uniqs

G00SE
Premium Member
join:2003-03-07
Conroe, TX

G00SE

Premium Member

[Scam] Scam...Not Sure at this time...

I ran across a site 'www.blockacountry.com', that offered free country blocking. The site allowed one to log in using his FaceBook credentials, with the stipulation that you and all your contacts info would be available to their site. I didn't see any other way to log in, but may have missed it.
I didn't fall for this one, but did check out their "page" on FaceBook. I checked FaceBook help (it's impossible to receive an ""REAL"" assistance from the company that gobbles up tons of personal info an hour), and found that using FaceBooks suggested way of blocking the page wouldn't work, because on the drop down menu on their page, there was no 'privacy' and 'report' listed, as their help stated. I was thinking, since this is a "page" and not a user, I would think one would have to find out who the actual user is, and block them if he wished to block the page... I'm not sure why a site that offered country blocks would want with all the info one had on FB, but it doesn't sound too professional or on the up and up. Perhaps the site owner just sells the info to spammers, advertisers, or whoever. I'm sure he doesn't want it as an academic exercise !

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

What is a country block?

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to G00SE

Premium Member

to G00SE
yea, what is a country block? I steer clear of pages that want access to my friends and/or contacts. there's usually nefarious reasons for that (spamming them or tricking them into things, etc).

what are you blocking a country from.....?

G00SE
Premium Member
Conroe, TX

G00SE

Premium Member

A country block for my purposes is a CIDR (or several CIDR's) block of that countries IP address range. I'm using it to block countries such as Russia, UAE, and other countries that one can find on the Sophos site that are the top e-mail spam offenders. I know no one in any of these countries, therefore, I have no need to receive anything from them. If I had some special case where some vendor or person needed valid access, I could make an exception and whitelist them. It's also nice on PF (or other) firewalls too, as it keeps the hackers away. But, it's actually a never ending task, as spammers and hackers find more and more ways to exploit, spoof, etc, etc... valid IP addresses and valid domain names. It really made me a little uneasy, reading the report on the Sophos site; there are so many tricks, spoofs, and ways to gain access to one's PC it's becoming a real challenge even to many corporations, and we all hear about how the government's systems are routinely hacked.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Well based on your other post I see you are already using spamassasin, you might also check out SpamHaus and hpHosts.

Good luck!

G00SE
Premium Member
Conroe, TX

G00SE

Premium Member

Thanks, I'll give 'em a shot, but I'm restricted to Spamassassin or SpamHaus if I'm not mistaken, but not both.
'Thinking of lower the threshold again to see if that might help...