving their incompetent kid a franchise to stay out of the real buisness. they can run it into the ground with no cost

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to RogueMonk

Premium Member

to RogueMonk
said by RogueMonk:

We just had a Pita Pit open in Fort Erie in the building that was the old Subway, which sits next door to the new one. For the first few days there was lines out onto the street but now there's an equal amount of traffic in both.

Our Subway here in town also doesn't cheat. I was surprised at how much bigger the bread was here than the few I've gone to in the GTA.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by elwoodblues:

The price of entry into a Subway franchise is cheap, 15K, but it's not turnkey, so you need to find the property and buy the equipment.

On top of that, they charge a 12.5% royalty fee on sales. Which is HUGE, I don't see the margins being that big in the sub business. Cold cuts aren't cheap, and neither are the low grade veggies they offer.

The woman (manager?) who "runs" the Pita Pit in Fort Erie made a big deal about putting both cheddar and feta on a pita, something I usually do at Stoney Creek. She went on to explain that she had to split the quantity of cheese to make it some exact amount and we charge extra for more cheese and yadda yadda. I'm like whatever, just put some of both on. I told the guys at the Stoney Creek store (the best one) about it and they're like, yeah we don't really bring it up, we just put on a bit of whatever cheese and don't really measure... the other stores hate us for it.

Welland also had a re-opening with new managers, should check it out.
Last Parade

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by RogueMonk:

We just had a Pita Pit open in Fort Erie in the building that was the old Subway, which sits next door to the new one. For the first few days there was lines out onto the street but now there's an equal amount of traffic in both.

Our Subway here in town also doesn't cheat. I was surprised at how much bigger the bread was here than the few I've gone to in the GTA.

Years ago, it was run by a guy named Rod who would do pretty much anything you'd like to your sub. His daytime sidekick ended up quitting and running a Subway in Niagara Falls, and later Ridgeway. Rod sold it to the Reids (who initially ran it themselves, even the front lines, to much comedy), who would bounce between their sports store next door and Subway. The Reids sold the sports store and well, you know the rest.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah. The people who own it now also own the new one in Stevensville. I've never had an issue asking for extra veggies, ore sauce or anything like that and the bread doesn't seem to be small and "compressed" like some of the others I've been to.

I used to go to Mr. Sub at the corner of Bunting and Welland Ave (is it even still there?) a lot when I lived in St. Cats. I used to get a pizza sub on the cheddar bread. I thought it tasted fresher than what you would get at Subway at the time. Been years since I've been to a Mr. Sub though so who knows.

I must say though, I am typically underwhelmed by Pita Pit. It's good, but certainly not something I'd buy over Subway.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to Ian1

to Ian1
If you want to see a real sandwich artist, search YouTube for "subway guy jay".