Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:10
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

1 recommendation

[IPv6] Must one do anything to get IPv6 turned on?

So do you have to do anything "special" to get IPv6 turned on?

»www.comcast6.net/ states my CMTS is IPv6 ready

I am running a D3 Moto SB6121 which is an IPv6 ready device, but is running in IPv4 only mode

Not that I am overly concerned about not having IPv6 atm, but I am curious why it is not enabled if both the CMTS and my modem are both IPv6 ready...

Split from this topic --> »[IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6?
Title adjusted to fit the new topic.
sortofageek See Profile

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:81

Re: [IPv6] Why all the hoopla over IPv6?

said by ILpt4U:

So do you have to do anything "special" to get IPv6 turned on?

What kind of router do you have? Your modem and CMTS are good so it would be your turn ..
--
Comcaster.. Network Engineer with NETO

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

ASUS RT-N66U -- gotta edit the IPv6 setting there I suppose?

edit -- yeah, I feel st00p1d -- enabled IPv6 on the router, and boom, I have IPv6 going

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

said by ILpt4U:

ASUS RT-N66U -- gotta edit the IPv6 setting there I suppose?

I have the same and have it set to Native with DHCP-PD and itjust picks up the needed info automatically.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
ASUS RT-N66U is really nice and easy to use..
--

MarylandDude

@comcast.net
I have a similar situation - cmts is ipv6 ready - I have the Sb6120 modem and asus rt-n56u - the firmware on the router has ipv6 setting - I set the ipv6 settings to native/dhcp - but I still don't get an ipv6 ip address - ideas?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
I would try a reboot.. If it doesn't work try a factory reset.. Every time you make a change a reboot maybe in order..
--

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to ILpt4U

Re: [IPv6] Must one do anything to get IPv6 turned on?

I can't get IPV6 to work in panama city anymore. I'm running the TG862G in bridge mode with a linksys e4200v2 for my router. For a short time maybe about a month I was able to get a ipv6 address, but after many early morning outages it not longer works. No amount of modem or router reboots helps. Comcast6.net reports "Your CMTS is ready for IPv6".

The modem reports:
DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:
IPv4 Attempt(s) 0
IPv6 Attempt(s) 3

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by BiGdUsTy:

The modem reports:
DHCP Attempts to obtain CM IP Address:
IPv6 Attempt(s) 3

This tells me your modem is in IPv6 mode on the Cable Modem Management interface.. Doesn't mean anything for the CPE side.. But I can tell you once IPv6 is turned up we are not turning it off.. Check and see if your receiving RA's or put a Windows 7 PC directly on the modem and see if you get a v6 address. Leave the modem in bridge mode you should receive a 2001:558 address on the PC.
--

MarylandDude

@comcast.net
reply to NetDog

said by NetDog:

I would try a reboot.. If it doesn't work try a factory reset.. Every time you make a change a reboot maybe in order..

I connected my sb6120 modem to my pc directly and did not get an IPV6 IP address - that is until I truned off ipv4 in the NIC settings.. then when I went to comcast6 - I finally got an IPv6 address.. As for the router (asus rt-n56u) it seems that Padavans firmware (latest) does not support DHCP-PD - so I flashed the router to the latest Stock Asus firmware which DOES support DHCP-PD - however, after I turned on ipv6 with DHCP-PD enabled - and rebooted both the router and modem - I still got an IPv4 address - of course I had to reenable ipv4 in my nic settings to even get that to work.
I will try factory reset of my router next -
My QUESTION is - why did I need to turn off ipv4 to get ipv6 to work when I bypassed my router? seems I should not have to do that.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by Anon80:

My QUESTION is - why did I need to turn off ipv4 to get ipv6 to work when I bypassed my router? seems I should not have to do that.

You are correct, we are supporting dual-stack you will receive both an IPv4 address and IPv6 address..
--

MarylandDude

@comcast.net
said by NetDog:

said by Anon80:

You are correct, we are supporting dual-stack you will receive both an IPv4 address and IPv6 address..

I have done a hard reset of my router - the ipv6 lan settings look good -- Prefix is 2601:a...and a lan address has been assigned - but I am still getting only an ipv4 WAN address - it seems comcast keeps handing out the same 76.26..... address no matter what I do with the router settings/reboot/resetetc... even though I can get an ipv6 address when I bypass the router - frustrated ..

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
reply to BiGdUsTy

Dusty, no problems on the beach side with Arris 722 and Asus RT-AC66U. But I do usually reboot my router when I make any changes.
--
Knirps for moisture.

Reboot_Modem

@comcast.net
reply to MarylandDude

said by Anon80:

My ANSWER is - you probably did not reboot or power cycle the cable modem when you bypassed the router and connected a PC directly to the cable modem. Unless you are a business class customer (or are paying for multiple IP addresses), the modem will remember the MAC address of the first device that it finds after a reset or power cycle, and any devices after that first detection will be ignored. IPv4 and IPv6 addresses are assigned independently, so that is why you could get an IPv6 address for your PC from Comcast, but not an IPv4 address.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
Parker, CO
said by Anon80:

My ANSWER is - you probably did not reboot or power cycle the cable modem when you bypassed the router and connected a PC directly to the cable modem.

This is correct any time you switch out devices that are public facing to the internet you need to reboot the modem. If the cable modem is in eRouter mode then no reboot required..
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
FWIW, "eRouter" = combo modem / router gateway device.

Reboot_Modem

@comcast.net
reply to NetDog
said by NetDog:

said by Reboot_Modem :

My ANSWER is - you probably did not reboot or power cycle the cable modem when you bypassed the router and connected a PC directly to the cable modem.

This is correct any time you switch out devices that are public facing to the internet you need to reboot the modem. If the cable modem is in eRouter mode then no reboot required..

The key word in my previous post was "modem". The SB6120 (the device which my post referenced) is a modem, not a gateway box (some of us know the difference and don't perpetuate the confusion that is generated by ISPs). ISPs (and their employees) need to stop calling gateway boxes "modems". Gateway boxes may contain a modem, but they are not a "modem".

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by Anon80:

said by NetDog:

said by Reboot_Modem :

The key word in my previous post was "modem". The SB6120 (the device which my post referenced) is a modem, not a gateway box (some of us know the difference and don't perpetuate the confusion that is generated by ISPs). ISPs (and their employees) need to stop calling gateway boxes "modems". Gateway boxes may contain a modem, but they are not a "modem".

You rather call it a terminal adapter then?

If not, what name would you like them to call it?

Thank you
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

said by aefstoggaflm:

If not, what name would you like them to call it?

Thank you

How 'bout a "gateway device" ???

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
From »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residentia ··· _gateway more like residential gateway.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

Suppose one has a business class gateway device.

BiGdUsTy

join:2005-10-20
Panama City Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Master Wolfe

After about 4 more reboots of my e4200v2 finally pulled a v6 address. Looks like firmware version: 2.0.37 has some issues pulling a ipv6 address. Newer firmware is available but it's the cloud based crap.