share rss forum feed

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

1 edit

[WIN7] Possible to recover my install?

I have a borked Win 7 install that went bananas after I switched a 660TI for 560TI. I used System Restore but I think that did more damage because I symlinked my Users directory from C:\Users to D:\Users.

The positive, is that all of my data is safe (Photos/Music/etc)

The negative, is that my registry edits and symlinking have locked me out of the install unless I do a Safe Boot.

I believe I can restore the system if I am able to achieve:
Remove all user accounts from the system
Add 2 user accounts (Nick and Cathy)
Symlink from C:\Users\Nick to D:\Users\Nick
Put my original Nick folder in place and reset the security features (SID?) to the newly created account

Alternatively, I could reinstall Windows but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything.
--
-Stupidity, like hydrogen, is one of the basic building blocks of the Universe.
-Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Misc

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
If you don't have install media, other than the OEM .iso image then you will have to source a DVD or create an .iso of Win 7 SP1 as per the link found in the tutorial I've linked.

Repair will take it back to the core without updates and please copy off all of your data first as a keep safe.

»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/34···all.html
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
reply to Nick
I won't be able to go past step 1 (boot into an admin account) unless in safe mode and I can't install from Safe Mode. I would need to create a new admin account first but it would have to be a CLI command in safe mode or recovery mode

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

Sorry, quite a valid point. Apologies.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
Smithtown, NY
reply to Nick
I am able to boot back I just need to recover my user profiles.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix the temporary profile issue? I believe the folders on D:\Users don't have the right permissions/ownership?

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Borked profiles can be a huge PITA. Here's one place that talks about restoring a profile: »memphistech.net/?p=60

These guys have all sorts of tools for taking back ownership of profiles: »www.forensit.com/profwiz-faqs.html

I've use their stuff to recover from a server crash at a client that had no backups.