spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TravelNurse

@mchsi.com

Can router be used to receive wifi & distribute via Ethernet

I'm a travel nurse, so I stay in extended stay hotels a lot. I travel with my desktop & VOIP phone, but most hotels no longer have ethernet outlets in the rooms, just wifi. Makes it hard to plug in my VOIP & performance of my desktop is diminished.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v3 wireless router and I was wondering if I could use it to receive the wireless signal and plug my VOIP & desktop via the routing ethernet ports?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Unknown for sure but I would that can be done, however be advised that..

#1 If that router is under warranty, if you load third party firmware (like DD-WRT for example) you just voided your warranty.

#2 Be sure to follow all precautions/steps or else you will brick the router.

I point to third party site

a) dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Install and

b) to dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Client Mode
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

TravelNurse

@mchsi.com

Thanks very much aefstoggaflm! The second solution is what looks like it'll work. I am, however, stuck on step 4. It is telling me to set my computer to a static IP address. Alas, I don't know how to do that with Windows 7. Can you help me with that?

dickmead
Premium
join:1999-08-22
Pasadena, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
·Charter

Here's a tutorial on setting static ip..
»www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/ho···ndows-7/
Downside is some hotels may require a sign-in that can't be satisfied except by using your web browser on your computer, so a router would be foiled..good luck

skipon11
Premium
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to TravelNurse

Just purchase a USB wireless Dongle and plug it into a USB port on the desktop.

skipon11
Premium
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

I think the internal cards cost a little more,but work a little better,if you have a big box store like Best Buy near you they will install it for you,if you can't yourself.»www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···r&N=-1&i

TravelNurse

@mchsi.com
reply to TravelNurse

Thanks everyone! I've got handled!