how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UT_Texan

join:2013-08-27
Leander, TX

FTTP, TV, max turbo and Power tier questions

I am currently in the Austin,Tx market on FTTP with U450, VOIP, and the Max Turbo 24/3 internet.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone with FTTP been able to subscribe to the Power Tier?
2. If you have FTTP and Max Turbo is there any way to upgrade the bandwidth from 26960400?
3. With FTTP and Power what would our bandwidth increase to? Would it be enough so that the TV doesn't eat up your internet bandwidth as it does now?
4. Is true that in less than 2 weeks people in SW region can order Power Tier but FTTP customers in Austin will have to wait even longer because of Google fiber?

UT_Texan

join:2013-08-27
Leander, TX

any information anyone?

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to UT_Texan

Unfortunately, no one outside of AT&T has these answers at the moment.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
reply to UT_Texan

You should just be happy you even get 24mb. Here 18mb is the highest they'll do on FTTP, my install is 10/4.

Paralel

Michigan, US

Well, it all depends on what type of ONT is in your neck of the woods. BPON type is only currently capable of using the 25/2 profile, which provides a maximum of 18/1.5 internet. If you are GPON type you can get the 32/5 profile, which provides a maximum of 24/3.

For the Power tier BPONs will need to be converted to GPONs.

benk016

Owasso, OK

I plan on trying everything possible to make sure I get put on GPON, however I don't know if they have GPON here yet. I'd hate to get put on BPON and then in 6 months they charge me to upgrade to GPON.

Paralel

Michigan, US
reply to UT_Texan

Well, if the xPON was installed as part of the construction of your house, you'll probably have to pay to have a GPON unit installed since the xPON you currently have does not belong to AT&T, and thus, they have no responsibility to upgrade it. Once you have a GPON installed, it needs to be matched by a GPON card at your local cabinet, otherwise you'll still be stuck with BPON limitations. However, once you have a GPON, there is no good reason why they couldn't swap your card to match your new xPON.

benk016

Owasso, OK

Right now there is nothing on my house as its got about a week left from being finished. The install date is 10/4 and I'm guessing someone will come by before then and run the fiber to the house.

Paralel

Michigan, US

You're in good shape then if AT&T is providing the xPON, but, unfortunately, you'll be stuck with whatever your area has, either BPON or GPON. The good thing is that even if you're stuck with BPON now, once GPON is offered in your area it won't cost you for the upgrade.

benk016

Owasso, OK

My hope is that once its installed I'll actually be on GPON and then they can bump me to 24mb, and then 45 once its available. Thank you Paralel for the info. Glad to know it won't cost me to upgrade.