uniqs
share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

[Help] Brake fluid amount needed for a complete flush?

For an average pickup truck (F150, Ram 1500, etc) or average passenger car, how much new, sealed brake fluid should I have to flush the system? By flush I mean to drain the master cylinder reservoir and bleed each of the four tires until fresh fluid comes out of each.

Trimox

join:2012-09-24
Anywhere

Short of not having a pressure change setup, I do have the 1 wheel vac system but still not that easy. I can do it with 2qts most of the time less. I just run a tube at each wheel bleeder into a soda can (or equivalent repository), crack each bleeder and make sure master cylinder doesn't run dry. Can be done with 1 person all four wheels at the same time. **Caution** at no point press the brake pedal. It will gravity feed. Of course the front left will clear first and then the fr, rl, rr, so just close them as they clear.

Just a simple way I found to bleed brakes by myself. Also works when putting on new master cylinder or to try and find out if master cylinder is going bad.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

said by Trimox:

I can do it with 2qts most of the time less.

If that is true, I'll need six 12 oz. containers of brake fluid (2 qts=64 oz)?!?

shdesigns